FORLOH Recipe From The Founder : Wild Hog Chili Verde

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
1712677641666.png

WILD HOG CHILI VERDE

I have made this recipe many times with store bought pork shoulder and a couple of
years ago, decided to try wild hogs that were being harvested out of Texas, previously
destroying cropland habitat. These wild beasts do a great job, repurposed into Chili Verde, just remember, the smaller the hog the better the flavor. Big ole boars tend to be super gamey.

INGREDIENTS
- Wild Hog Shoulder Meat 3lbs+/-
- Chicken Stock
- Tomatillos
- Poblano Peppers or Similar
- Jalapeno Peppers (1 min, more for spice)
- Cilantro
- Onion
- Limes
- Garlic
- Seasonings: Cumin, Salt, Pepper, Saffron All Spice, Onion Powder

PORK PREP:
A couple of different methods, lead to the same result. I more times than not choose to
smoke the pork shoulder at 250F for 3-4 hours first, which locks in moisture and adds a Smokey accent of flavor to the dish. The other method would be to cube and fry in a frying pan searing all sides of the cubes, before putting into the stock base for simmering. Either way works, and its totally up to you.

PREP VEGETABLES:

Cut the Poblano Peppers long way in half, and place on a cookie sheet into the oven baking at 375F for 30 minutes or until they have a fire roasted look to the skin. Pull and blend into a paste.

Peel and cut the Tomatillos (10-15) in half and place in a large pot with chicken stock and seasonings and begin to simmer until they break down enough you can mash them in a sauce (30-45 min).

Add the Poblano and Jalapeno Peppers to the stock 20 minutes in.

PORK AND FINISH:
Add Onions, Lime and pork chunks to the stock and boil for at least another 45-60 minutes, until he pork starts to break apart.

Add the Cilantro at the end for the last 10 minutes of the simmering and you are done.

PLATING:
I like to top with avocado, fresh cilantro and a bit of Mexican blend cheese. Others will put sour cream.