Gear list from my AK moose trip

mcseal2

WKR
I've been getting lots of PM's about my gear list lately and am happy to send it out to anyone who wants it. I've had a few people tell me that the ancient version of Excel on my ancient computer isn't working for them on their more modern computers. I probably need to update my computer, but since it still works for what I need it to do, I'm spending my money on hunting!

Anyway I copied my gear list over to Word and made some comments as I did so. I'm going to see if it will post up here for anyone's use. I'm sure happy to send the Excel version so don't hesitate to ask if that version helps you more. What I'm putting up now is the modified list I'd take if I was going back this fall. Damn I wish I was going back this fall, but I have to re-build the hunting budget a bit longer before that happens. Everything I put on this list is things I own and have experience with so it's not perfect but it's what I'd use.

Some stuff might be listed both in the top couple posts I did now, and the lists of Group med or Group repair I put below. I didn't have those listed out in my Excel file, just put in as a total weight in the Excel file. I made those lists before the hunt a while and weighed them.

The list looks enormous but I promise my half is not over 116lbs. We had a 100lb weight limit and then since we used our tent instead of the transporters we got another 32lbs for the group, or 16lbs apiece to use.

Last I'm reminding everyone I've been on only the one moose hunt or one Alaskan trip. It was to a very swampy area where nothing we ever found was over 6 feet above the water level. Your hunt may be way different than mine and have different needs. Also I'm just reminding everyone that while I'm glad to help however I can and love talking moose hunting, my experience is limited compared to many. I'll give all the answers I have but they may not be the ones you need....

Lets see if this works:

Last edited:
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Optics
-Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B 1600 rangefinding binos
-FHF bino harness with Kuiu rain cover (Fenix 1AAA light, mini BIC lighter in baggie w/ tinder in pocket)
-Kowa 55mm spotter with Kowa stay on case
-Promaster 525 tripod with Outdoorsmans pan head, and Outdoorsmans shooting rest
-Nike hard sunglass case with brown polarized lens sunglasses and lens cloth

Shooting gear
-Rifles Inc LW 70 300 win mag Huskemaw 3-12x42, sling
-25 rounds 180gr Nosler E tip factory ammo
-Butler Creek bikini scope cover
-Huskemaw factory scope caps (clear lens I could shoot through)
-wind meter
-wind drift chart in MOA for my rifle
-small bottle Rem oil
-Ear plugs (2 pair)
-Otis 30 cal cleaning kit (small kit stripped down to essentials)
-Electrical tape for muzzles (partial roll)

Bags
-Kuiu Taku 9000 dry bag (used as luggage on plane and as my closet in the tipi)
-Kuiu Taku 2000 dry bag (carry on bag for plane, used for small items I wanted handy in tipi)
-Sea to Summit tan 35L Event dry bag (used between wings of Kifaru Nomad for clothing etc)
-Granite Gear Event 18L ultralight dry bag (used with spare base layers as pillow in tipi)
-Kifaru 26” tactical frame, Nomad 2 bag, Grab it 2 attachment, Pods8 Nalgene holder
-Kifaru rain cover

Clothing

We had unseasonably warm temps and were still on the verge of cold wearing everything at times. Just above freezing, windy, and damp chills me as much as any weather does. This is what I’d take going again from what I own and have experience using. We took our rain jackets and waders off whenever we could at camp and turned them inside out to dry any condensation inside. Every piece of vegetation was dripping wet much of the time so we still needed something waterproof on moving around camp. The Yukon rain pants are overkill for this, but they never leaked through sitting on wet stuff. I don’t think light rain pants would have survived.

-Rain gear
-FL (First Lite) SEAK rain jacket
-Marmot Precip rain jacket (wear around camp while SEAK is airing out)
-Kuiu Yukon rain pants (wear around camp while waders are airing out)

-Upper body
-FL Aerowool T shirt (pillow case for dry bag, spare base layer)
-FL Wilikin Aerowool long sleeve half zip shirt x2
-Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody
-FL Uncompaghre vest
-Sitka Mountain jacket (thin windproof layer)
-Kifaru Lost Park Puffy jacket

-Lower body
-FL Aerowool boxer briefs x3
-FL Aerowool 200 long underwear x2
-Darn Tough full cushion boot socks x4
-Terramar Predator fleece under wader pants

-Head/hands
-Kuiu Peloton 200 gloves x2 (most wind resistant, quick drying light gloves I’ve tried)
-Kuiu Superdown glassing mittens
-FL Aerowool baklava
-Sitka Gore tex waterproof waterfowl ball cap
-mosquito face net x2 (never needed it, but I won’t go to AK without 2)

-Waders/Footwear
-Simms G3 chest wader
-Simms G3 wader boot
-Tingley rubber ultralight boots (up one size from normal, perfect camp shoes in a swamp)
-Kennetrek Mountain Extreme (wore on the trip up, never took into the field. In case we got dropped in a drier area I wanted them with me in AK)

Last edited:
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Sleep

-Kifaru Slickbag +20 synthetic bag (I like synthetic to dry socks, gloves, etc in footbox at night)
-Thermarest X therm size large
-cot provided by transporter
-used dry bag of clothes as a pillow inside a Aerwool T shirt as a pillow case

Tools/Game processing
-Gransfers Bruks Small forest axe OR outdoor axe (depending if I took stove for tipi or not)
-Bark River clip point hunter knife (fixed blade, main game processing knife)
-Zero Tolerance 452CF folding knife (carried in pocket for general use, still good size/shape for game)
-Cabelas ceramic steel (only tool we needed to keep knives sharp through 2 moose)
-Wyoming saw (18” version)
-Outdoor Edge razor lite knife (leave at transporters for cleaning skulls, worked best of what we had)

If I have the weight allowance I’d add a Havalon Barracuta with 2 saw, 2 fillet, and 4 hunting blades and a Benchmade field sharpener. The saw would be handy for starting the rib cuts before there is much room for the big saw. The fillet would be nice around the spine for trimming, and the hunting blades I’d use for hide cuts to save the edge on the good knives. I have a multi-tool in the repair kit to change blades. Dean's mini block and tackle kit with chain links and paracord is in there too.

-Tag bags Alaskan 6 pack (28”x60”) one for each moose (4 quarters and 2 rib slabs)
-Tag Bags 24”x44” bags x 2 (loins, tenderloins, neck, trim meat)
-60“ cloth tape
-Tyvek 8’x8’ sheets to put meat on x4
-50ft orange paracord
-Leki micro vario carbon trekking poles

Camp

-Seek Outside 8 man tipi with liners and bug netting on doors
-Kifaru SST 18” stakes (or a homemade version) x 20
-Imitation MSR cyclone 10” aluminum stakes x 20
-Seek Outside DST tarp (10’x10’) put at camp
-Seek Outside Colorado tarp (10’x9.5’) put over our kitchen
-Kifaru Sheep tarp (glassing shelter in pack)
-Katadyn base camp 10L water filter, spare filter element
-Sea to Summit 10L collapsible bucket
-7”x16” filter sock (got off Ebay) to prefilter water from bucket into Katadyn
-Coglans camp soap 2oz bottle
-50 gallon drum liners x3
-100ft orange paracord
-Nylon braided cord (size 18, 249ft roll of 155lb test)
-cooking stove, fuel, all pots, pans, cups, plates, and utensils were rented from transporter

Misc gear

-Black Diamond Re-Volt headlamp (Fenix light in bino harness as back-up)
-AAA batteries x6 (fit Fenix or BD lamp) CR-2 battery for rangefinder
-I phone (used in Airplane mode w/ OnX maps I saved and to read at night, during slow times)
-Dark Energy Poseidon battery packs x2
-Mini USB cord for Steripen, headlamp, I phone cords x2 (tips are fragile, always have 2)
-Dean handled camera gear past my I phone
- all necessary paperwork, ID, tag, license etc in gallon ziplock (kept inside dry bag)
-Steripen rechargeable version (didn’t need but carried in pack for re-fills during the day)
-Steripen pre-filter for Nalgene bottle
-32oz Nalgene bottle
-Pathfinder stainless 32oz bottle, cup, lid
-32oz Ozark trail insulated bottle (if I had weight allowance, take hot drinks into field)
-Sawyer 3oz pump bottle 100% DEET
-32oz Gatorade bottle x2 (pee bottles for use in tent at night especially during rains)

-Bull Magnet moose call (guys up there laughed at them but I called in a couple raking with it when we split up and my buddy had the paddle)

-Wet Ones antibacterial wet wipes (20 wipe packets x5)

-2 rolls of blue shop towels cut in half (I cut them at home with the bread knife from the knife block, put them in plastic bags. Good for use in the camp kitchen or as toilet paper

-Rite in the Rain notebook and pen (my camp journal and had important lists and tips from before the trip)
-toothbrush, toothpaste
-Titanium long spork (eating from Mtn House packets)
-Tuffcloth container (wiping down knives, guns, anything that could rust)
-2 open reed predator calls (in case we got a shot at wolves, fox, bear)

Last edited:
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Group Medical kit for Alaska 7/29/18 (10.4oz total in gallon ziplock)

-new roll vet wrap
-50ft roll 1” wide duck tape
-4 gauze pads 3”x3”
-2 abdominal gauze pads, thicker 5”x9” pads
-Immodium 20 tablets
-Neosporin 1 .5oz tube
-bandaids assorted sizes 8
-hemostat
-Leukotape 1 roll
-aquamira tabs for 30 quarts of water (.2oz total emergency water treatment)
-Israeli bandage in DSK (daypack survival kit)

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Alaska DSK 7-22-18 (23.3oz total)

Contained in Granite Gear zipper pouch, qt ziplock in pouch for small items:

Medical

-2 gauze pads 3”x3”
-2 Band-aids 1lg, 1 small
-1 Israeli bandage 6” (group item 3oz)
-packaged suture 1 small (primarily for gear repair)

Multi-purpose

-Adventure Medical space blanket 96“x60“
-Gorilla superglue single use tube
-partial roll Tenacious Tape
-trotline cord 10yds 142lb green
-50ft 1.9mm paracord

Repair

-3 6” zip ties
-2 repair needles (one curved, one straight)
-6 safety pins (2XL, 2med, 2 small)

Emergency/Survival (1.2oz in small ziplock)

-12 fish hooks med to small (in tape with braided line wrapped around them)
-20ft 80lb braided Power Pro line
-3 nylon coated cable fishing leaders 12”
-9 36” 45lb cable fishing leaders converted into snares (have taken game to rabbit size with them)

Fire

-4 wetfire cubes
-1 Mentos bottle Vaseline soaked cotton balls
-mini Bic lighter
-Light my Fire firesteel and striker

Misc

-Petzl E-Lite in hard case, 4 CR2032 batteries
-lens cloth
-Danner boot lace
-Silva compass
-10 aquapure tabs (1/qt of water, 30 minutes)

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Repair kit for Alaska 7/29/18 24.3oz total

-zip ties assorted sizes x26
-heavy rubber bands x10
-clothes pins x10
-wader repair kits x2
-Gear Aid gear repair kit
-3ft baling wire
-lens wipes x8
-Thermarest repair kit x2
-partial roll Tenacious tape
-Torx for Talley rings/bases
-safety pins x5
-gorilla glue single use tube x2
-Dean’s chain link pulleys
-Otis cleaning kit 30 cal
-partial roll electrical tape for rifle muzzles
-Leatherman PST II
-Tuff Cloth and container
-6 AAA batteries for headlamp
-60” soft tape for antler spread measurement
-earplugs
-mini Bic lighters x3

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Only thing I saw I left out after getting this up and readable was my personal med kit and our food list.

My med kit was pretty simple:
Advil PM (puts me right to sleep)
Prescription meds for 15 days (5 extra)
Vitamins for 15 days
Aleve
Lotrimin cream (I treated my feet every night before going to sleep to prevent any issues. I never had any)
scent free hunting deodorant

Food is a separate Excel file I'm not going to tackle at the moment. We did group meals in the evening and our own thing for the rest of the day. We ate a lot of Mountain House and Hawk Vittles meals, sometimes with added stuff. My other post on what I learned covers a lot of it. I can do that Excel file like I did the other one if there is enough interest from those the Excel file won't work for.

Anyway hope it helps.

Buck2747

FNG
Thank you very much for putting this out there.. all this is great info to help with planning. Looking at a 2020 caribou and 2021 moose adventure.. just need to ge this down to 50 lbs as the transporters I have been looking at run cubs.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Yeah I'm researching caribou myself at the moment, I need to get back to AK ASAP!

The 50lb weight limit is going to be tougher. It will require more cuts than this list for sure. We ended up around 25lbs each on food because we had the weight to use and figured that's a good place to spend it. Can't eat gear on extra days in the field. We ended up out for 11 days instead of 10 since they had the chance to fly us in early ahead of the bad weather.

Most of the 50lb limits seem to not count what you wear. We had our gear weighed while we were in street clothes so all our stuff got weighted. That helps if you have your pockets full and layers on.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for sharing your list with us. I enjoy printing out peoples list and keeping them in a file for future thought and reference.
Good luck on your next adventure...

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the above and the pm on the food list and airport logistics. You are really paying this forward in a big way! Need more folks like you in the world we live in today.