Garmin releases the Messenger

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use more than 40 for sure. That’s incoming and outgoing. The whole point of having one of these is to text back and forth with my family for a week in the mountains. 40 won’t cut it at that same price. I would have to step up to unlimited.
With that use, I agree.

My messages a pretty much limited to "checking in, all is good," "stopping/camping here," and "moving/breaking camp." Those are my free presents. That certainly does not make a conversation though.

idcuda

WKR
has roughly three times the battery life as the Zoleo and double the inReach Mini 2
That would be interesting (and sounds suspect). I have a zoleo and I'm amazed at the battery life, even when I leave it on continuously.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. Wonder how well it gets signal without the larger antenna that the Mini 2 has. I have the Mini 2 and it sometimes struggles to get signal in the woods. I kind of like using the go to waypoint feature on the Mini 2 so I don't have to pull out my phone.

bsnedeker

WKR
I use more than 40 for sure. That’s incoming and outgoing. The whole point of having one of these is to text back and forth with my family for a week in the mountains. 40 won’t cut it at that same price. I would have to step up to unlimited. When it’s off season I suspend my Zoleo for $4/mo
I disagree. The "whole point" of the device is to send messages in an emergency. You can also use it to send 40 texts a day to people if you are unable to disconnect when you are hunting.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Want the new tmobile phones make all the devices obsolete? I currently have zoleo and happy with it.
The beta testing for that doesn't doesn't even start until late next year. We still have some time before that comes. I'm not holding my breath just quite yet. T-mobile has been some of the worst cellular coverage I have ever experienced. But I am willing to accept it because of how much I hate Verizon's customer service which rivals going to the DMV.

The beta testing for that doesn't doesn't even start until late next year. We still have some time before that comes. I'm not holding my breath just quite yet. T-mobile has been some of the worst cellular coverage I have ever experienced. But I am willing to accept it because of how much I hate Verizon's customer service which rivals going to the DMV.
The new iPhone 14 supposedly has the $20,000 helicopter ride button built in. I just think its time.

I dont have anybody to communicate with at home, so the emergency feature is all I need. I'm thinking iPhone just got my business and the PLB is staying in the truck. Unless Samsung gets something out the door before hunting season 2023.

Gone4Days

WKR
I disagree. The "whole point" of the device is to send messages in an emergency. You can also use it to send 40 texts a day to people if you are unable to disconnect when you are hunting.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I have a PLB for rescue. I use mine for communication in the backcountry. Also, it’s not 40 a day. It’s 40 a month… incoming and outgoing.

Last edited:
Hunted recently with GPSMAP 86Sci. Kept it on a lot and used for a quite a bit of navigation. 12 days and fully charged it a little over 2x.

Group messenger and the battery life are the most appealing features to me. Hope zoleo is paying attention.

I'm about to be in the market for one. Messenger, or mini2, or explorer.

Hmmm. Need to replace my spotx. It sucks.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
Friends don’t let friends drink corporate coffee
Drink the same crappy pre-bagged Folgers drip for 10 years at work and one day a Starbucks machine shows up? Yes, please. Otherwise, Stocking Mill for me.

As for the thread, Messenger is neat but I really like the nav tracking on my Explorer+. Lets me relive the hunts in the offseason when I go back and retrace my steps.