Full moon 10/28 + Jupiter and two moons

Bluefish

WKR
A month or so ago you could see 5 moons around Jupiter with a spotting scope. Quite a surprise that was all it takes to see them.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
A month or so ago you could see 5 moons around Jupiter with a spotting scope. Quite a surprise that was all it takes to see them.
Awesome. I find it humbling to see these sights. I’m sure with a spotter and tripod you could see more tonight. Good stuff!

Swamp Fox

WKR
This is the Hunter's Moon for this year, which I was prepared for to be spectacular and was looking forward to, and I was just about to look up what what else I was seeing!

Thanks for identifying Jupiter. :love:

The Hunter's Moon is the first full moon after the Harvest Moon, which is the full moon closest to the fall equinox, so the timing of both moons varies.

@Bluefish and @ODB

Old post, but I'm curious where you guys get this information from? Is there a website or something that tells you when "cool" stuff like this is going to be visible?

Recently got a telescope, so I'd like to know when to look for stuff like that.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
@Bluefish and @ODB

Old post, but I'm curious where you guys get this information from? Is there a website or something that tells you when "cool" stuff like this is going to be visible?

To be honest, I just “noticed” something different and used the SkyView app to confirm what I was looking at. SkyView is amazing and is great especially in very dark areas.

Like a lot of older dudes I often just step outside and stare into the sky for no good reason. Turns out there’s a lot to see.

Bluefish

WKR
@Bluefish and @ODB

Was just lucky. Sitting by the fire and saw a bright star and figured it was a planet. Looked up where Jupiter would be for that date and verified that’s what I was seeing.