Gaiters

peterk123

WKR
Anybody sew up their own gaiters? Looking for ideas on materials. Wondering if I should go with the heavier waterproof nylons in the 10 oz range for durability and to add some rigidity.

Thx

Pete

WoodBow

WKR
I made a pair out of 1000d coated cordura. No complaints but I eventually bought some kuiu ones and love them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I sewed some up just recently. I made them out of some pack cloth I had laying around. I just made them as a prototype. The next ones I'm going to make out of some goretex material I have. If you're still looking at making these, I can pm a drawing or picture of what I have.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Was just about to buy some material for this too - I was thinking the 1000d cordura too.
What did you guys use for the boot strap?

I just use some polyester webbing I had laying around. I used a ladder locks on one for adjustment and stitched the other one in a fixed position. Made those as a prototype.

Next pair I think I'll just use paracord.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting on the paracord. If I use a D-ring on both sides it would even be field replaceable by tying a new length on.

I've used p-cord on some low gaiters, it definitely wears through faster than you might like. Not so fast that you couldn't just replace it at home between trips, but you'll want a metal grommet or d-ring to tie new ones on regardless.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
I just use some polyester webbing I had laying around. I used a ladder locks on one for adjustment and stitched the other one in a fixed position. Made those as a prototype.

Next pair I think I'll just use paracord.

I was wondering if Dyneema would work well for the abrasion.

I was wondering if Dyneema would work well for the abrasion.
It looks like stone glacier is using a dynema style strap in their new gaitors. It would work but tying it would be tricky as it is slippery (1 side could be girth hitched). I thought about using it as well for that very reason. I have a lot of it laying around.

Here is Stone glaciers gaiters from their catalog I recently got in the mail. Looks like place the Amsteel/dynema in tubular webbing and sew it in.
bcdda0a83513bf5eb86deb37dd4e5e6f.jpg

Issue 1: In the first snow I wore them, the snow clung to the dynema and kept snowballing up under the foot. I had to wrap them in electrical tape to fight this.

Issue 2: Walking in the grass post rain. My pants were getting wet. Took the gaiters home, ran them under the sink- water comes through the two piece construction of the lower and calf portion. The water follows the threads through. Shoe goo is the only fix.

Man that sucks with the gaiters. I would call or email SG. I'd guess they would replace them. Pretty sure they're made overseas now. Cost of doing business in Asia things get overlooked like seam sealing.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I like their products. IMO they make the best packs in the business. Their gaiters are not good.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

I don’t think I’ll trust two part construction again. Badlands actually has a courera type outer on the lower, but maintains one piece on the inner. It’s not a waterproof membrane though. If they did that it’d be a winner. I think kuiu is where I’m headed next.