Gear you wish you wouldn't have bought

Craig4791

WKR
Badlands 4500!! this is probably the biggest failure I have had. Had the pack loaded with meat plus all of my gear 110lbs total probably a couple miles back had all of the belts and straps as tight as I could get as the pain was killing me. I bent over slightly bending at the waist and heard a really loud pop. And the pack just seemed to really lose its structure. Took it off to find that both of the plastic! Stays had snapped in half.

Not made for hauling loads whatsoever!

Stealth cam game cameras

Fought muzzy's for a while. Waste of time and money.

Several pairs of cheap hunting boots

Several pairs of cheap camo garments

Pretty much every time i have tried saving money and going the cheaper route I have regretted it when it comes to backpack hunting.

Last edited:

bobhunts

WKR
A long time ago I had a so called backpack tent from the sportsmans guide and took it on my buddies sheep hunt and I had to cut holes in the floor to let water out so my bag didn't get wet while laying on the pad in my bag. Badlands hypervent pack the original one with the wire running through it. After two years it squeeked soo bad I took the cable rod out and covered it with athletic tape and could not get back in. The other thing that comes to mind is my Kennetek boots. No matter how many miles I put on them they just do not fit my feet. The guy I hunt with wears them too and he loves the fit but not the leaking. I will not name all of the packs that do not live up to the game but the Kelty Cache Hauler works but will make a real man out of you real quick! Just no adjustments for torso lenght other than the pins you can pull and move it up and down and the waist belt does not stay tight on your waist. Pack a couple of Elk quaters and a day pack on it and you will wish the trail is alot shorter than it is. And to top the list for me is Columbia OMNI heat base layers! They are very lightweight and thin with all of there little dots inside..and for some reason they are not any help more than some old fashioned cotton stuff and in my opinion I would not ever buy these. They are like taking a pair of under armour base layers and skimming off 2/3 of the fabric away and spraying dots on the inside and calling it a base layer. The other is socks. Do not buy the cheap ones as they are worth what they cost. Merino wool is best and you have to pay to get the best. Darn Tough is the best but Costco has some pretty good ones for a cheap price. I will say that they changed there formula this year and they are not as good as the older ones.They do not go up as high on your leg. Bob.

Great topic.

Goal Zero solar gear for backpacking and hunting - heavy, slow, and never used anything
1st generation Vortex Viper 15s - the hyper sensitive focus knob drove me nuts
Cabela's branded gloves always seem to disappoint me

For me it was my Nikon Monarch binoculars. As far as viewing things with them they are great. However, very shortly after I got them one of the eye relief cups jumped it's threads and got stuck which I later found out is a common problem with these binoculars. I also did not have much luck with the Danner Pronghorn boots, they killed my feet but others swear by them.

garrenj

FNG
REI minimalist bivy sack - did not breathe
Leupold RX-2 rangefinder - could never get it to work reliably
Badlands sacrifice - most uncomfortable ever even with light loads

Gman

WKR
Kifaru stuff. Seriously. Ignorance used to be bliss! Now I have to have the best stuff and it comes with a hefty price tag. If I never would have bought that first Kifaru pack I wouldn't know any better.:)

Carbon Element RKT
Blue Widow
EtaSolo Stove
Tarptent Rainbow
Injexions
Big Nasty Broadheads
Leupold RX-IV
Mosin Nagant
M48 Mauser

ckleeves

WKR
More stuff than i care to think about, but the one thing that really jumps out is shotguns. I think I have owned at least 2 semi-auto shotguns from every manufacture searching for the perfect shotgun. Now I just stick with Beretta, should have never strayed.

shaun

WKR
More stuff than i care to think about, but the one thing that really jumps out is shotguns. I think I have owned at least 2 semi-auto shotguns from every manufacture searching for the perfect shotgun. Now I just stick with Beretta, should have never strayed.

The A400 is the best shotgn out! As long as you can sta away from choke tubes warping

ckleeves

WKR
The A400 is the best shotgn out! As long as you can sta away from choke tubes warping

Did you end up getting a A400 Shaun? I have been real happy with mine so far. I'm running it without cleaning it until I get a malfunction and so far have not had one yet. Probably around 2k rounds through it so far and temps down to -15 and it has yet to let me down.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu frame, badlands sacrifice it was something I talked myself into.knowing I was most likely going not like it. Zen ray ed 2 the coating is terrible, usmc bivy it was my first bivy I got eaten alive in it. Eureka zues1 its not high enough in the foot box resulting in some very nasty leaks. Under amour heat gear, its stinks in a day. Sitka wind breaker , I just wanted it and proved to be totally unnecessary in my pack ..Magellan Gps they suck here in Oregon. New primos reads , it seems like the last f.ew years reads just loose tone fast

crumy

WKR
Badlands 2200. I was new to hunting int he west and didn't know much and went with what guys around me used. Wish I would have spent the money on the kifaru to start with. It is an ok pack, but I quickly out grew it as I ventured farther and longer back into the mountains.

Biggest regrets are items that I bought multiples of before I learned my lesson. Ones that top the list are UnderArmor and cheap knives like Buck and Remmington.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Fair-chase, just wondering what issues you have had with underarmor? I have 3 or 4 of their "loose" wicking t-shirts, a few 1/4 zip winter weight shirts(whatever they call their thicker winter line), and 2 of the original form fitting wicking shirts. I have had some of the shirts for 6 or 7 years now and they are going strong. I bought them all at thrift stores for just a buck or two a piece so no telling how old they were when i bought them. No complaints here.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
Mendle Light Hunting boots from Cabela's made in Viet Nam and worthless sent them back after the toe box started falling apart almost out of the box. X2 on the UA heatgear and its ability to funk within a few hours.