General Discussion n: (Will NM ever have a straight 80/20 or 90/10 Draw)

hunting1

WKR
We already have wolves in the South. Don’t ya mean wolves going North? A female crossed I-40 last month…but most of them don’t go very far. I don’t see wolves becoming a problem on public lands anyway. So far the calf recruitment in the Mexican Wolf units is remaining the the same or even increasing.
Mexican wolves and northern Timber wolves are not the same but yes, either way not good.

Gila

WKR
While it is true that there are elk migration corridors in Northwest NM, Gray wolves typically do not migrate. I seriously doubt we will see any Gray wolves in New Mexico in our lifetimes anyway. The Mexican wolves have been in the Gila for quite a few years now and the Elk population is remaining steady and even slightly increasing in some areas. If the wolf numbers increase to the point that there is a predation issue, their numbers will be limited by hunting or should be. I am not saying that there aren’t any problems with re-introducing wolves though.

I hate the politics in New Mexico but I love the elk hunting! Don’t think it could get much better. New Mexico G&F must be doing something right people from all over trying for tags. Not only is the elk hunting tops in the country you can buy a LO tag if you can’t draw. Win Win! I’ll be putting in for the draw soon and if I don’t draw I’ll be calling LO’s .

The reason people from all over apply for NM tags is because there is zero penalty for "jumping" in late and no penalty if you don't keep applying and skip a few years, you're right where you left off along with everyone else.

It's convenient with no risk at all other than an annual small game license and app fees.

It does cause long tag droughts because of it though.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
I hate the politics in New Mexico but I love the elk hunting! Don’t think it could get much better. New Mexico G&F must be doing something right people from all over trying for tags. Not only is the elk hunting tops in the country you can buy a LO tag if you can’t draw. Win Win! I’ll be putting in for the draw soon and if I don’t draw I’ll be calling LO’s .

I use eplus land all the time for access. I hope they dont do away with it. A tag for access is well worth the trade

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG

Incoming "don't cry because you can't afford LO tags." And every variation of that posts.

As a NM resident. I believe the E plus needs to be revamped entirely.
Outfitter pool should be killed off to weed out the shady outfitters that use it for welfare. Good outfitters will retain clients. NR should get those tags allocated to their pool.

Tax breaks and/or other incentives could be given to landowners to open land to hunting if the elk are a problem.

Even if they raise tag fees for everyone to compensate. Providing more opportunities for average people to hunt should be a priority.

Technically NMGF only gets the license fees. Everything else is being pocketed on those 10k unguided tags.
Number one Stubborn I can afford a LO tag any time I want one.
I'M a DIY hunter and don't want someone to take me by the hand and say ok sir there is the bull you can shoot.
When I Have completed my hunt, I can say I did it my way not an outfitter way. Number 2 from the things I hear I want no part of an outfitter. number 3 I have a few better things to spend my dollars on.

WRO

WKR
While it is true that there are elk migration corridors in Northwest NM, Gray wolves typically do not migrate. I seriously doubt we will see any Gray wolves in New Mexico in our lifetimes anyway. The Mexican wolves have been in the Gila for quite a few years now and the Elk population is remaining steady and even slightly increasing in some areas. If the wolf numbers increase to the point that there is a predation issue, their numbers will be limited by hunting or should be. I am not saying that there aren’t any problems with re-introducing wolves though.

You’ll have them in until next decade from Colorado wandering into nm. They cover a metric shit ton of ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk