Free Standing vs. Non Free Standing Tent

Seems to be a good bit of fanfare around the free standing capability of a tent in sheep country. I get that due to rocky terrain it is one less obstacle that must be overcome, but when I see who is buying and using many non free standing tents, it is often sheep hunters. Sheep outfitters/guides are using them too. Granted, not every hunt is going to be at the same elevation, nor within a hunt are you in the same place every night as you make your way up into, through, and down out of, sheep country. My only sheep hunt I did use a Kuiu Mountain Star which is free standing, and we were in some rocky terrain, but there was enough dirt to get the spikes in.

So for the real sheep hunters on RS, how important is free standing to you?

Since I just sold my Storm Star, I am looking for a tent for sheep hunt next summer, and looking at one of the Hillebergs. They recommended the Rogen or the Niak for me and my wife, but after watching reviews and looking at specs, I don't like either of them. I do like the double vestibule so we can get in and out without crawling over each other, but the vestibules on the Rogen seem small. Right now I am leaning towards the Anjan 3GT

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Clarktar

WKR
Well, my wife refuses to come into contact with me and regulates her proximity to me diligently. So I opt for small tents to force her closer. And single vestibule is the perfect excuse for me to crawl on, I mean over, her.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Following.

I have used an OG kuiu mountain star for my dall sheep hunt ( I’ve used it for years) and it did great- until several days of constant rain had it leaking at the seams. Nothing a couple dirty socks couldn’t plug up but a little annoying. In its defense, I’ve had it since it came out, had been on many trips, and I never re-waterproofed the seams.

I saw the Hillie Soulo at Barney’s and DSC last year and Really liked it. Double vestibule, great design. Still curious on the other non-freestanding.

Will be following

If you are sharing a tent with your hunting partner the Anjan 3 GT is unreal in my opinion. I use the Anjan 2 as my solo tent. I believe tunnel tents have the best cubic foot to weight ratio. Everyone has their own personal preferences based on their experiences. I love the tunnel tents and have never found them to be a hindrance compared to a free standing tent. For context I have used a handful of different tents on 6 14 day Stone sheep hunts northern BC as well as many back country mule deer trips.

cbarg14

FNG
Regardless what tent you go with in the Hilleberg line, these tents are bomb proof. I have owned and used the Allak (green) for 20 years on two person hunts and the Soulo (red) for 10 years on solo hunts. They are a bit on the heavy side but provide excellent shelter in snowy/extreme cold conditions.
50c386bdaa8e8c1cc0da236a1cf7003d.jpg
6ccaedb4baa440585626bf871d2c0532.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I run ridges and like to be up high. I much prefer a free standing tent like the Soulo. A lot of my shelter spots are on animal beds slope side. I move it quite a bit to get it just right for sleep.

If I glassed from the bottom valleys I don’t think I’d much care honestly.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Regardless what tent you go with in the Hilleberg line, these tents are bomb proof. I have owned and used the Allak (green) for 20 years on two person hunts and the Soulo (red) for 10 years on solo hunts. They are a bit on the heavy side but provide excellent shelter in snowy/extreme cold conditions.
50c386bdaa8e8c1cc0da236a1cf7003d.jpg
6ccaedb4baa440585626bf871d2c0532.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
The allak is an incredibly sturdy tent. I’ve had mine in some big storms and it just shook it off.

I’ll get a soulo or a lighter 2 person hilleberg at some point though.

Decker9

WKR
Iv always been a freestanding tent person. I wanted a hilleberg but never had one in my hands before. A few years ago I picked up a Nallo2 on a good deal, and quickly learnt the non free standing would be a real pain for my use in the mountains.

Another negative for me was with a couple dogs and kiddo around camp, they were always running into the guide lines, something to think about maybe.

Build quality felt unreal compared to any other tent Iv used.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
My 14 year old son and I spent 7 days in a Rogen in Kyrgyzstan. It was tight, but the small footprint made finding a spot to set up easier. The vestibules were smaller but functional. Everything stayed dry and condensation wasn't an issue. I'm 6' 180 lbs my son is 5'10 135 lbs

The Rogen and Niak in their natural element. I use them both as 1 man tents, one for my hunter, one for myself. They are great tents. This was my first season with the Rogen and will be my go to tent from now on.

wNbiPNq.jpg

I only use non-freestanding shelters anymore for all my mountain hunts. I prefer not to carry a lot of wt. when packing in, and there isn't a freestanding tent that even comes close to being as light wt. as a DCF Mid, or something similar. Even for two people, I would never even consider carrying a spike camp tent that weighs upwards of 5 lbs. or more.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the Anjan 3 GT last season and while I did like the big vestibule for all of our stuff, we got tired of the entrance style. Always crawling over one another to get in and out it seemed like. So I sold my Anjan and Niak to buy a Rogen and it’s been a better option for us. We each get our own vestibule but more importantly entrance. The vestibules together aren’t as big as the GT’s one.. but we can keep each side organized as we like. Just been better for us.

As for the comment on sheep hunters using floorless.. I think in the lower 48 it’s more applicable than the north country from what I have experienced. One spot we had to pitch our tents last year there were zero good options for stake points.. as it was I was tying guy lines to what loose rocks I could find and the next morning all 4 of our tents would have taken flight without us in them. I was glad I brought a freestanding tent which was a Niak at the time.

carter33

WKR
Anyone have a lot of experience or negative impressions with the slingfin portal (stone glacier skyscraper)?

I have a Niak which is ok for a few nights with two guys but next season I am taking my dad out for 10 nights sheep hunting and I think two doors and vestibules would make a worthwhile difference in comfort. The portal saves a pound and some change over the Rogen which seems to be the comparable hilleberg. I took a larger slingfin down to unimak this last May and though we didn’t get the worst winds that island can bring it held up great and inspired confidence in the quality of the brand.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be bringing a Niak with me; if I was doubling up with another person (except my wife! :D) I'd get a shelter with dual entries, dual vestibules and a little more floor space- for one person, nearly perfect imo.

Two sheep hunts so far. One using a Nallo 2 GT, and one using a LBO with vestibule. Neither are freestanding but both worked well for me. If I go on another though I plan to have a mountainstar next time for simplicity of site selection. The Nallo was bombproof as everyone says and I don’t know if my LBO would have held up to the winds I encountered for a 10 ish hour period in the Nallo. During both trips I was the only one sleeping in them. If I was getting the Nallo for two people I would get the GT3.

Two sheep hunts so far. One using a Nallo 2 GT, and one using a LBO with vestibule. Neither are freestanding but both worked well for me. If I go on another though I plan to have a mountainstar next time for simplicity of site selection. The Nallo was bombproof as everyone says and I don’t know if my LBO would have held up to the winds I encountered for a 10 ish hour period in the Nallo. During both trips I was the only one sleeping in them. If I was getting the Nallo for two people I would get the GT3.

You might be surprised at how well those LBO’s deal with wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea it did fine in some wind, but I’ve never experienced a wind storm like I did in the AK range that year. Got a little worried at one point.

1670009276581.jpeg

Anyone have a lot of experience or negative impressions with the slingfin portal (stone glacier skyscraper)?

I have a Niak which is ok for a few nights with two guys but next season I am taking my dad out for 10 nights sheep hunting and I think two doors and vestibules would make a worthwhile difference in comfort. The portal saves a pound and some change over the Rogen which seems to be the comparable hilleberg. I took a larger slingfin down to unimak this last May and though we didn’t get the worst winds that island can bring it held up great and inspired confidence in the quality of the brand.

I just received my SlingFin Portal a little over a month ago.(after my hunts of course) I haven’t had the opportunity to use it yet. But after setting it up in the yard I am impressed with the quality. It reminds me a lot of the original MSR Hubba Hubba tent but with the ability to strengthen the tent with the internal guy lines and the ability to incorporate your trekking poles to the structure. This is a three season tent but it comes really close to a four season tent. I feel comfortable using it year round.
The SlingFin Crossbow 2 (the Stone Glacier Skyscraper) is the four season version. It is heavier but offers more protection. Judging by the Portal I wouldn’t hesitate in purchasing the Crossbow if I was looking for a bombproof four season tent.

carter33

WKR
I just received my SlingFin Portal a little over a month ago.(after my hunts of course) I haven’t had the opportunity to use it yet. But after setting it up in the yard I am impressed with the quality. It reminds me a lot of the original MSR Hubba Hubba tent but with the ability to strengthen the tent with the internal guy lines and the ability to incorporate your trekking poles to the structure. This is a three season tent but it comes really close to a four season tent. I feel comfortable using it year round.
The SlingFin Crossbow 2 (the Stone Glacier Skyscraper) is the four season version. It is heavier but offers more protection. Judging by the Portal I wouldn’t hesitate in purchasing the Crossbow if I was looking for a bombproof four season tent.
Thanks for the clarification and input, I knew they made the SG tent but must have switched them up. I will have to compare them all again, my sheep hunt is early season so mostly concerned about wind and not as much with snow load.

I will also probably give SlingFin a call and get their recommendation, I have had good experiences with their customer service in the past.