For Those Of You Who've Been To Total Archery Challenge (TAC)

OP
B
Do you just buy premtherin online? Or at sportsmans or something? I have never used it before...Is there a brand people trust?

Do you just buy premtherin online? Or at sportsmans or something? I have never used it before...Is there a brand people trust?
Sawyer has worked well for me. It's odorless and comes premixed at the appropriate concentration for use on clothing (0.5%). Higher concentration permethrin intended for livestock or lawn use can be diluted for treating clothes, but it's typically petroleum based and will leave a diesel-like smell on your clothes. Sawyer is water based and odorless.
https://www.sawyer.com/products/permethrin-fabric-treatment

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
The mosquitos haven't been bad around little cottonwood canyon but big cottonwood has a bit more water so maybe you'll want some spray. Ticks aren't typically found above 7.5k but they've been pushing higher in recent years.

Fyi, power lines are getting buried in BCC on the road. It can cause significant delays so plan ahead. Access thru guardsman's pass might cut down on your wait if it's a busy weekend.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Get the Sawyer brand that is formulated for use on clothes in the yellow and black bottle or can. I can buy it from Walmart, Tractor Supply, or Bass Pro.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reviving an older thread....

Preparing for my first TAC in May (Seven Springs PA). Getting my Bow/Sight dialed in, building arrows, and Practice practice practice, is on my agenda currently.

One question- Do you all worry about your practice tips for arrows? Or just whatever grain you plan on shooting?

ncavi8tor

WKR

Preparing for my first TAC in May (Seven Springs PA). Getting my Bow/Sight dialed in, building arrows, and Practice practice practice, is on my agenda currently.

One question- Do you all worry about your practice tips for arrows? Or just whatever grain you plan on shooting?
I'm going to TAC in PA also. It will be my second time there. A lot of people use the same arrows they will be hunting with in the Fall. I build 2 dozen arrows specifically for TAC type events and local 3D shoots. They are much lighter than my hunting arrows and have a flatter trajectory. It's really up to you. It's a fun shoot!! Good luck!

NC

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider

Not sure what you mean by worrying about practice tips, but I also have a separate set of arrows that I shoot for 3D throughout the spring/summer. I built some that are ~360 grains with tiny Bohning Air vanes to get as much clearance and stretch my sight tape out as far as I could.

There's basically two schools of thought that I've seen for TAC:
1) Build a set of quality arrows dedicated to that type of shooting
2) Buy really cheap arrows so you don't feel as bad when you break/lose them

Not sure what you mean by worrying about practice tips, but I also have a separate set of arrows that I shoot for 3D throughout the spring/summer. I built some that are ~360 grains with tiny Bohning Air vanes to get as much clearance and stretch my sight tape out as far as I could.

There's basically two schools of thought that I've seen for TAC:
1) Build a set of quality arrows dedicated to that type of shooting
2) Buy really cheap arrows so you don't feel as bad when you break/lose them
I'm not worrying, I guess what I mean is do you just use cheap steel tips from amazon? Or any specific field points to look for. I may be making this more difficult than it needs to be.
I'm building 24 arrows for this event. So I was going to grab a 24pk of cheap field points off amazon.

Hey All TAC(ers),

Going to my first TAC event in Utah next month. I was wondering if there are venders available to purchase equipment/items? I've seen pics of booths, but like Kuiu, Exo, SG, Kifaru, Iron Will ect, will they have a booth I could purchase items from? This is obviously not the reason I'm going to TAC, but if there is an option to look at some equipment before just pulling the trigger blind on the website and paying for return shipping I would be interested.

Bonus questions: What's the one thing you wish you new before going to a TAC event...?
We went to the SA TAC year before last I believe. Wife wanted a bunch of Kuiu stuff and was excited to be able to try it all on first before buying. They had some demo stuff but honestly hardly any inventory to actually purchase, she ended up trying on a pair of something that were men's size because they didn't have women's and walked away empty handed without buying anything. It was pretty disappointing.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I'm not worrying, I guess what I mean is do you just use cheap steel tips from amazon? Or any specific field points to look for. I may be making this more difficult than it needs to be.
I'm building 24 arrows for this event. So I was going to grab a 24pk of cheap field points off amazon.
Cheap field points are fine as long as their weight is consistent. There will be some very long shots at TAC and a small weight variance between arrows could make a significant POI difference. I sort my finished arrows by weight and group them accordingly.

NC

Cheap field points are fine as long as their weight is consistent. There will be some very long shots at TAC and a small weight variance between arrows could make a significant POI difference. I sort my finished arrows by weight and group them accordingly.

NC

I will be weighing all my shafts and components to try and build them as close as I can.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, tracking now. I used some Victory glue-in target points for mine, but as long as the weight is consistent (check on a grain scale) you’re fine.

One thing I did just think of, I would strongly recommend using nock bushings or similar component. My nock bushings saved my arrows a few times from other shooters, only had to replace the nock instead of the whole arrow.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you haven't shot a TAC before and haven't practiced a lot at long distance, bringing a bunch of very low cost arrows is not a bad option. You will likely loose some and put some into boulders on the harder courses. Another approach is to put more money into the arrows and strengthen them up with Impact Collars and hardened steel inserts and points. This will generally save an arrow put into rocky dirt, trees or limbs. I like to use my exact hunting arrow setup for TAC events so that after shooting a few events (OK, CO, & MT this year), I'm totally confident in my setup going into hunting season. This year it will start with Caribou and then Elk where the shots can be longer. Good luck!

If you haven't shot a TAC before and haven't practiced a lot at long distance, bringing a bunch of very low cost arrows is not a bad option. You will likely loose some and put some into boulders on the harder courses. Another approach is to put more money into the arrows and strengthen them up with Impact Collars and hardened steel inserts and points. This will generally save an arrow put into rocky dirt, trees or limbs. I like to use my exact hunting arrow setup for TAC events so that after shooting a few events (OK, CO, & MT this year), I'm totally confident in my setup going into hunting season. This year it will start with Caribou and then Elk where the shots can be longer. Good luck!
I'll be bringing 24-30 arrows lol. I purchased 24 bloodsports off Camofire for like 60 a dozen to get that .001 straightness. delivered yesterday and on the spinner they look great!

appreciate the advice!

As stated, just check the weights. Sounds like you have a handle on it.

I use glue in 130 grain points for 3d and TAC events. Also use pin nocks. My hunting arrows are about 70 grains heavier so I retune after 3d season. I built up 3 dozen last year and still have half left. Between two TAC events I only lost or broke 8 or 9 I think. I only lost two the first two days in OK, and lost or broke 4 on the last day. At Terry peak, just a couple over 4 courses. That said, if I missed I didn't do multiple shots.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I will be weighing all my shafts and components to try and build them as close as I can.

I used to do this but came to the conclusion it was a waste of time.

It takes about 12-15 grains of variation to move your sight tape 1-2 yards at 100 yards. Just building arrows without weighing components, they still generally come in within 2-3 grains of each other (might have had a few go as far as 5 but I don't remember exactly).