FNG from SE Minnesota

johnsd16

WKR
New to posting on Rokslide, have lurked off an on for a couple years. Made my first trip out west to SE MT for deer last year with a buddy. We hunted BLM/state and some BMAs. We both tagged mature but not impressive scoring bucks. One muley and one WT. We got our feet wet on packing up an animal and carrying it out a few miles (3-5) and it went really well. We are both experienced MN deer hunters both archery and firearms, as well as trappers. Last year we did between 7 and 15 miles per day walking and learned a lot about what to do/look for and what not to do.

We are building points in WY and UT (yes UT) and will be hunting MT again this year. I counted on leftover deer combos again but the 500 that were left sold in 6 hours so I'm hunting on a big game combo this year, and trying to find a way to work a cow/calf elk into our plans. We take 9 days in mid November for deer and hunt region 7 east of miles city, but I have been looking at some units in regions 3, 4 and 5 for a possible elk jaunt. I also have a long weekend in October that coincides with the shoulder seasons and general opener that could be used to try and knock down a cow or calf. My hope is to be able to track down a private rancher that is willing to have someone fill a cow tag on their place (for free). The biologists I have emailed have been surprisingly unhelpful, unwilling to comment at all on elk usage of BMAs in their area.

Specifically I have interest in 520, 560, 448, 302, and 325.

I now have at least a shred of experience on hunting and applying in some states that I feel I can have some positive contribution to a site like this. Not an expert by any means but starting to crawl.

Some introduction pictures.....
I got my 7 yo (oldest) son got his first animal this year. Amazing time seeing my little guy get so pumped up for a hunt and connect.
image_zpsfpwzzrla.jpg

My 2016 bow bird
image_zps08ub3tcy.jpg

2015 MT WT
image_zps2mqw3k2m.jpg

Ready to pack out my partners 2015 MT MD
image_zpsvtbsj7iz.jpg