FNG in NM with some Lessons Learned

flyboy214

FNG
I grew up in MD and DE hunting public land with muzzleloader, shotgun and bow. I didn't get an early start hunting and asked to go for years and years. Now I live in New Mexico for work and I am trying to figure out the whole western hunting thing. I am just about 30 and an avid cyclist in the off season.

I learned to hunt from my uncle who has killed over 200 deer with a bow and now runs a blood trailing service out of Delaware. He lives and breathes hunting and usually tags out in 3 states.

I have plenty of lessons learned and I am happy to join the group. In my local friend groups, I am the one who helps people tune bows, build arrows, troubleshoot rifles and stay motivated to hunt.

Archery lessons
Build your own arrows and take time tuning
Sharpen your Broadheads and shoot them out to your max range
average arrows with 125 gr heads work fine
if you are shooting 50 lbs or less a 2 blade broadhead is going to help
Arrow wraps are worth the convenience
Larger cutting diameter does not make up for shot placement, our longest tracks have been for gut shot deer hit with 2 inch mech heads.
Aim low on Spooky Game! keep the arrow speed above 250 fps
Don't worry about Scapula on a deer
Books on hunting help more than watching stuff on youtube
-Shoot or Don't Shoot by Phil mendoza
-Timeless Bowhunting by Roy S. Marlow

Muzzleloader
have realistic goals for your blackpowder rifles.
if your gun likes it, BH 209 is friggin awesome
Harvester Crush rib sabots will make most bullets shoot their best
Choose a bullet that is build to expand quickly for deer. My uncle has see better recovery rates for bullets with large hollow points on deer.

Rifle
Practice in the backyard with a pellet gun will keep you sharp
Plan to have your impact velocity above 1900 FPS depending on the bullet
let the rifle cool with the bolt back and the rifle vertical between shots

Nothing is a replacement for woodsmanship.

I am happy to join the party here and learn more about mule deer and elk hunting. If you read all of this, let me know your favorite book on western hunting. I am always looking to improve in the off season.

Reactions: ZDR

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie