Get better at windcalls

With first focal and second focal plane scopes, in a format suitable for hunting
Thomas, I enjoy and appreciate your videos. Could you post a link to the resource you are using to estimate wind speed in meters per second. The Beaufort scale is commonly used on this side of the pond, but it is not really designed for shooting wind calls.

Kind of weird he’s choosing a sfp with no hashes at all. Kind of a dumb comparison.
Perhaps for some. Im not capable of using hashes except at max magnification, Ive proven this to myself enough that Its just not worth it to keep trying. I also find hashes distracting when they dont “disappear” at low mag, so it makes perfect sense to me to choose a plainer reticle in 2fp scopes and save the hashes for ffp. Others may disagree, but I think it's a pretty common distinction that makes sense for most people.

Kind of weird he’s choosing a sfp with no hashes at all. Kind of a dumb comparison.
The OP is the person in the video ... who has done a lot to improve the long-range shooting of hundreds, if not thousands, of people. Do you have a considered, respectful question for him?

Could you post a link to the resource you are using to estimate wind speed in meters per second.
Sorry, no. I couldn't find any.
I googled "Kahles Rangebook" but only one entry in the UK returned. It is supposedly available via any Kahles dealer (I cannot remember the order no), but feedback indicates most dealers have never heard of it. Since it is a rite-in-rain (???) product (at least the paper feels like it) it's probably overpriced.

I'm hoping they will make a sticker of it and use it for marketing.

The OP is the person in the video ... who has done a lot to improve the long-range shooting of hundreds, if not thousands, of people. Do you have a considered, respectful question for him?
No worries, online vitriol has driven the films to their current state: It causes me to pause and try to understand whatbcaused that engagement and possibly adress that perspective.

True story; a small group of germans was almost abusive on certain forums, that caused one of my major overhauls and today I have a lot of positive interactions from Germany/Austria (basicallt they taught me the kipplauf and upped my mountain skills)

Been watching thlr.no for years. Thanks for all the info. Such a great resource.

Used to watch pathfilmsNZ too, but he seems to have stopped making videos (he was a follower of the thlr.no way)

I think whether or not this is dumb depends on your audience. SFP scopes with duplex and German reticles are still way more common worldwide than BDC, mil or MOA reticles. Keep in mind that THLR’s audience in not just experienced western North American hunters. What he does applies to that, but a lot of his audience is used to shooting 100 and in from a stand on driven game.

My apologies, sheesh.

Yes, just like I said above. If someone is going to intentionally engage in long range shooting using a second focal plane scope doesn’t it reason that they would most likely choose a scope with a reticle designed to help facilitate that? Why say a sfp scope has no business shooting at distance? Why do a comparison using a sfp like he did where he was basically guessing on the hold? Like most of us already know, he could have used an sfp scope and explained that the subtensions are only good at certain magnification?

I think whether or not this is dumb depends on your audience. SFP scopes with duplex and German reticles are still way more common worldwide than BDC, mil or MOA reticles. Keep in mind that THLR’s audience in not just experienced western North American hunters. What he does applies to that, but a lot of his audience is used to shooting 100 and in from a stand on driven game.
Ok, then explain that they can get an sfp with subtensions if they prefer an sfp but note the differences.

Pretty sure it is referring to a single shot break action hunting rifle relying heavily on your first shot execution.
That exactly what the link explains. It tells where and why it started and the type of rifle that came out of the idea. If you tap on “Kipplauf” in my post it’ll take you to a webpage with the explanation.

That exactly what the link explains. It tells where and why it started and the type of rifle that came out of the idea. If you tap on “Kipplauf” in my post it’ll take you to a webpage with the explanation.
Doh, I see now that you posted a link ha.

Why say a sfp scope has no business shooting at distance?
That is not what I said. As I read it, your sentence is a general statement encompassing all SFP scopes. Mine was a specific statement linked to a SFP with no target turrets or reticle subtensions (the worst choice)

Edit: Immediately prior to that, I shot with a more suitable SFP scope andhighlighted the transition with the text "not all sfp scopes are created equal" and then showed the contrast in the result.
Why do a comparison using a sfp like he did where he was basically guessing on the hold?
It was simply to illustrate by contrast the difference between a SFP with no support for longrange and a SFP with a proper turret.
Like most of us already know, he could have used an sfp scope and explained that the subtensions are only good at certain magnification?
I could have done that, but I will not spend money on such a scope - resources are limited enough as it is.
My opinion is that reticle subtensions and SFP is a bad idea. Not enough barrieres against error. Witnessed too many shooter failures because of it to believe otherwise. Sure, you can make it work but it's not a good idea. If I recall correctly, Leupold once made SFP scopes with MRAD reticles and MOA turrets. I must admit I'm curious on the decision process and workshop climate that produced such a scope... The Zeiss Rapid Z system was possibly worse?

Hope that helps, English is a second language for me so sometimes I miss the right words. And obviously I didn't get my point across in the film if it was received other than intended.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Leupold once made SFP scopes with MRAD reticles and MOA turrets.
Yes they did, I still have one. I never used the subtensions at all on that scope. It’s possible I did as a subconscious reference when holding for wind but not intentional.

Last edited:
That is not what I said. As I read it, your sentence is a general statement encompassing all SFP scopes. Mine was a specific statement linked to a SFP with no target turrets or reticle subtensions (the worst choice)

It was simply to illustrate by contrast the difference between a SFP with no support for longrange and a SFP with a proper turret.

I could have done that, but I will not spend money on such a scope - resources are limited enough as it is.
My opinion is that reticle subtensions and SFP is a bad idea. Not enough barrieres against error. Witnessed too many shooter failures because of it to believe otherwise. Sure, you can make it work but it's not a good idea. If I recall correctly, Leupold once made SFP scopes with MRAD reticles and MOA turrets. I must admit I'm curious on the decision process and workshop climate that produced such a scope... The Zeiss Rapid Z system was possibly worse?

Hope that helps, English is a second language for me so sometimes I miss the right words. And obviously I didn't get my point across in the film if it was received other than intended.
Trijicon still makes Accupoint SFP scopes with mil-dot reticles and capped MOA turrets. Agree that is baffling, but MRAD and FFP are still relatively new things for most scope manufacturers and for hunters and shooters.

Back