Fort Collins vs Southern WY

Fatcamp

WKR
I'm sure what I had to say maybe came off strong, but I know people who have moved into town and think it's Mayberry. While few place are, you need to know and understand that when it comes to crime and drugs, your not leaving any of that behind. The average person drivers around town from maybe 7a.m. to maybe 9 p.m. I work for a utility company and have to work maintenance from midnight to 5 a.m. a couple times a month, that's when you find out how many cockroaches and rats are in your communities, I see more than I'd prefer. Does it exist on some level in every town USA? I'm sure, but like I said, don't think you're leaving any big city problems behind.
Wish you luck on your decision! One piece of advise compare 2 similar homes in different parts of town, you'll figure out real fast which parts of town, even with newer homes people don't want to live in for reasons stated above.

The only way to truly evaluate a community is to visit Walmart after midnight.

😆

Fatcamp

WKR
Better yet, go stay at a hotel in the Cheyenne area for a few days and let your wife take it all in. I know me, I'd rather be in Ft. Collins without a doubt. Ditto my wife, and now grown children.

Make sure you stay in the cheapest, rent by the week joint you can find.

We did years ago. It was, interesting. 😐

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Make sure you stay in the cheapest, rent by the week joint you can find.

We did years ago. It was, interesting. 😐
Might I suggest the Rodeo Inn, Firebird, or if you really want some memories, the bighorn motel. Very nice locally owned/operated establishments.

Fatcamp

WKR
To your point, I don't think either of our Walmarts are open that late anymore due to to many crime issues.

LOL. Then as late or early as possible.

We did while working an overnight tile project years ago. Needed to wait for stuff to set up and needed caffeine. Talk about an eye opening experience.

I've been around. Been homeless, lived in numerous metro areas, hung with the Rainbow family, but even I was surprised.

My coworkers had a life altering experience.

😬😟🤢😐

Fatcamp

WKR
Might I suggest the Rodeo Inn, Firebird, or if you really want some memories, the bighorn motel. Very nice locally owned/operated establishments.

I think we stayed at the Bighorn. I was helping my sister move from Salt Lake to Nashville. Had my mom and all the kids with us. A whole caravan.

My mom was mad because I told my sister people were dealing drugs and there were obvious prostitutes. 🙃

go_deep

WKR
I think we stayed at the Bighorn. I was helping my sister move from Salt Lake to Nashville. Had my mom and all the kids with us. A whole caravan.

My mom was mad because I told my sister people were dealing drugs and there were obvious prostitutes. 🙃

I was going to reply, then decided not, but now I decided to, lol.
The weekly rental hotels after 9 look like a scene out of a movie. Homeless piled up against the building, people walking around doing drugs and drinking, drug deals going down, the middle aged hooker, the guy yelling at his "woman" to get her ass back in their room. While mildly entertain, also depressing too.

Fatcamp

WKR
I was going to reply, then decided not, but now I decided to, lol.
The weekly rental hotels after 9 look like a scene out of a movie. Homeless piled up against the building, people walking around doing drugs and drinking, drug deals going down, the middle aged hooker, the guy yelling at his "woman" to get her ass back in their room. While mildly entertain, also depressing too.

Ya, I find all people and situations interesting, but the self destruction stuff is hard to witness.

It's always been there, but I think Fentanyl has really increased it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Nope but I’ll have to remember that one lol. I’m in the middle of nowhere. But for OP Eaton would definitely be better than FoCo, although they seem to be getting awfully uppity.
Gaelton? Used to goose hunt at a buddies place in Gaelton… man we stacked em deep on his corn field

Phaseolus

WKR
Nope but I’ll have to remember that one lol. I’m in the middle of nowhere. But for OP Eaton would definitely be better than FoCo, although they seem to be getting awfully uppity.
Just razzing you, I grew up on Harmony road, back then the area was fantastic. Now, I’m really happy to live on the Best Slope.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Haha I don’t know why so many care where I live. Your close but not quite more North. I have seen tons of geese out here i just need to get to know the local farmers better.
I don’t care haha just figured I’d guess, goose hunting is so much fun… hardest part about goose hunting though is eating all that flying liver haha 😂

I don’t care haha just figured I’d guess, goose hunting is so much fun… hardest part about goose hunting though is eating all that flying liver haha 😂
I have done a ton of Canadian and snow geese hunts when I lived on the east coast. Right on the Pennsylvania Maryland border. Family friend was a guide down there. I turned it all into jerky, that’s the only way I like it. Does taste just like liver.

TaperPin

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, never thought I’d get this many responses from my original post and they’ve all been greatly appreciated.

The job just let me know they may have me train in Utah (not sure how long) prior to coming to Cheyenne.

Thinking about investing in a pull behind camper and living out of that for a few months instead of paying for rent. However, I’m a little worried about the camper being able to handle the wind in Cheyenne. Anyone have an opinion if that’s going to be a really bad idea? Would be nice to invest some equity in a camper (wife has been wanting one for years) instead of paying rent for a few months.
You might be just fine in a camp trailer, or you might be miserable. If you’re protected with trees and the neighbors are retired folk with big RVs, I’ve had some great nights with the get togethers they always seem to have. Stay away from the cheapest places that attract construction workers, oilfield types, and semi homeless. Worst case, the wind blows enough you can’t sleep and sleep deprived you might not be as easy going, and you end up renting anyway.

Finding a good rental in a small town is often a lot of asking everyone you come in contact with if they know a place, and not every landlord likes to post online because of the flood of craziness that involves.

OP
Fever Buck
You might be just fine in a camp trailer, or you might be miserable. If you’re protected with trees and the neighbors are retired folk with big RVs, I’ve had some great nights with the get togethers they always seem to have. Stay away from the cheapest places that attract construction workers, oilfield types, and semi homeless. Worst case, the wind blows enough you can’t sleep and sleep deprived you might not be as easy going, and you end up renting anyway.

Finding a good rental in a small town is often a lot of asking everyone you come in contact with if they know a place, and not every landlord likes to post online because of the flood of craziness that involves.
Good to know, Thanks. Looking at AB Camping RV Park or Cheyenne RV Resort for now.