FWIW- Warne Maxima Rings Customer Service Exchange

"Good morning, I own a couple sets of Warne Maxima 30mm rings. I've been warned by several folks now that they are known for pinching and damaging scope tubes. I'm running SWFA scopes on two rifles, and how do I avoid issues with damaging the tubes with these rings?"

"We suggest you follow the scope manufactures torque recommendations. Scope tubes are getting lighter and lighter and the aluminum used in scopes is getting thinner and thinner to keep that weight down. What was okay for torque specs some time ago as since been lightened to less torque. Back in the day 25 inch pound's was the standard. Now I have seen some scope tubes wanting 15 inch pounds max."

"The issue I've heard is that the bottom ring mounts apply clamping pressure to the base as well as the tube, and thus the pinching risk. Is there a process to follow to ensure there is equal clamping pressure? Does a guy need to snug up the top ring screws first or something like that?

"The bottom of the rings come to a close on the base. Unless you are dealing with some super soft alloy or plastic, I don't see that being the issue.

We always start at the bottom and work our way up. The most important thing is to follow scope manufactures suggestion on torque. I can tell you I have mounted many of scopes in our rings with no issues. From customer rifles to my personal. I am sure to follow the scope manufactures suggestion on torque. Anybody who exceeds the scope manufactures torque is going to have issues with crushing or pinching. A tube that calls out 18 inch pounds max, is surely going to deflect at 30 inch pounds.

Also I do not advise locktite on ring screws. This causes a wet thread and will give you an inaccurate torque reading. I have seen more scope tube damage done by people using thread locker on ring screws then anything."

YMMV

EDIT: Ring torque confirmation from SWFA:

The ring caps should be torqued to 19 inch pounds.

Michael Effertz
Purchasing
O: (469) 672-8117
F: (972) 617-1647
E: [email protected]