Gaiters or similar solution for minimalist footwear

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wearing minimalist or “barefoot” style footwear for about 7 years now but have yet to settle on a decent gaiter, or some other strategy that pairs well with the style.

I wear low top shoes basically all year (sometimes belleville mini mil boots). Unless there’s snow, then i break out the high top waterproofs. However, the zero drop doesn't facilitate the strap that goes under the sole of the shoe. A few years ago, the strap on compacted ground gave me some foot pains, and since then I’ve shied away from them.

I still use gaiters mainly for snow when the strap is less noticeable but I would like an option for my low tops when heavy/thorny brush is to be expected.

For those of you who use minimalist style footwear off trail, what do you use for a gaiter or what strategy do you implement to get around using one?

The only ones I’ve seen specifically for this type of footwear aren’t very durable and are more meant just to keep debris out of your shoes. Very little in the way of leg protection.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
I wear ankle height hiking shoes.

Started with Kahtoola INSTAgaiter Mid Gaiters.

They served me well but it is easy to unzip them all the way even if you don't want to. This is a PITA for me because I just leave mine on those shoes. The RENA are taller that INSTA so the zipper stays zipped when I take my shoes off but leave the gaiters on the shoes.

The material is light and thin on Kahtoola gaiters. The heavier fabric on the RENA set is still light and feels the same as the INSTA set.

I ordered their KahToola RENAgaiter Mid Gaiters about 3 months later. From the marketing I was thinking that they were thicker that the INSTA gaiters. I wanted a thicker set of gaiters because I was headed to WY and I was concerned about cactus.

If you want to try these, just go straight for the RENA style.

OP
PBBananaHammock

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
I wear ankle height hiking shoes.

Started with Kahtoola INSTAgaiter Mid Gaiters.

They served me well but it is easy to unzip them all the way even if you don't want to. This is a PITA for me because I just leave mine on those shoes. The RENA are taller that INSTA so the zipper stays zipped when I take my shoes off but leave the gaiters on the shoes.

The material is light and thin on Kahtoola gaiters. The heavier fabric on the RENA set is still light and feels the same as the INSTA set.

I ordered their KahToola RENAgaiter Mid Gaiters about 3 months later. From the marketing I was thinking that they were thicker that the INSTA gaiters. I wanted a thicker set of gaiters because I was headed to WY and I was concerned about cactus.

If you want to try these, just go straight for the RENA style.
I’m adding them to the list, thank you.

How’s the fabric durability on the RENAgaiter with thorny brush?

The more of these I’m seeing with the thinner cordage for the under loop, the more I’m considering getting a 3/8 to 1/2in grommet punch and fabricating holes in any type of gaiter…

Last edited:

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
The fabric is durable. These RENA's have about 60 miles on them.

Around here we have grass and sand burs and little twigs.

I took them to eastern Wyoming too and didn't have any trouble.

Here's a pic of the INSTA's too, you can see they cut the good fabric short and switch to a lighter fabric and they are way shorter in total length.

My priorities for these are to 1) keep twigs and seeds out of my shoes and 2) keep my shoelaces tied.

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 11

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
I've started wearing the gaiters "backwards" with the left on the right and the right on the left and I like it better.

It annoyed me that the zipper is on the outside of your feet and you have to twist your knee to get to the zipper. It works better the wrong way...makes me wonder how much thought the manufacturer put into it.

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
.25 inch hole in undersole, attach gaiters with paracord.( I've sewn my own for years and I do stuff weird.) no clumpy mud hitchhikers no imprint. Boot makers should have a standard gaiter connection on the soles side. perhaps pic rail. JK.