Garmin In Reach Mini Set Up: Troubleshooting and Which Apps?

Mr2143

FNG
I purchased a Garmin In Reach Mini, signed up for a monthly plan and have it activated. I paired it with my cell phone, downloaded the EarthMate app, and sent a test message to my spouse. She received the test message, but when she replied to it, I didn't receive her reply test message to me. The message I sent through Earthmate came across as a text message to her. Does she need a particular app on her phone to use the messaging system? Is Earthmate the most ideal form of communication? I also see that there is a Garmin Messenger available in the App Store. Is this more beneficial? Are there any other app recommendations I should be downloading to best utilize the Garmin? Thanks all!

In for replies as well since maybe I'm not doing it the best way either, but your wife should be able to just reply to that text message and it will come through to your Earthmate app. Sometimes there is a pretty decent delay so don't expect it to be instantaneous like a regular text message. Also, your inReach only checks for messages every so often (that might be a setting you can change, I don't remember), otherwise you have to have it check manually, which you can do from the unit or the Earthmate app.

She doesn't need any special app or anything.