Frontal or Quartering to Shots on Elk

What do you think about a frontal or quartering to shot on a bull with a muzzy? Does anyone here have any first hand experience with it?

rayporter

WKR
i have dropped 2 elk with a rifle frontal and numerous deer with a muzzy frontal as well as numerous deer with a shotgun slug frontal. always kills quick.

I really do not have a problem with either shot although of the two I do prefer a quartering away shot.

One thing that could make a big difference is the mood the animal is in. If he is all hyped up from fighting with or in the mood for a fight either shot would still do the job but it might take a little longer for him to realize he has even been shot!

Hunthigh1

WKR
Can some folks with muzzy experience go deeper into this subject? when shooting a muzzy are you trying to avoid the front shoulder? I am shooting a 420 grain no excuses bullet with 90G T7. I plan to only take a frontal shot , broadside. or quartering away.

Does any one have success breaking shoulder bones with muzzy bullets or is that a big no-no?

wyosam

WKR
I shoot 300 grain copper solids, and have no fear of shoulder bones. In the couple of instances where that was the shot that was offered, they have gone down hard, and stayed there. Large exits both times. I don’t shoot further than 150, so they are still smoking along pretty good. Believe the longer of those two was 120ish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
As for archery...

Don't do it, Its a trap. Don't let the video of that kid shooting that bull frontal convince you otherwise.

There is a heck of a lot of armor to bust through for a frontal shot. They look relatively square in the chest when they are face on, but the rib cage is a wedge that is ready to deflect arrows on either side. If you cant penetrate the rib cage you ain't killing that bull unless you just happen to sever an artery.

I took a hard quartering to, almost frontal shot last year on a nice bull. Watched the arrow sink up to the wrap, which means 24 inches of penetration. The bull took off and ran down into a draw and 400 yards up a hill on the other side. Long story short, i never found him. I have no explanation and if you saw what i saw when i shot him you would guarantee me that he was dead too.

Again, don't do it, its a trap. But that's just my opinion.

bsnedeker

WKR
As for archery...

Don't do it, Its a trap. Don't let the video of that kid shooting that bull frontal convince you otherwise.

There is a heck of a lot of armor to bust through for a frontal shot. They look relatively square in the chest when they are face on, but the rib cage is a wedge that is ready to deflect arrows on either side. If you cant penetrate the rib cage you ain't killing that bull unless you just happen to sever an artery.

I took a hard quartering to, almost frontal shot last year on a nice bull. Watched the arrow sink up to the wrap, which means 24 inches of penetration. The bull took off and ran down into a draw and 400 yards up a hill on the other side. Long story short, i never found him. I have no explanation and if you saw what i saw when i shot him you would guarantee me that he was dead too.

Again, don't do it, its a trap. But that's just my opinion.

Frontal shots and quartering-to shots are very different in my opinion. On a true frontal shot 20 yards and in I think that is a killer shot as long as you understand elk anatomy enough to know where to aim.

Smtn10pt

FNG
I shot a bull in bow range that was quartering too with a 300 GR thor. I was shooting a scoped inline off a rest, when the gun went off I thought I had him. Never found more than a drop of blood. I don't think the bullet made it through the near side. To follow up I shot a 200 pound black bear with the same gun and load at about 20 yards and did not get a complete pass through. The bullet was lodged in the off side shoulder. If I hunt elk again it will be with a different bullet.

Shot my bull frontal/ slight quartering to in left shoulder. 50 yards.

320 grain Fury .50 cal universal fit bullet.

95 grains by weight BH209 powder.

The bullet shattered the shoulder bone. The jacket was imbedded in the shoulder muscle and the core penetrated through the left lung.

Shot was fatal but not immediately.

cf5f8410c1763c9cfb0a4b37b1394fd1.jpg

e467d9079265152ff5ee1052e02acf69.jpg

Overall the shoulder shot was fatal at that range, but it would have been better to have been full frontal or more quartering away.

You may not be able to tell from the picture, but the jacket and base of the bullet is as flat as the quarter.

Also, the intact bullet was 320 grains. The recovered bullet was 145 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IdahoHntr

WKR
Definitely depends on the bullet for me. A powerbelt or soft all lead bullet, I would pass on anything that forced me to go through the shoulder. Shooting a Barnes copper bullet or something of the like, I wouldn't hesitate to put one through the shoulder inside reasonable distances.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a bull with a frontal shot from a muzzleloader a couple years ago. 75 yards with a hornady sst and he swayed a little and went down and stayed down. I did gutless so not certain on the penetration but it must have at least reached the lungs because the blood was sure sloshing while dressing him. I’ve also lost a bull shot with a power belt in the shoulder at 150 yards.

Agdog

FNG
Shot my bull frontal/ slight quartering to in left shoulder. 50 yards.

320 grain Fury .50 cal universal fit bullet.

95 grains by weight BH209 powder.

The bullet shattered the shoulder bone. The jacket was imbedded in the shoulder muscle and the core penetrated through the left lung.

Shot was fatal but not immediately.

cf5f8410c1763c9cfb0a4b37b1394fd1.jpg

e467d9079265152ff5ee1052e02acf69.jpg

Overall the shoulder shot was fatal at that range, but it would have been better to have been full frontal or more quartering away.

You may not be able to tell from the picture, but the jacket and base of the bullet is as flat as the quarter.

Also, the intact bullet was 320 grains. The recovered bullet was 145 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m shooting the Fury’s as well. Just left the range and will be switching from White Hots to BH 209 immediately. Do you still like that load? What rifle are you shooting it through?

I’m shooting the Fury’s as well. Just left the range and will be switching from White Hots to BH 209 immediately. Do you still like that load? What rifle are you shooting it through?

Yes, the load is excellent. They say you can increase the charge up to 105 grains by weight, but Luke at Arrowhead said 98 was the 'sweet spot' for a my rifle, so that is what I went with. I am shooting a Remington 700 Ultimate muzzleloader.

If I ever try to stretch it out beyond 200 yards w/ a scope, I may tinker with the powder charge.