FNG From Phoenix Area

Hello there,

I'm a new hunter trying to learn the basics. I've always enjoyed hiking, camping, and guns, so I figured combining them all into one hobby would save me some time. So far I've managed to kill several jack rabbits (quite tasty despite the reports I read), some dove, and a few squirrels. I've also been on a failed turkey and javelina hunt so far. I learn a little bit more each time and I'm hoping I get the hang of it at some point. I got drawn for late rifle elk in AZ this year so I'm hoping to step my game up even further.

I've been lurking here for a while, and I appreciate the snobbery and elitism of this forum. I also like the taste of your Kool-Aid and my next purchase will be a 6.5CM Tikka T3X variant with a Trijicon scope.

Thanks for having me.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new , and fellow Arizonian, member.

Eddie

Ingi?

FNG
Where did you pull your late rifle tag. I had 22N, late rifle last year. Got luck for 4a archery this year.

OP
fattycakez
Where did you pull your late rifle tag. I had 22N, late rifle last year. Got luck for 4a archery this year.
I got 4B. 4A late archery sounds like a fun tag. I wasn't really expecting to get drawn since I only had 1 bonus point, so we'll see how it goes! Did you have any luck in 22N?

Ingi?

FNG
I got 4B. 4A late archery sounds like a fun tag. I wasn't really expecting to get drawn since I only had 1 bonus point, so we'll see how it goes! Did you have any luck in 22N?
We saw more cows than bulls. Saw a small bull at sundown on the first night that we didnt relocate in the AM. Saw a really nice bull on my last day that was on the boarder of where I could legally shoot (1/4 mile) from property. We tried to wait the animal out and see if it moved in the direction we wanted to but ultimately were unsuccessful.
In hindsight we should have spent more time on the Mongollon Rim looking down into 22N. We spent precious time hiking into areas that had good signs before but no such luck but if I did that hunt over I'd spend alot more time up on the rim.. I also underestimated how many people would be ripping up and through the trails, I thought i had some areas that were remote and in actuality they were not at all.. coulda shoulda woulda :)

Excited about the low quantity of hunters in my unit for the upcoming hunt :).

OP
fattycakez
We saw more cows than bulls. Saw a small bull at sundown on the first night that we didnt relocate in the AM. Saw a really nice bull on my last day that was on the boarder of where I could legally shoot (1/4 mile) from property. We tried to wait the animal out and see if it moved in the direction we wanted to but ultimately were unsuccessful.
In hindsight we should have spent more time on the Mongollon Rim looking down into 22N. We spent precious time hiking into areas that had good signs before but no such luck but if I did that hunt over I'd spend alot more time up on the rim.. I also underestimated how many people would be ripping up and through the trails, I thought i had some areas that were remote and in actuality they were not at all.. coulda shoulda woulda :)

Excited about the low quantity of hunters in my unit for the upcoming hunt :).
Well it sounds like you learned a good bit during the hunt!

Only 28 other hunters during that late archery hunt sounds pretty good; I thought 150 during the late rifle in 4B was a small number relative to some of the other hunts 😂. What made you chose 4A? I kind of chose 4B on a whim because I have a friend with some land up there and I've been there a few times to hunt rabbits. After doing some e-scouting, it looks like there aren't many places to get up high and glass, so I'm kinda worried. I would imagine 4A is not too different. Should be fun!

Ingi?

FNG
I didnt like any of the odds for early elk of any weapon. I weeded through odds on Toprut and sort of narrowed the hunts down to ones i thought I would be able to scout and ones I knew I likely would not. SE corner of 4a is 2 hours from my doorstep so it ranked higher than some of the other units and ultimately I got had some luck on my side.
I like the lower part of 4a/4b and will go up scouting in the not too distant future. i'll let you know if i see anything promising.

OP
fattycakez
I didnt like any of the odds for early elk of any weapon. I weeded through odds on Toprut and sort of narrowed the hunts down to ones i thought I would be able to scout and ones I knew I likely would not. SE corner of 4a is 2 hours from my doorstep so it ranked higher than some of the other units and ultimately I got had some luck on my side.
I like the lower part of 4a/4b and will go up scouting in the not too distant future. i'll let you know if i see anything promising.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm planning on going once a month or so until the hunt, I'll let you know if I see anything also.