G5 Mag Loc quiver failure... it's only held on with GLUE?!

zpearo

FNG
I was out hunting a couple weeks ago for archery elk and decided to do a spike camp after finding some elk deep in the day before. So I woke up at 4am packed up all my gear, strapped my bow onto my pack, and hiked several miles in. Then went to unload my pack and noticed that my quiver was no longer on my bow. Since it had been strapped on the back of my pack, I hadn't seen it fall off.

Originally, I thought I must have somehow bumped the locking arm open and the quiver had come out of the receiver mount. But then when I looked a bit closer I realized the magnet was still inside the receiver, and this is the only thing that the locking arm actually holds in place. And also that the quiver had only been attached to the magnet with some glue, which had failed, and that is why my quiver had fallen off. See photos below.

I hadn't been busting through trees or anything rough on the hike in, so I can't figure out why the glue failed expect if it was poorly bonded or failed over time. But I can't imagine why the design only had the quiver held in with glue, rather than also using some type of bolt or other mechanical fixture.

In any case, I turned back and hiked back down the drainage along the cliffs how I had walked in, and looked for the quiver with my headlamp but didn't find it. I grabbed a few more arrows from my base camp, but now just had to just carry one arrow on my bow and stick the others in the side pocket of my pack, with a cover over the broadheads so they wouldn't cut me if they came out of my pack. Now the sun was up, and I hiked that same route up and down and up again. I spent a total of 4 extra trips and about 6 hours looking for that quiver and never found it.

I've called G5 and am waiting for a call back to discuss, but haven't received that yet. Now I'm out a quiver, 6 new Carbon Express Maxima shafts, 5 Montec broadheads (3 brand new, 2 used on one other hunt), and a brand new SEVR expandable. After this experience, I don't know if I'll be buying any other G5 products. I can't believe any company would make a quiver that is only attached to your bow with a dab of glue.

Attachments

• PXL_20230918_180145328.jpg
    PXL_20230918_180145328.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230918_175529192.jpg
    PXL_20230918_175529192.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230918_180128316.jpg
    PXL_20230918_180128316.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 12

Geewhiz

WKR
Ha I had the same quiver and had the exact same thing happen. What a trashy setup. Plus, the male part of the attachment mechanism is cheap plastic so even if the glue didnt fail, the quiver wiggles alot when attached and its just a matter of time until the plastic broke anyway.

I have a tight spot now. Quivilizers are also a sweet option and are built like a tank.

OP
Z

zpearo

FNG
Ha I had the same quiver and had the exact same thing happen. What a trashy setup. Plus, the male part of the attachment mechanism is cheap plastic so even if the glue didnt fail, the quiver wiggles alot when attached and its just a matter of time until the plastic broke anyway.

I have a tight spot now. Quivilizers are also a sweet option and are built like a tank.
Did you reach out to G5 at all? I'm hoping they'll make it right as I lost about $200 of new arrows and broadheads in addition to the lost quiver. Really a wildly bad design.

Geewhiz

WKR
Did you reach out to G5 at all? I'm hoping they'll make it right as I lost about $200 of new arrows and broadheads in addition to the lost quiver. Really a wildly bad design.
I didnt even try. I noticed right away and found my arrows. I just trashed it and moved on. But I would be fairly annoyed if I had lost a bunch of money worth of arrows and heads.