Garmin Montana 750i

parshal

WKR
I haven’t weighed it but was surprised how light the battery is. I’ll still carry a battery bank for multi day hunts.

robbk

FNG
I am trying to decide between the 700i and the 750i -- I am interested in the camera and the quality of the 8MP. Once received can someone share a few images?

parshal

WKR
Received my 750i but haven't compared the photo quality of the camera vs an iPhone.

One disappointing item is that Onyx chips do not work with the newer operating system of the Montana series. It's so new the guy I spoke with at Onyx wasn't able to give any plan, ETA, etc. I had planned on leaving the phone. If I want the Onyx map I'll have to take the phone. Now, I'll have to see if the Garmin public lands map on the Montana is good and up to date.

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
I received my unit Monday. Upon opening the box my very first impression was that this thing is heavier than I expected. It is about the length and width of a large smart phone, but about four times thicker. My concern vanished, however, when I broke out the scale. It weighs in at 14.4 oz, about the same as my old InReach and cell phone. If I throw the handheld GPS into the mix, I will be saving almost a half pound. And it fits nicely in the belt pouch on my packs.

The owners manual is pretty spartan, only very basic info. The manual says to fully charge the unit first, so I connected it to a USB port on my desktop computer. When connected to a computer, the unit automatically goes into a mode where the screen goes black and only shows "GARMIN" and a little network symbol with no way to know if the unit is charging. It has to be plugged into a USB wall outlet charger in order to see charging progress.

Figuring out the InReach activation process was a challenge. Installing Garmin Express on my desktop computer was necessary, the old InReach sync app did not recognize the Montana. Once I figured that out, things went more smoothly. I signed into my Garmin account and got the old InReach unassigned and the Montana assigned. Garmin Express kept asking me to unplug the unit from the computer and plug it back in, which was annoying. And I still cannot get my contacts and preset messages to sync to the Montana. I need to call Garmin Support about that...or just enter them manually.

I also purchased Garmin's HuntView for Arizona online, and downloaded it rather than buying the chip. I installed a blank 32GB chip in the unit, I believe this was the right choice because managing maps in Garmin Express seems like the way to go for me. When I got the HuntView data loaded into the Montana and played around with the map screen, I think having only the HuntView Topo and HMU maps turned on will give me everything I will need in the field. Topo shows public vs private, so for my Coues hunt this fall where I will be hunting strictly public, I will be able to distinguish NF, BLM, and state trust from private and military. HuntView has parcel data, but I just don't need that. You can also download birdseye imagery to the unit via WiFi ahead of a trip, but I never really have the need for that in the field.

Anyway, looking forward to getting this thing into the mountains, so far I am very satisfied.

parshal

WKR
I still cannot get my contacts and preset messages to sync to the Montana. I need to call Garmin Support about that...or just enter them manually.

I fiddled around with this as well. I was unable to sync the contacts via the same methods as the other inReach devices I've used by clicking 'sync' on the explore.garmin.com site. It says on that site you can use Express to sync but that doesn't sync the inReach information.

I installed the Garmin Explore app on my phone. It's, essentially, the same function as Garmin Earthmate that I used with my inReach Mini. You'll need to pair the Montana to your phone using Garmin Connect (which will automatically open, if installed, when you try to pair using Explore). I had it installed since I used it with my Mini. Don't do like me and click cancel when it asks you to pick an accessory during the pairing process. It will take a minute or two for the Montana to show up in that list. Once paired, you can sync all your inReach stuff via the Explore app.

<edit>I found this link for pairing: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=xnxBqawGRp0vickWJHl1d6

I also purchased Garmin's HuntView for Arizona online, and downloaded it rather than buying the chip.

I found the explore.garmin.com map online and the map in the Explore app to show a particular hunting easement while none of the other Garmin maps showed it. I asked Garmin about this and they suggested the huntview chip. I asked about download vs chip and he said both need a chip. The advantage of buying the chip is that it can be moved to different devices. If you use the download and Garmin Express he said it becomes locked to the device so I went ahead and ordered a chip. I asked if he could verify that the easement would show up but he could not. It's very strange that the Explore map would show it but no other map I could find.

Last edited:
OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
I fiddled around with this as well. I was unable to sync the contacts via the same methods as the other inReach devices I've used by clicking 'sync' on the explore.garmin.com site. It says on that site you can use Express to sync but that doesn't sync the inReach information.

I installed the Garmin Explore app on my phone. It's, essentially, the same function as Garmin Earthmate that I used with my inReach Mini. You'll need to pair the Montana to your phone using Garmin Connect (which will automatically open, if installed, when you try to pair using Explore). I had it installed since I used it with my Mini. Don't do like me and click cancel when it asks you to pick an accessory during the pairing process. It will take a minute or two for the Montana to show up in that list. Once paired, you can sync all your inReach stuff via the Explore app.

I found the explore.garmin.com map online and the map in the Explore app to show a particular hunting easement while none of the other Garmin maps showed it. I asked Garmin about this and they suggested the huntview chip. I asked about download vs chip and he said both need a chip. The advantage of buying the chip is that it can be moved to different devices. If you use the download and Garmin Express he said it becomes locked to the device so I went ahead and ordered a chip. I asked if he could verify that the easement would show up but he could not. It's very strange that the Explore map would show it but no other map I could find.

Since this device is replacing all others it doesn't matter to me if the HuntView data gets tied to it. I guess I will install the Explorer app on my phone and see if I can get the contacts and preset messages to sync...thanks for that tip.

parshal

WKR
I guess I will install the Explorer app on my phone and see if I can get the contacts and preset messages to sync...thanks for that tip.

It'll work like a champ if you don't get impatient like I did. LOL

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
Oh, one thing I forgot to include in the previous info. I ran the unit down to 50% battery and timed how long it took to charge back to 100% from the Anker 10000. It took just over an hour. I did that twice and the Anker still showed half full, so I assume it would have done a couple more charges from 50% to 100%. So maybe two full charges from 0% to 100%?

parshal

WKR
I was surprised how fast this fully charges from near empty. I didn't try from a battery pack but a USB cable in AC power. It was darned fast.

recieved my 700i. It is definitely an improvement over the 66i, but I'll be reselling it in October after my hunt. They dropped the ball on so many areas with this device. Maybe next years variant will be on par with technology and interface. Same crappy resolution, just with a touch screen.I'll post pics and a more thorough review later.

I received my 750I and so far it’s a glorified Inreach with navigation. It took hours and $90 to get Huntview for my state installed. None of the peaks, canyons, springs or anything else is labeled. It takes a long time to generate maps when imagery is turned on. Also the imagery for my particular unit has snow all over it. I’m going to call Garmin on Tuesday but so far I’m leaning toward returning this unit but we will see what Garmin says Tuesday

I just sent mine back. The whole experience was terrible and just glad to get rid of it at this point lol