FNG Virginia

Gridbox

FNG
Hello all,
Long time eastern hunter here. Getting into western hunting recently. Excuse me while I drag this out to reach post level 10.

OP
G

Gridbox

FNG
I have been on 2 private land elk hunts in CO. We hunted an acquaintances ranch just outside Westcliffe.

On the first hunt we didn’t see much but my buddy got lucky on the last night of the hunt and tagged a 5x5 coming off the public land onto the ranch.

Fast forward 2 years, same ranch. The first day of our hunt we see several elk with bulls on other private land we can’t hunt. However, that morning I saw one bull break off of the herd and head into the timber just across the fence line from my hunting spot. In the evening, about an hour before dark, the bull I saw in the morning emerges from the timber on the neighboring property. He heads my way at 200 yds. I get everything ready thinking “this is it”. When he’s 50 yds from the fence, I hear a shot ring out. The bull gets nervous and decides to head back the way he came. Turns out my buddy (same one) ended up shooting another 5x5 about 1000yds away. Lucky sob!

Last edited:
OP
G

Gridbox

FNG
Now for this year, I’m still looking to fill my first elk tag. Myself and another buddy have drawn NM elk tags for Unit 45 muzzleloader.

OP
G

Gridbox

FNG
Being our first time to that unit and it being mostly wilderness, we will be going guided. However, our goal is to do a DIY western elk hunt every year as cost effectively as possible.

OP
G

Gridbox

FNG
This will be my first backcountry hunt so I’m a bit nervous. In the east, good gear isn’t quite as important. I have purchased a pair of Crispi boots and am in the process of breaking them in. Luckily we have some good hiking in the Shenandoah mountains and we will be training there. I’m still in the market for a good pack.

OP
G

Gridbox

FNG
I know it will be a little late but I’m hoping to hear a bull bugle. I haven’t heard that in the wild yet but I hear it is awesome and really gets your heart pumping.

OP
G

Gridbox

FNG
Your not far from me I'd assume than.

While looking for a pack if you would like to see an EXO k2 in person let me know. Also use a Hill People Gear decker frame and bag.

Thanks for the offer. I have been looking into Exo and Mystery Ranch. I have a buddy who highly recommends Hill People Gear as well.

I just haven’t been able to bring myself to the point of spending so much $$$ on a pack yet. Since this hunt will be guided, I’m not sure I will need the high end pack this season. If I come across a good deal though, I’ll probably consider it. I have been keeping an eye on the classifieds.