Game Biologists

MNGrouser

FNG
A reply on another thread got me wondering and I didn't want to hijack that thread. How much success have people had contacting game biologists or conservation officers for other states? I ask because my experience hasn't been great. I've tried multiple biologists and conservation officers in Alaska, Montana and Wyoming. I got 1 call back from a CO in Wyoming but that's it. Multiple voicemail messages left. Multiple e-mails sent. I feel like reaching out to those professionals is frequently suggested for FNGs. Have others have better outcomes?

S.Clancy

WKR
I've had very good outcomes. I'm asking specific questions, not the equivalent of the "I don't want your honey hole, but...." question that get asked on here.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I too have had mostly good success BUT as noted by @S.Clancy, you need to carry in some knowledge to the conversation - similar to other thread about FNG's. Do some research, dig around for the basics and start in with some legwork and thoughts.

I will add, one must also remember:
  • Depending on the time of year, these folks are very busy out in the field and cannot call you back immediately; or even within a week. I've gotten some calls back after a few weeks - but it also gave me time to dig up some more info and discussion points. [I have also just called the front to desk to make sure a bio was still employed in a region and to confirm they were in the field etc].
  • These guys get a good number of calls from folks and most of the time, give the same answers out to everyone; take them at face value. Often, the answers that are vague or non-specific are the best intel.

Colorado great.

Wyoming terrible. - But - good info when I eventually get through to them. Gotta call call call call call. Don’t think they’ll return a vmail, just keeping calling to catch ‘em in the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
Here in Georgia, the DNR Hotline if a joke. I found a nice in the woods just inside my property. The buck had been shot a short time before I found it. I called the GA DNR Hotline to report it and was told that the GA DNR was not responsible for DEAD deer,
Next time I called it was about trespassers hunting on my land. They sent out an DNR officer. He told me there was nothing that he would do since he did not see them on my property and then he asked me if I would consider giving the trespassers permission to hunt on my land so there would not any further problems.
I just said NO and walked off.

hunterjmj

WKR
Years ago when I lived in Ak I set up an appointment with a biologist from ANWR. I had my maps with me and questions ready. I was in his office for probably 45 minutes. I heard stories, looked at photos and he went over my maps with me. I already had spots picked out he just shared some knowledge he'd gained over the years working in the field. That is the only time I've really spoken to a biologist and it definitely worth making the appointment.

I've had good success with it in oregon. Sometimes you don't get someone that knows as much as others but they have always returned my voicemail and are helpful

They spend a lot of time in the spring/summer on counts and helping other biologists. Buddy of mine is interim region 4 biologist in mt randomly gets service to call but lives in a tent. He swings in to the house a bit, I don’t think most people could get ahold of him if they had his personal let alone an office number.

If in Washington State, try to reach out to the "District Bio's". Not just any "biologist", that is a VERY loose term in this state. District Bios are the ones who do most of the work us wildlife simpletons (Hunters, just a joke) think of when we think of a real bio in the field. I am currently working for someone who is a "Bio" that manages a large wildlife area. They do not hunt, have admitted to never seeing a bear in this state (we have a massive population, so how could you not with any time spent in the field) and is often misidentifying critters when we are in the field. But I'm sure they would love to tell you everything they think they know. They all seem to do that for some reason. Some of the district bios are actually hunters themselves and will definitely point you in the right directions. There are very few of those guys left.

Here in Georgia, the DNR Hotline if a joke. I found a nice in the woods just inside my property. The buck had been shot a short time before I found it. I called the GA DNR Hotline to report it and was told that the GA DNR was not responsible for DEAD deer,
Next time I called it was about trespassers hunting on my land. They sent out an DNR officer. He told me there was nothing that he would do since he did not see them on my property and then he asked me if I would consider giving the trespassers permission to hunt on my land so there would not any further problems.
I just said NO and walked off.
Maybe try the Sherriff’s office next time. In IA you get much faster response for dead deer, road kills, salvage tags, and trespassing as they have much larger staff. There is less than one CO per county in IA and chances are poor they will be in your area when you call.

Jethro

WKR
Have a good biologist contact in WY. Have talked elk and drainages and that info is helpful. But also road access and if open roads are truck friendly or atv needed. Where he sees heavy pressure and where he doesn’t. Where to get drinking water or a shower. All that intel from a local that is in and around the unit all year helps with planning. He’s a fed biologist, not state.

Warden conversations have been friendly but generic regardless of specific questions. Although answers to regulation/legality questions very straightforward and helpful.

hoff1ck

WKR
Biologist I spoke to in Montana was not helpful at all. Gave a big sigh once he knew I wanted to speak about elk stuff. Offered to call back when it was a better time for him and he said “no, let’s just get this over with now.” I was well prepared but it was not a good use of my time or his.

Had better luck with COs for the area. Were a wealth of knowledge of what roads to use/avoid in the units.

That was for my first elk hunt and I haven’t made calls for the last 3 I’ve been on after that, definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. But I think if you catch the right person and ask the right questions, it can be fruitful.

Extrapale

WKR
I believe every conversation has taken place after extensive research and scouting trip(s).

Nevada, great conversations with multiple bios.

Oregon, disappointing conversations with bios and OSP. Mostly for my Sheep tag, but also for deer and Antelope. Lack of knowledge for the most part.

Arizona, quoted the information booklet almost verbatim in a face to face random encounter while on a scouting trip.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I've called and sometimes it takes a couple attempts over a month or so to actually talk to someone.

Tell em what you are after (trophy mule deer in unit X - such and such county, near XYZville) and then ask if they are familiar with the area or the unit. That should lead into some specific questions - if you are looking for animal numbers ask them if the herd is healthy there, where the animals will be - low, medium, up high -, etc... You can close with the question of something like - did I pick a good area or is there somewhere else I should look for a mature muley?

One thing that eastern folks don't know is that western game wardens are often very involved with the biologists - I've had better success talking with the game wardens. And I ask if they have any pet peeves I should definitely avoid - this was how a GW told me that corner crossing is illegal in WY and that he would ticket. Golden information cause the unit I was hunting did not have friendly locals and they'da called him in a heartbeat.

Good luck in your quest.

Zdub02

WKR
I had good luck contacting a biologist in Wyoming. Don't recall taking forever to get him on the phone and he was very helpful with answering questions. Also have had good luck speaking with biologists for my local areas but that mostly occurs in person at hunting shows.