Forster trimmer/neck turner

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in need of a case trimmer, and I've been looking at tge L.E. Wilson trimmer for a while now. I really like all their products I've used, and I like the design of their trimmer, especially the ability to inside ream. I'm also thinking of introducing neck turning into my process, and saw that you can do both operations on the Forster (as well as inside ream). I'm just curious if any of you guys have experience with the Forster and if you like it. If you have used the Forster and the Wilson, that would be even better. I wouldn't mind adding a K&M neck turner to the Wilson if it's that much better, but I'm not loading F-class ammo either. I'm a hunter and recreational medium range (600 yard) shooter. Any input appreciated.

i had a forster neck turner, threw it away about a year ago. also have an L.E. wilson trimmer, i'd be willing to sell that if you're interested (ad is still up here). the cartridges/chambers i'm shooting now just don't grow OAL enough to worry about trimming.

Axlrod

WKR
I have a couple Forster trimmers. The classic and the power trimmer that mounts in a drill press. With the 3 way cutter I can trim & inside/outside chamfer all at once. With the power trimmer I can do 10 cases/min. I use the classic hand trimmer if I don't have a lot to do. Both work very well.

I don't see a use for inside reaming of necks. And most use an outside turner to get the neck wall thinner. I have the Hornady, and it works well, but I absolutely only turn necks if the chamber was cut with a reamer that requires the neck to be turned. Or if i am necking down brass for a wildcat, and the neck wall is too thick.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple Forster trimmers. The classic and the power trimmer that mounts in a drill press. With the 3 way cutter I can trim & inside/outside chamfer all at once. With the power trimmer I can do 10 cases/min. I use the classic hand trimmer if I don't have a lot to do. Both work very well.

I don't see a use for inside reaming of necks. And most use an outside turner to get the neck wall thinner. I have the Hornady, and it works well, but I absolutely only turn necks if the chamber was cut with a reamer that requires the neck to be turned. Or if i am necking down brass for a wildcat, and the neck wall is too thick.
Good to know about the Forster trimmers. Necking down brass is exactly the reason for my interest in neck turning. I've got a 270 wsm being built, throated long with a 1:8 twist in a long action remington 700. The brass is somewhat tough to find, but 300 wsm is available in ADG and Norma and pretty easy to find. I looked at the case prints, and the neck is the only difference. So necking down with a bushing should work fine, but the neck, as you said, may be too thick to chamber.

Good to know about the Forster trimmers. Necking down brass is exactly the reason for my interest in neck turning. I've got a 270 wsm being built, throated long with a 1:8 twist in a long action remington 700. The brass is somewhat tough to find, but 300 wsm is available in ADG and Norma and pretty easy to find. I looked at the case prints, and the neck is the only difference. So necking down with a bushing should work fine, but the neck, as you said, may be too thick to chamber.

I have a forster trimmer with the power adapter and the 3-in-1 heads it works pretty well but it stays dusty ever since i got a giraud. Not familiar with how their neck turner works but I have used a K&M neck turner a fair bit in the past and it works well enough. Definitely want inside and outside in one pass.

I don't buy stuff that requires neck turning any more though! to heck with that.

Unckebob

WKR

If you want to convert the classic to the power trimmer, you can remove the handle and replace it with a nut from the hardware store. Sorry, i don't remember the thread pitch.

I love the 3-1 cutter. Consistent repeatable results.

Axlrod

WKR
If you want to convert the classic to the power trimmer, you can remove the handle and replace it with a nut from the hardware store. Sorry, i don't remember the thread pitch.

I love the 3-1 cutter. Consistent repeatable results.
I have this one mounted to a drill press: