General Tikka upgrades and why

Lytro

WKR
Does that increased rigidity improve accuracy in a measurable way? And what happens if it’s not an absolute perfect fit — does the more rigid metal cause/introduce any flex in the less-rigid stock?

What flexibility over the factory bottom metal? I torque all of mine to 65 without issue.
I've upgraded bottom metal on T3X's that I have also replaced the stocks on - to more rigid stocks as well. I wouldn't waste my time with bottom metal on an OEM stock, nor did I ever recommend it.

Lots of people have overtorqued and cracked or punched the action screw through the OEM plastic bottom metal. It's fantastic that you haven't though.

nobody

WKR
Swap out the grip panel for the vertical module from Tikka. Totally worth the $35 for the improved ergos in actual use and field shooting positions.

Disassemble barreled action from bottom metal, degrease all threads, and reassemble. While it's apart, turn that trigger down to your liking.

A Limbsaver pad is nice if you want to upgrade. I have one with and out without personally, but it's up to you. But the Limbsaver is a huge upgrade over the factory pad either way.

Those are the only "upgrades" the Tikkas need out of the box IMO.

my musts are swap to vertical grip, trigger, spring, adjustable kydex comb riser and paint it or gunskin if it's a plain black oem one. the roughtechs look good though I wouldn't touch that stock

I had a vertical grip on my hunting rifle for a while but took it back off, feels much better to carry without it and certainly didn’t make any difference to the way it shot

Limbsaver pad, trigger spring and if you’re into suppressors, chop and thread the barrel. If you want more than that, there's probably a better route.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
So Beretta has recently come out with replacement Tikka magazines. The plastic mags are obsolete. Only metal mags available now. Beretta has also come out with aluminum bottom metal to replace the plastic one. Curious to know if the new long action mags can accept a cartridge longer than 3.37” which is a limitation the plastic mags have.

atmat

WKR
So Beretta has recently come out with replacement Tikka magazines. The plastic mags are obsolete. Only metal mags available now. Beretta has also come out with aluminum bottom metal to replace the plastic one. Curious to know if the new long action mags can accept a cartridge longer than 3.37” which is a limitation the plastic mags have.

Am I crazy or are these replacements just rebranded Mountain Tacticals?

It’s the only part in the website advertised as being proudly made in the US. And the bottom metal description is verbatim in both: “The trigger guard has been rounded to eliminate hard corners that could cause discomfort while shooting”.

Edit: Also they’re still selling the old ones so I doubt they’re obsoleted. And I doubt these will come standard on Tikkas, as they’d have to ship to Finland to be put on the rifle, then distributed again.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Trigger seems stellar. I realize there are great stock options out there. I am following along with the Stockys VG thread. I am cheap and that's probably the direction I will go if need be.

For now I see myself strapping on a Triad stock pad to add a touch of comb height and running the piss out of it all season.

Really just asking why so many seem to change to Mountain Tach bottom metal, bolt shrouds, and generally dick with everything.

I've swapped to a vertical grip on both my T1X and my T3X 7 Mag. Think I even have one more ready to install in my shop.
I changed to Lumley artic DBM for an oversized trigger guard for use with gloves.

My guess is for most people it is because metal is more appealing than plastic.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider

Am I crazy or are these replacements just rebranded Mountain Tacticals?

It’s the only part in the website advertised as being proudly made in the US. And the bottom metal description is verbatim in both: “The trigger guard has been rounded to eliminate hard corners that could cause discomfort while shooting”.

Edit: Also they’re still selling the old ones so I doubt they’re obsoleted. And I doubt these will come standard on Tikkas, as they’d have to ship to Finland to be put on the rifle, then distributed again.
At that price Beretta can keep them.

Gila

WKR
Beretta stopped shipping the old plastic Tikka mags. The bottom metal looks basically the same as the MT. The mags look like they have a different “window” and also have the Beretta logo. I noticed that they also sell a bolt shroud. If it is MT, just thought I would mention that the bolt shroud on the T3x is much heavier and fits the bolt better than the MT shroud does.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
Not arguing, but do you have a source for this?
I tried to buy the Tikka T3x plastic mags and no one has them in stock. I had them back ordered but no one will back order now (that I could find). The only place I have seen them in stock is the Berretta Website and I won’t pay $50. Anyway, I made the switch to MT Gen2 mags.

atmat

WKR
I tried to buy the Tikka T3x plastic mags and no one has them in stock. I had them back ordered but no one will back order now (that I could find). The only place I have seen them in stock is the Berretta Website and I won’t pay $50. Anyway, I made the switch to MT Gen2 mags.
Thanks for the response. I’m not sure being difficult to procure means they dropped them completely. I could be wrong, but I guess we’ll see what Tikkas start shipping with.

Euro optic shows they have every type of tikka mag in stock

Harvey_NW

WKR
Prc works out of the long action magazine and fits flush
Can you fit 3, and feed reliably? I can't stand the protruding mag and tried to hybridize the PRC mag with a WSM bottom and spring and it won't fit 3.