Galaxy Ember?

Hey all, in the market for a solid takedown recurve/longbow and was recommended the galaxy ember, looked into the Sammick sage as well, just looking for any reviews or tips on these or some other viable options for someone getting into trad hunting, anything helps!

Beendare

WKR
Lots of Sage shooters….

Black Wolf seems to be a good choice now.

You could buy and ILF riser - many like the Junxing F261- and then buy a cheap set of 30# or so ilf limbs to start.

The name brand ilf limbs are all pretty good even at the under $100 price point.

Are you just starting?
What is your draw length?

OP
ScentSlammer406
Lots of Sage shooters….

Black Wolf seems to be a good choice now.

You could buy and ILF riser - many like the Junxing F261- and then buy a cheap set of 30# or so ilf limbs to start.

The name brand ilf limbs are all pretty good even at the under $100 price point.

Are you just starting?
What is your draw length?
Just getting started, shot a compound off and on last year for a while, coworker is a trad hunter and that caught my attention so I’m wanting to get set up early for next season, draw length 29.5

3Esski

FNG
I'd get a black hunter off amazon for under 100.and see if you enjoy it. There are limbs readily available to increase draw weight so you don't overbow yourself right from the start, plus it's nice later to have some lighter weight limbs for rabbit hunting and such.

Ddog

WKR
Can't beat the Black Hunter for the price. I've owned several of the "top" customs and none shot much better if at all. I always put a FF string on the ones I bought for beginners or myself and it makes for a much nicer shooter. The people that stuck with it use them as their primary bow. If you order one off Amazon, make sure it has bamboo limb cores, I've heard bad stuff about other core materials. Also, the name of the distributor seems to matter as well. All mine were Obert and I was very satisfied. IMO a much nicer looking and fitting bow than the Sage types. "stilldub" on eBay makes a great string for a great price, that's what I use for everything I make or buy.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
The ember longbow is great regardless of price. The only complaint I've heard on them is that the marked weight may be off from some dealers. Pay a touch more from a reputable dealer like twig archery to be sure. Good luck!

bisblue

WKR
I'd get a black hunter off amazon for under 100.and see if you enjoy it. There are limbs readily available to increase draw weight so you don't overbow yourself right from the start, plus it's nice later to have some lighter weight limbs for rabbit hunting and such.
Don't buy a black hunter at a 29.5 draw, terrible stacking. Ask me how I know. It was given to me as a new shooter and it really screwed up my form for quite a while.
Ilf is a great new shooter option.

Is the black hunter riser the same as some of the newer sages?

I can not stand the new sage grip. Had an older one and sold it, then found this one, terrible.

Beendare

WKR
Lots of resources for new shooters.
Go cheap…go light 30# +/- and go long……easier to dial in good form. You can recover 80% of the cost of your starter bow on AT classifieds.

These bows are much harder to develop consistent form over a compound…and they are much more fun to shoot. Key is dialing in alignment and form. a coach or mentor is invaluable.

Ddog

WKR
Is the black hunter riser the same as some of the newer sages?

I can not stand the new sage grip. Had an older one and sold it, then found this one, terrible.
Black Hunter and Sage are 2 completely different bows/riser styles and grips. I find the more medium-style grip on the BH to be much more naturally pointable.

Hey all, in the market for a solid takedown recurve/longbow and was recommended the galaxy ember, looked into the Sammick sage as well, just looking for any reviews or tips on these or some other viable options for someone getting into trad hunting, anything helps!
I have a galaxy ember for sale. LH, 40 and 55 lb limbs if you want it!