Fresh batch of Venison Bacon

gunsmith89

Lil-Rokslider
Decided to give this a try this year after sampling some others. Very simple 17lbs of venison 1 pork but and the seasonings from PS Seasoning. Next go around I will add some more maple flavor or jalapeno. Either way this batch turned out excellent!

Attachments

• bacon1.jpg
    bacon1.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 169
  • bacon.jpg
    bacon.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 170

PNWGATOR

WKR
Had the opportunity to try bacon made in this fashion last year. One of the best ‘new’ things with wild game I’ve tried in years. Delish!

Afhunter1

WKR
Love deer bacon! Always clean out last of old deer steak and burger at beginning of season and make bacon. Lots of times I just eat it without frying but frying def adds another layer to the flavor.

z987k

WKR
That seems like it'd be lean? Maybe that's what you're going for? Does it want to come apart at all and crumble or is it pretty solid? I was thinking about getting the transglutaminase out for this purpose.

I made some smoked polish style moose sausage this year and used pork butt in a 70/30 ratio to and, while good, I feel it's a little lean compared to some of the amazing all pork stuff I've had before.

I'm hoping for a spring black bear and bacon is high on my list there and I was thinking at least 50/50 pure pork fat if I don't like what the rendered bear fat tastes like.

peterk123

WKR
Decided to give this a try this year after sampling some others. Very simple 17lbs of venison 1 pork but and the seasonings from PS Seasoning. Next go around I will add some more maple flavor or jalapeno. Either way this batch turned out excellent!
Could you share your recipe? Thx Pete

Found this on the PS seasoning site.

VENSION BACON

(For 12-1/2# Batches Divide Following By 1/2)

You will need:

Seasoning & 1 Cure Package
18# of Venison Trims & 7# of Pork Trims (50% Lean)
1-1/2 Cups of Distilled Water
5 tsp. Liquid Smoke (Optional)
*When using your oven, liquid smoke may be added for a smoke flavor.

Suggested Procedure: Grind twice through 3/16" plate. Mix in seasoning. Add cure to water, mix 4-6 minutes or until meat is tacky. Place in 9 x 11 pan sprayed with non-stick spray (like Pam), lined with a sheet of wax paper in the bottom. Press and pack meat in pan good and firm. Chill overnight or place in freezer for 3 hours. Turn pan upside down and drop meat on oven rack. Cover bottom of oven with foil to catch grease drippings. Turn oven temperature to 200 degrees F and cook until an internal temperature of 142 degrees F is reached. When done, place in cooler and chill overnight. Slice like regular bacon. Package the way you like.

Any specific feedback on the flavor of the PS seasoning? Did it taste like bacon, or just another good breakfast meat flavor?

Reason I ask is because I made some venison bacon last year using Walton’s seasoning. We enjoyed it, but the flavor was more like Spam (which I do like fried) and I am looking for something that is more of a true bacon flavor. Still searching for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Not in the way of bacon but all of my venison hamburg is cut with bacon. I used to use 5% pork fat in my venison burger but have since switched to bacon as my fat additive. I find that I have to use a 15% - 20% bacon to venison ratio to get it so that it doesn't crumble or stick to the grill/pan. Best burgers ever!

Not in the way of bacon but all of my venison hamburg is cut with bacon. I used to use 5% pork fat in my venison burger but have since switched to bacon as my fat additive. I find that I have to use a 15% - 20% bacon to venison ratio to get it so that it doesn't crumble or stick to the grill/pan. Best burgers ever!
So do you just grind up bacon and add it like you would pork or beef fat?

elkguide

WKR
Yes. The bacon is ground just like any fat. Because I use good bacon, there is meat there too, thus I find the need for a 15% bacon ratio. You have to judge it based on the bacon that you use in order to have enough fat to keep your burger together and to help it not stick to the grill/pan. ENJOY!