Garmin InReach Messenger Vs Inreach Mini 2

Those of you who have used both, which one should I buy and why?

(Longtime user of full-sized Inreach explorer so this is for a remote work project for texting from phone covering business needs). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mini 2, buddy has a messenger. Sat next to him at camp and he sent/received messages like he was texting, I set it and check back 10-15 min later and if it isn't cloudy it probably went through, if I'm lucky the response came back. Mine is lighter and I usually just need to send out an I'm alive message. But I've killed animals and sent messages praying they'd get out in a reasonable amount of time so I'd have to make less trips 😅

Bluesky

FNG
Working in the search and rescue industry. I've seen first hand the ACR Bivy stick save lives out at sea. Both Inreach options are polular. After seeing how effective the Bivy was, I will consider something like that. Considering you have a power bank to keep your phone alive. If that isn't an option... any PLB is better than none.

Just, respectfully, PLEASE remember to register it with current information, whether purchasing new or used. Can't begin to explain how often and difficult it is for first responders to get a SARSAT alert and have hunt for info because the PLB is still registered to some guy in Florida with a skiff who hasn't had it for 32 years, instead of the guy who actually needs help.

Best of luck!

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wanting to get a satellite messenger too. Like Elfor mentioned, the Zoleo looks great too. Those that have the zoleo, does the app let you know your message count? Also, for someone that won't be messaging much at all, is there a better one for that?

OP
Peregrine1
Thank you all for the great replies—this is all very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
I have mini's. I would only get the mini if weight is the main concern. It is very slow to send messages back and forth and occasionally doesn't get signal at all. The battery is also better with the bigger ones from my understanding.

RELIANT

FNG
I've been wanting to get a satellite messenger too. Like Elfor mentioned, the Zoleo looks great too. Those that have the zoleo, does the app let you know your message count? Also, for someone that won't be messaging much at all, is there a better one for that?
It does not let you know how many messages of your plan you have used, but it only charges for messages that are sent through the device and not through cellular on your phone app (if you are in an area with spotty cell coverage some may go through the app or the device)

I have the Garmin messenger and love it. Haven't had the mini. The guy at s&s archery told me before I bought mine that the send/receive times and signal capabilities seem to be the same for both. All my messages seem to go out and come back quickly, tree cover or not.

I wrote a decent length review on one of the messenger threads here after using it last fall.

RS3579

WKR
I have the Garmin messenger and love it. Haven't had the mini. The guy at s&s archery told me before I bought mine that the send/receive times and signal capabilities seem to be the same for both. All my messages seem to go out and come back quickly, tree cover or not.

I wrote a decent length review on one of the messenger threads here after using it last fall.
Post in thread 'Garmin releases the Messenger'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/garmin-releases-the-messenger.280531/post-2785776

Old thread but....does the messenger use Earthmate or a new app?
It uses the Explore app.