Gear that lasted over 20 years

I have many items that I purchased in the 1980s/1990s that I still use today.
These have passed the "test of time":
1) Helly Hansen Commercial Rain Gear
2) MSR Whisperlite stove
3) Leupold Scopes
4) Dana Design Arcflex backpack (company is now Mystery Ranch)
5) Leki trekking poles
6) Rapala fillet glove to protect hand from knife cuts, Gerber, Cutco knives
7) Maasdam rope puller for working on bull moose, getting boat unstuck
8) Eureka Summit Tent (survived many windstorms over 30 years)
9) Browning Citori shotguns, Remington 700 rifles
10) Grandma's cast iron skillet from the 1920s...still use it every day

What are your favorite items that have passed the test of time?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Schnees pacs- got them the second year I was a game warden, so puts them at about 33 years old, have been resoled twice. The leather still looks perfect!

PEET boot dryer- got it when I was logging in NW Montana, circa mid 70's- so roughly 45 years old. It's still used a lot Fall/Winter!

Mid 70-'s Winchester Featherweight- put it on a diet and have it sitting at 7# w/ scope/mounts :)

Mid 70's SKB o/u- don't hunt upland birds much, but the shotgun is still GTG

A few Filson pieces- whipcord pants, whipcord jacket and a jacket-shirt- all 25-35 years old

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a Gregory backpack at REI in CA in 1992 for hiking in CA and WA while in the Navy then AK, gave it to a coworker years ago for his son in Boy Scouts and this year he gave it back to me, still looks very good and useable. Also bought an MSR Whisper Lite stove which I also got back from my friend, it still works perfect with pot/pan set although a little worn from use.

“Cheapo” Maverick 88 shotgun (by Mossberg) from wal mart. 20 years old, has fallen in rivers, rode it truck boxes for years, and has always functioned properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Remington 870 and Nylon 66. Both bought as a kid in the 1960's. Still in use.
I almost listed my 66 also. Got it as a kid for coon hunting. Saw one in the shop the other day and was floored at the price tag on it

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
I always wanted a Nylon 66 after that guy that worked for Remington shot a couple bazillion wooden blocks out of the air with one, now I'm an old man and have never even shot one. Two colors if I remember correctly , Brown and black.
Think they made a version in green also.

We still use my great, great grandpa's Wards Hercules 410 as our primary grouse killer. I believe he bought it around 1910.

Sleeping Indian wool shirt

Someone mentioned Dana. I used the Bombpack from 99 until a few years ago and gave it to my brother. It’s his primary pack.

I’m still “running” a 1998 North Face Solarflare. Yeah, I can run in a mummy bag.

I’ve broken down every animal since 2000 with the same custom knife my dad gave me.

My wife. We’ve been walking through the mountains together since the early 90s. As long as I take care of her and keep the rust off her, she can still pack like 20+ years ago.

I forgot my favorite. I have a remington model 12 22. Hammerless and a takedown model that my dad bought for $20 in 1923. Its a real tack driver.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah you won't wear out a Dana pack :D I had a Bomb pack I foolishly sold, but still have one of their lumbar packs I still use when pulling a pulk- it's 25-ish years old

Maki35

WKR
Purchased in the 90's
Winchester featherlight wearing a Leupold
Remington 870
Buck 110 knife
L.L. Bean wool shirt

87TT

WKR
I only have one or two guns that aren't over 20 years old. Still carry my Grandfather's knife he made. And he died over 60 years ago.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A sampler.

-Remington 788 .243 bought used in 1984.
-Cabelas Spike Camp sleeping bag, 1984. My kids still use it.
-Whites logger boots, 1991. Need new soles, but leather is still good.
-GI polypro long johns, 1993-1998.
-Gander Mountain wool shirt, early 90s