Gear Storage Inside or Outside

Morlanb3

FNG
Camo in the house or garage? Also bow , inside the house or garage. I'm currently storing my clothing inside to minimize the risk of any mice or bugs tearing things up but my bow stays outside. In prep for hunting last fall I had my bow checked out in April and my shop found I had a limb (Mathews Traverse) "de-laminate", they replaced it under warranty but they suggested to kee my bow inside. Long story short I still keep it outside out of convenience of use, what do you guys do? Thanks.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I live in greater Phoenix metro area, so hotter than hell. I start to delaminate if I stay in the heat…

I bring a lot of stuff inside for the summer months. In the garage, it’s stored in plastic bins during winter.

eamyrick

WKR
Live in Texas. The humidity and heat will destroy gear in the summer months. For most of hunting season it stays in the garage but when it starts to get warm it goes inside. I’ve had tent seam seal fail and waders fall apart from being in the garage.

Only outdoor gear I keep in the garage is fishing stuff, tree stands, chairs, coolers, and some other odds and ends.

Camo, bow, boots, packs, tents, quilts, etc. all inside.

Gear all stays in the basement, either in totes or hung up. Guns in the basement, usually my bow hangs on the wall in the garage so its easy to grab if I wanna shoot a few arrows in the evening.

During hunting season, I keep a tote in the garage with the gear I'm currently wearing, and will swap stuff out through the season as it gets colder.

If I could rebuild my house, I'd have a room in my house that also went out to the garage, and that's where I'd keep all my hunting stuff.. Could dress and undress in there, easy to load and unload the truck for a trip, etc

I live in Florida and also have a warehouse in Alabama where I hunt. In both places the heat and humidity ate brutal during the summer. I keep clothes, guns, ammo,optics, packs , electronics and small gear inside my house in my office and in one spare bedroom I have a couple rolling shelves with totes.
My clothes and boots are in totes or hanging in a closet in the house.

Anything that is effected from long exposure to the heat and humidity. Anything like climber stands or hard durable gear or accessories are stored in my garage or warehouse.

I learned many years ago that the heat and humidity would ruin clothing and equipment. Now that I have invested in really great gear I work harder at keeping care of it.

I will add that I am single so I can get away with more inside storage than my married friends With wives and kids. If I did I would need to climate control the garage. Not a heavy lift as its all insulated even the door. Not air tight but I would just keep it cool enough to keep the humidity down.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Camo in the house or garage? Also bow , inside the house or garage. I'm currently storing my clothing inside to minimize the risk of any mice or bugs tearing things up but my bow stays outside. In prep for hunting last fall I had my bow checked out in April and my shop found I had a limb (Mathews Traverse) "de-laminate", they replaced it under warranty but they suggested to kee my bow inside. Long story short I still keep it outside out of convenience of use, what do you guys do? Thanks.
Your bow should always stay in the house during storage. Heat will ruin limbs and bowstrings quicker than anything short of a dry fire situation. I've had to replace dozens of sets of limbs and strings because "I opened my case and my bow had just blown up". Yeah, bows in bow cases don't just blow up. Every one of them had them either in a non climate controlled garage, or their vehicle when it happened.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

north east PA here. Most of my gear lives in totes year round in my basement.

the stuff I keep in my garage doesOK. With our temps, we can get enough heat to cause long term issues with fabrics delaminating and bow limbs and such. Freezing can also be an issue for some things. The biggest concern is condensation. If the air is damp and temps get right you get condensation on metal surfaces. I have an older bow I left in there for a few weeks and the screws and bolts have a coat of rust now. It’s way too damp for guns.

I think you can get away with some stuff, but it is a compromise.

Honyock

WKR
I'm lucky enough to have a room in the house dedicated to gear storage. Pretty much everything I use except for tree stands, chairs, and other outdoor items go in the hunting room.