Foxpro for backcountry

FishTacos

FNG
Where I hunt for bear it is extremely thick country. I typically carry a spotting scope but there won't be a lot of use for it's weight. It's also legal to use electronic calls for bear here (WA state) so switching the weight to the foxpro is the plan.

Which model Foxpro do you guys go with for the backcountry? Going for the weight/reach of sound//battery life trade off her unless there are other considerations you have in mind or experience with.

I'm also hearing that the Foxpro doesnt have a continuous loop distress call and puts a decent gap in between calling sounds in each sequence. Do any of you have ideas on how to solve that? Bears lose interest so fast that the ecaller has a bit of a disadvantage on that front, it would be best if there was a calling sequence or different brand that just hammers on the calf/fawn in distress for 25-35 minutes. Open to other brands that are a better fit in terms of weight and calling sequences for bear as well but in my experience the foxpro's work really well aside from the lack of an optimal bear calling sequence.

I use a JBL Bluetooth speaker and a game call app on my phone. One of the cylindrically shaped ones. Way cheaper than a professional game call and easy to use, and no special batteries. The downsides are that you can’t be too far from it or it won’t work and you can’t replace batteries in the field.

OP
F

FishTacos

FNG
I use a JBL Bluetooth speaker and a game call app on my phone. One of the cylindrically shaped ones. Way cheaper than a professional game call and easy to use, and no special batteries. The downsides are that you can’t be too far from it or it won’t work and you can’t replace batteries in the field.
This is a good quick fix idea, i think lighter definitely cheaper and I can get what ever sound files I want.
Appreciate the response thank you.

I have seen guys mention using distress calls to call in bears, but have never done it. For those that do, how successful have you been?

musty

FNG
I've got the foxpro inferno. It's a pretty sweet unit, not too big and it can crank up pretty loud. It plays continuous loops for all the distress sounds. The longest "gap" in sounds are like 2-3 seconds. You can also download the foxpro program on a computer and add or change what sounds you want.
If I were packing in I would leave the foxpro at home and bring a hand call. You can get pretty creative with a hand call and they weigh nothing.

The longest "gap" in sounds are like 2-3 seconds.
I have a Foxpro Hijack and can confirm this is the case. Very short gaps. I've packed mine in before, but have yet to get lucky calling in a bear (or lion). Gonna keep on trying though.