Garage gear hanging storage

2ski

WKR
I want to hang some coats and rain gear on hangers in my garage and thought maybe RS would have some ideas.

What I'm looking at is a corner so I was envisioning something like a pipe or dowel coming straight out from the one wall and then coming over and taking a 90 degree turn and going to the other wall. But I'm having a hard time figuring out how I want to do it.

Amy ideas on what you would do? Or is there some other idea that would be much simpler?

No affiliation but have had good luck with this stuff, especially when they have a closeout sale, some basic and more complex options

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

wnelson14

WKR

These are decently priced Chinese boxes that you can add hanger, drawers, doors, pullouts or whatever you want. It’s cheaper then just building some plywood cabinets. Or you could go to Lowe’s/Home Depot and buy some kind of closet organizer station.

You could accomplish what you're envisioning with two lengths of iron pipe threaded on both ends, one 90° elbow, two floor flanges, and a handful of fasteners to secure the flanges to the wall. Long screws driven into the studs would be preferable, but some hefty drywall anchors could work if studs aren't conveniently located. If it's just for hanging clothes, 1/2" NPS (nominal pipe size) would be plenty. Probably $35-40 for materials depending on how long you make it.

Last edited:

Blue_dog

FNG

These are decently priced Chinese boxes that you can add hanger, drawers, doors, pullouts or whatever you want. It’s cheaper then just building some plywood cabinets. Or you could go to Lowe’s/Home Depot and buy some kind of closet organizer station.
This is what I did. Figuring out what to order is harder than the assembly. I put a lock on one door for long Guns and separated out deer hunting scent gear vs everything else. Solid organization options and looks good but not the cheapest.

You could accomplish what you're envisioning with two lengths of iron pipe threaded on both ends, one 90° elbow, two floor flanges, and a handful of fasteners to secure the flanges to the wall. Long screws driven into the studs would be preferable, but some hefty drywall anchors could work if studs aren't conveniently located. If it's just for hanging clothes, 1/2" NPS (nominal pipe size) would be plenty. Probably $35-40 for materials depending on how long you make it.
I would do this, only to the ceiling joists.

Especially if you think you might wind up hanging waders, or something heavy on it.

OP

2ski

WKR
I like the options fellas. Thank you. I can see the benefits of both. I can see the benefit of mounting to the ceiling and let's be honest it would just look cooler too. And the wardrobe would work too, plus adding shelves would be handy.

I appreciate the help all. Thank you.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely get something enclosed to keep all the dust and etc off your clothes. I had a cheap armoir in my garage that I had to retrofit/upgrade eventually after the fabric deteriated etc. Rebuilt the frame with PVC and ordered a custom fabric zip up from a local wall tent company. Great setup. Now I wish i would have made it double wide.

Mark