Garmin 60 CSX

I've been using the 60 csx for years but am a low tech guy that hasn't used half of its functions. I primarily use it for marking the truck prior to leaving and setting some waypoints in advance or on the fly as I'm traveling. I always carry a hard copy map and use a compass as well and was thinking of adding maps to this GPS. Can any of you recommend a chip with topo maps etc to add to this GPS. Seems like some of the stuff out there isn't made for this older unit ?This GPS works great and is tough so I plan to keep it .

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I too am still sporting the 60 CSX and use it pretty much exactly as you describe. In 2012 my brother and I went on a 70 mile backpack trip and bought a topo chip from REI (I think) and used it in my brothers GPS which was one generation newer and it worked. If memory serves me correct it was a 62 CSX. We never did try it in mine, but the chip looks the same. We also had paper maps as a backup.

xziang

WKR
I have an Onxmaps chip in my 60csx for CO. I've had it for the last 6 years.

Dumb question for the onxmaps chip with the 60csx..Does the chip basically show trails and roads along with elevations plus private and public areas?

(I know what it can do by video on the newer models but curious about the older one)

Thanks

OP
Violent Hippie
Thanks for the feedback guys . I will check with OnXmaps to see if they still make the compatible chips for the 60 csx.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Dumb question for the onxmaps chip with the 60csx..Does the chip basically show trails and roads along with elevations plus private and public areas?

Yes. And unit boundaries. That came in handy this year as I was bordering two units a lot, and my tag was only good in one of them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
im suprised how many random areas in BFE are owned by someone.

I see a lot of conflicts between the chip and certain maps. This year my chip and one map said a chunk was private, but the 2014 updated NF map showed nothing. And there was no indication at all that any of the area in question was ever private. In another unit there is an entire section that shows private that nobody knows it as private and everybody hunts it. So I'm cautious on all the private I see in the middle of nowhere.

Running the 60csx as well. Planning a trip to Kodiak in October 2017 and trying to find maps on Garmin. Nothing comes up anymore for the 60csx? Any ideas?

OP
Violent Hippie
I spoke with 2 guys at Garmin directly over the last 2 weeks. They both basically told me to pound sand not even offering the info about the OnXmaps option or any other option . Thee one guy with Garmin seemed disappointed that his company pretty much abandoned the 60 CSX due to newer models that were not necessarily more accurate or more reliable. I will most likely just keep rocking this unit as I have with just hard copy maps. I may try out the wrist model (Fortrex 401 ) since its way lighter and will do the same as this unit with no maps.

get a sd card and go to gpsfiledepot. com and get all the maps you want there for free. I have used them for years and have not had any problems. I have topo maps of all the states I have hunted and have done overlays with those maps to show unit boundaries and trails. Any of the state topo maps on that site will have most of what you need and then some. They show a lot of roads and springs that most hard copies don't show. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions. If I was still in Reno I would offer to meet up with you and show you how it works.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
id caution you guys about the 60csx. A friend had one and certain onx chips would work and others wouldn't. He spoke with the onx guys thinking it was a bad chip, but they said they've also had other people calling with the same issue with the same unit. They recommended to him that he get a newer model GPS. I never had a problem with my 60csx though.
I'd at least make sure your chips work IN your unit before you go. Especially if you're depending on it.

Between work and play I've used 5 OnXMaps chips in 6 different 60CSX units without any trouble, and I'm still using 2 of them with 4 different chips. If there was a problem I'd start with updating the gps software - Google will get you there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I spoke with 2 guys at Garmin directly over the last 2 weeks. They both basically told me to pound sand not even offering the info about the OnXmaps option or any other option . Thee one guy with Garmin seemed disappointed that his company pretty much abandoned the 60 CSX due to newer models that were not necessarily more accurate or more reliable. I will most likely just keep rocking this unit as I have with just hard copy maps. I may try out the wrist model (Fortrex 401 ) since its way lighter and will do the same as this unit with no maps.

Call onxmaps and talk with them. I had the same 60csx, and if I recall correctly, they didn't recommend their chip with the 60 but it might work.

mmac

WKR
Anyone have any updates on whether the newest chips from Onxmaps works in the 60csx? I see some forums where guys say it works, but then doesn't. Above makes me think it will, but not on the list for Onxmaps compatible. I hate to get another just to run the chips.

Zingnut

FNG
Bought the WY, and IL OnX chip last year, updated the chip and it worked fine on my 60CSX. I updated to the 64ST this year for the same trip and the chips swap between the two units just fine. I also use an older CO chip in the 60CSX with no issues, all are running current updated maps from OnX.