FNG that just moved to Boise

I have been a lurker on this forum for almost a year but didn't really start posting till the last couple months. Figured I should make a FNG post and introduce myself.

My name is Landon and I was recently transferred to the Meridian Boise area for work. Originally from Iowa. I went to college at WSU and as most people know the campus is only 8 miles from Idaho. Washington doesn't like freedom and outdoorsman so I got out fast but I did fall in love with Idaho and have done quite a bit of hunting within the state. I found a steal of a deal on a farmhouse to rent down by Melba, ID. 3 bedroom house on 50 acres for the same price as a 1-2 bedroom apartment in Meridian. I have been here for 2 weeks. With that being said I had a few questions about the treasure valley and SW Idaho.

I am looking for a roommate, ideally someone that is into the outdoors and hunts so if you or someone you know is needing a place to live lmk? Rent would be $750 and its 32 minutes from Meridian.

What is the legal distance to shoot around an occupied dwelling without permission? In most states its 200 yards or feet but I cant find any information on Idahos laws. I plan to build a 100 yard range on the property and I have neighbors relatively close by.

What sort of huntable animals can I find down by Melba Idaho and the Snake? I have heard deer and antelope are pretty scarce within unit 39. I have yet to see any. I have seen or heard a fair amount of coyotes, waterfowl, California quail and doves so far. Are rabbits, pheasants, partridge, elk, etc seen down here?

Are the unlimited Antelope archery hunts worth it in SW Idaho?

Where are the general areas around the treasure valley that are elk wintering range? The reason I am asking is because this winter has been so mild and I have no idea where to start. I know everyone hates when people ask for spots so that's why this is super general I don't need waypoints.

The best gun builders and gunsmiths within Idaho?

Are you allowed to get a general deer, a general short range weapon only, and a general whitetail tag all in one year? Regs are confusing.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I'm glad to be a part of it. I have learned a ton already.

Thanks!!

-LB

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member, Landon.

Eddie

rafiki

FNG
sounds like a sweet spot. not sure about the shooting regs but you're probably about 30 min from black's creek range in kuna so that's always an option.

Matt5266

WKR
Welcome from Nampa Idaho. Agreed on the meet up. That's alot to answer and would be better in person

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, I went to UI. Living in SE ID and working on relocating back to Boise area.

Everyone and their dog hunts unit 39. Get off the four wheeler trails and you can find honey holes. While in Melba take some time to check out the Owyhees. Again getting off the trails is the way to go.

Last year was my first year doing an unlimited pronghorn archery tag. Honestly didn't see as many hunters as I anticipated. The goats saw me though. 🤣