Garmin Inreach, Inreach Explorer or other?

seww

WKR
I've finally gotten around to purchase some sort of satellite communicator, but would prefer a Garmin with the GPS function. I have used them before and always liked having a more secure navigation tool than my phone alone.

I've looked at the Inreach Explorer which is an outdated model, from Garmin's perspective. It still works flawlessly I assume. I can find a refurbished one from Amazon for $350-$400. The Inreach Mini is $400 or so.
Then we have the 66i, currently $600 from Garmin's website. But now they've just released the 67i for $600.

Would it be worth an extra $200 to get the latest 67i? Anyone tried it yet?
Is it more worth to get the Zoleo instead and save $400+? Get a better case and powerbank for the phone instead?

Luxury problems...

WKR
I went Zoleo, and it has worked better than my hunting partner's mini. In his case, I think the main issue with the mini was the user's lack of patience and technical abilities.

Montucky

WKR
InReach Mini never leaves my side…..phone for maps. Have an older 64st for backup navigation in certain situations…..backup Dark Energy bank…..this is an area I dont try to save $$ in…it’s essential

Night_owl

FNG
The garmin inreach mini and earth mate app have done well for me. All the issues I have ever seen with satellite messengers have been user error.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I went Zoleo, and it has worked better than my hunting partner's mini. In his case, I think the main issue with the mini was the user's lack of patience and technical abilities.
I tried the mini one day last year and it seemed to never work properly. Most likely a user error, though.

OP
S

seww

WKR
InReach Mini never leaves my side…..phone for maps. Have an older 64st for backup navigation in certain situations…..backup Dark Energy bank…..this is an area I dont try to save $$ in…it’s essential
My thought is that if the phone dies, I may not be able to get back to camp/car that easily. A GPS is sturdier than a phone, but with a proper case and a powerbank, that problem would be solved. Cheaper than a 67i too.

OP
S

seww

WKR
The garmin inreach mini and earth mate app have done well for me. All the issues I have ever seen with satellite messengers have been user error.
I have been using my phone alone with oNx for 2 years, no complaints but would be nice to have that SOS button available since I'm mostly solo and being 5+ miles from the car and get injured is not fun. Hasn't happened but when it does...

I have a zoleo as well as my hunting buddy they both have worked great for us. I have an older Garmin GPS but that hasn't left the truck glove box in years very comfortable with my phone zoleo and a power bank

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I have the 66i and wish I had the mini for size. I never use the GPS function with offline smartphone apps, garmin instinct GPS watch etc. Too many redundancies for me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

seww

WKR
I have a zoleo as well as my hunting buddy they both have worked great for us. I have an older Garmin GPS but that hasn't left the truck glove box in years very comfortable with my phone zoleo and a power bank

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
With the Zoleo, what can you do if your phone dies? It doesn't have a screen.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I have the 66i and wish I had the mini for size. I never use the GPS function with offline smartphone apps, garmin instinct GPS watch etc. Too many redundancies for me personally.

Yeah, this also make sense. I already have the phone, a Zoleo is like $150, and a new case and powerbank is pretty cheap too. Would save me a few hundreds...

WKR
With the Zoleo, what can you do if your phone dies? It doesn't have a screen.
You can recharge your phone with a solar battery bank, send a check-in alert with the check-in button, or request an emergency response with the SOS button.

OP
S

seww

WKR
You can recharge your phone with a solar battery bank, send a check-in alert with the check-in button, or request an emergency response with the SOS button.
Can you have several different messages on the check-in button? Or is it just one preset message?

WKR
Can you have several different messages on the check-in button? Or is it just one preset message?
It just sends "I'm OK.", and optionally your location if you set it up that way to your list of check-in contacts.

WKR
I'm hoping SpaceX and T-mobile get me set up with satellite texting later this year. At that point I'm not sure I'll even take the Zoleo on most trips.

This will definitely help me with my decision. I’m between a Mini2 and the 67i.

Has anyone here wished that they had a standalone unit for navigation? I too, use my phone but once in a while I forget to download maps for areas that I’m hiking/fishing/hunting.

pm07

FNG
I played with the Mini for a couple of weeks. There is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, I found it to be easy to use and the size is just right. With that said, a friend has the 67i and I am kind of digging it. Way more features, easier to see the screen, but that comes at a cost and weight price.

JCS271

FNG
This is my 3rd year with a Zoleo and it's one of my prized pieces of gear. EXCEPTIONAL service up here in the mountains , much more reliable than my partners inreach.

I am just now starting research into one of these options and REI has the 66i for $399 with the 67i at the $600 mark.

If you had the choice of a 66i vs mini 2 for the same price, which would you go with?

I also see they extended the battery life on the 67i substantially and it now uses USBC. Does that make it worth the $200 price jump now?