Getting into Canada with a DUI Conviction

Question: How do they know? Not having a DUI (not judging either and definitely not a saint) does it show on your DL or do the Canadians just have access to the info?
If it's on your record.

Same as if you got pulled over and they checked your record.

OP
Doc Holliday
Update here, I am working with a Canadian firm to get a Temporary Residence Permit for my hunt in 2023, and also applying for Rehabilitation, which is taking 10-12 months. I'm probably getting taken $$ and would have been fine not doing anything, but I'd rather not worry about getting denied entry for a stone sheep hunt that I have spent several years saving up for...I'll be amped up as it is worrying about all kinds of what if's, and this is one I can hopefully scratch off the list. This paperwork is no joke either.....having to list every address or place I have worked since age 18. That's 26 years worth of records I have been spending all afternoon digging through tax returns, etc. Got to go get fingerprints as well.

Haro450

FNG
In November 2020, Oregon voters passed Measure 110, which decriminalized the possession for personal use of small amounts of all drugs, including cocaine, heroin, LSD, methamphetamine, and oxycodone. Oregon is the only U.S. state to have implemented this policy.Sep 7, 2022

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Good God, y'all, just keeps getting better and better with that world class ass clown Trudeau running the country into the ground...
Course, me being a Canuck living in Alaska for the last 25 years, it is possible I have a slight chip on my shoulder...
I feel the same way. Lived in US for 26 years andvjust became a citizen AND voted. Three times. Just kidding!

I have friends that were part of the Trucker Convoy of last year (look up "the shed trucker convoy"), but most of my family back home are multi-boosted Trudeau followers it seems.

Theybfinally dropped the vax requirements to enter Canafa so i visited my folks for the first time in years.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Update here, I am working with a Canadian firm to get a Temporary Residence Permit for my hunt in 2023, and also applying for Rehabilitation, which is taking 10-12 months. I'm probably getting taken $$ and would have been fine not doing anything, but I'd rather not worry about getting denied entry for a stone sheep hunt that I have spent several years saving up for...I'll be amped up as it is worrying about all kinds of what if's, and this is one I can hopefully scratch off the list. This paperwork is no joke either.....having to list every address or place I have worked since age 18. That's 26 years worth of records I have been spending all afternoon digging through tax returns, etc. Got to go get fingerprints as well.

I looked into both of these because I’d like to get up to Newfoundland at some point for moose. Got 3 duis. The woman I talked to said I qualified for the TRP but I was gonna have to spend a few grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
Little update here. I am waiting on my TRP and Rehabilitation status.

Just received an update email saying I'm going to have to provide character references, as well as statements about details leading up to my arrest, why I consider myself rehabilitated, and why I need to come to Canada.

I got the DUI when I was 21 years old (was just a traffic stop, no one was hurt) and haven't gotten into any trouble since. I am now a 45 yr old, have had a fairly solid career in corporate america (hint to canada: big american corporations don't hire career criminals). Also I am licensed through FINRA.

I'm thinking these services are probably more appropriate for someone who had a recent arrest ( in the last few years), and that when I called in, the company just saw dollar signs, and rather than tell me I didn't need it, lied to me and said I did to make the sale.

Just my own impression at this point. I think my conservative/cautious nature got the best of me here.....cost me $2,800 USD.

Another in a growing list of reasons to avoid Canda

Broomd

WKR
So...we extended a vacation invite to a friend (American) who had a DUI in '05 (I think) but it wasn't later than that, he said a year later the charge was dismissed. Can he still travel to Ontario to fish with us?
Our family has been traveling to Ontario for 25 years and we've never had an issue with this or even been asked. Then again we have clean records.
Is this a new policy? Should I tell him to call the border?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sort of crazy how many folks get mad when the USA dosent uphold laws, then they cry when the laws of another country don’t suit them.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
It is not a new policy, more prevalent discussion in the fishing world.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
And then there is always the judge mental person with their comments... sorry we can’t all be holier than thou as you are sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be fair, getting DUIs (especially multiple ones) is something that people should be judged harshly for as it risks the lives of innocent people. Nobody should care if you want to stay home and blast your liver, that’s your right. Driving drunk directly puts others at risk which nobody should have the right to do.

In that regard the whole calling people judge mental for taking a harsh stance on drunk drivers just dosent hold water.

Last edited: