FNG from the mountains of Southwest Virginia

I've learned a great deal on this site over the past few years, and want to start off by saying "thank you" to everyone who, unknowingly, by sharing their experience on rokslide has pointed me in the right direction. This extends even to those of you who, through gear recommendations, have cost me a fair amount of money. :)

Like most folks around rural Virginia, I grew up hunting deer, and always wanted to get as far from civilization as possible, even if that resulted in my seeing few, if any, animals. I became hooked for life on the Western model of hunting when I went on my first New Mexico elk hunt with a longtime friend (and fellow Rokslider). I discovered this site doing research for that trip. Since then, I've come to realize that many concepts and practices of the DIY/Backpack western hunting culture could translate well to the Eastern public land wilderness deer hunting context.

I'm a photography nerd, guilty of allocating way too much pack weight for DSLR lenses. I work in the GIS industry, and I've found applications for my "day job" in land navigation, terrain modeling and habitat classification while thinking about, and planning for hunting trips. I enjoy archery and all the associated obsessive tinkering and tuning, as well as reloading for my rifle hunts. Most of all, though, I enjoy reconnecting with the wilderness as often as possible, disappearing for a time, and filling a freezer for the family on those rare occasions when my "armed hikes" result in me actually killing an animal.

I hope that in time I'll be able to pay forward the benefits I've received from reading the posts of others.