Gear recommendations

lemmerjj

FNG
I have a rifle rifle deer hunt in southeast Montana in late October.

Just looking for recommended gear based on potential weather. I’ll be staying at a lodge. Just wanted to see what people think and what to be prepared for.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
Prepare for anything from sunny blue bird 60° days, to absolutely freezing double digit negatives x2 amplified by wind chill factor. You can always remove layers, but you can't add them if you don't have them.

OP
L

lemmerjj

FNG
Prepare for anything from sunny blue bird 60° days, to absolutely freezing double digit negatives x2 amplified by wind chill factor. You can always remove layers, but you can't add them if you don't have them.

That’s what I was afraid if hearing. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good pair of boots, and even better quality socks. I’ll second bringing different levels of base layers. Good luck and enjoy MT.

Wapiti1

WKR
October, southeast Montana? 30-50F normally. Probably no snow, but maybe a skiff. Wind, yes. 10-30 mph gusts. Maybe up to 50 on a bad day, but it's not usually that bad.

I would take a good hard shell (that fits over the puffy plus fleece zip up), puffy like a Kuiu Superdown or equivalent, fleece full zip hoodie (that fits over other clothes), fleece pull over, 2-3 long sleeve merino tops (light or med weight), 3 merino t-shirts, 2 light weight merino longies, and probably jeans that fit over the longies. Light wool socks, and heavy wool socks to double up if needed inside un-insulated boots. Light windstopper gloves, and merino liners or a pair of heavier weight gloves. Ball cap and toque. Don't forget a good orange vest to stay legal.

If you get cold easy, or have cold feet, change to medium/heavy weight longies, and 400 gram or insulated pac boots.

Jeremy

Erict

WKR
I hunt there early November every year.

Layers are best, so have room in your daypack to stow them in as you get hotter.

As above, the wind is typically relentless. Plan on hydrating plenty and bring lip balm.

If you are doing separate morning and evening hunts then I'd skip rain gear all together and tough it out should you get a rare soaking rain that time of year.