Getting into guiding

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I’m posting here to see if anyone has any information/tips/pointers, really anything for someone looking to get into guiding. Doing this has been on my mind for a couple years now. I just got back from the Selway-Bitterroot and ended up running into a guy probably around my age that is a guide in Idaho. I chatted with him for a bit on guiding and something he said that stuck with me was that if I’m interested in it, I should try it because I won’t know if I like it until I do. I spent 4 years in the infantry, so I’m fairly used to living outside for extended periods. Ideally I’d like to guide in Alaska, I lived up there for a year and absolutely love that place!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Outfitters are always looking for good guys, so start calling up oufitters in Ak and inquire about working. Be advised though, you'll spend a few seasons as a packer to start though...and that means doing all of the grunt work and learning the business while you work on your guide qualifications. Eventually if you do a good job, you can get your guide license and start guiding for an outfitter. After many years of working your ass off and saving every penny you could buy your own outfitting business.

Guiding is an often time thankless, yet very rewarding occupation. If you're interested in making it a career, as the previous poster said, I would look into getting on with an outfit in Alaska. It seems that that good outfits are always looking for good guides, so if you do your job well, there is always work to be had.

That said, one thing I would advise, be careful with who you work for. There are many reputable outfitters in Alaska, but there are just as many shady, fly by night operations. A guides reputation often gets tied to the outfit they work for, good, bad, or indifferent. Do your due diligence and completely vet and research an outfit before you sign on with them. Many of these shady guides talk a good game, promise the world and then when the rubber meets the road, they screw you, clients, and anybody else they can, over.

I've been a lifelong resident of Alaska and a guide for the past 8 or so years. I'd be happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

Josh

OP
NomadHunter603

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
Guiding is an often time thankless, yet very rewarding occupation. If you're interested in making it a career, as the previous poster said, I would look into getting on with an outfit in Alaska. It seems that that good outfits are always looking for good guides, so if you do your job well, there is always work to be had.

That said, one thing I would advise, be careful with who you work for. There are many reputable outfitters in Alaska, but there are just as many shady, fly by night operations. A guides reputation often gets tied to the outfit they work for, good, bad, or indifferent. Do your due diligence and completely vet and research an outfit before you sign on with them. Many of these shady guides talk a good game, promise the world and then when the rubber meets the road, they screw you, clients, and anybody else they can, over.

I've been a lifelong resident of Alaska and a guide for the past 8 or so years. I'd be happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

Josh

Thanks for the input and help Josh! I actually have encountered that a bit. I wasn’t sure if it was just me being wary, but now that you say that I suspect it wasn’t. I was speaking with an outfit back in March or April. He then kind of just ghosted me and I never heard back from him and he wouldn’t respond to anything. From my understanding COVID impacted the spring bear season, so maybe that was why, but I think giving a response would have been a bit more professional lol. Did you go to a guide school? I’ve looked into those a bit, but they don’t really seem worth it to me for Alaska. All of the ones I’ve seen are in western states, and the guide I spoke to last week said he went to one but it was mostly just how to work with and handle horses/mules etc.

Coldtrail

WKR
I've worked with an outfitter friend on and off for lion, bear and other predator hunts. I met some great people that I was happy to give 110% to work for them to achieve a successful hunt, and others that don't realize how close they came to a good old fashioned a$$ kicking and watching them harvest a trophy they didn't deserve was tough. Depending on your hunt, many times you end up with the hunter that feels they are the boss because they are paying and will remind you of that fact the entire trip, for me it was tough to bottle things up for a week while you essentially live with these people. The flip side was that I have made lifelong friends with many hunters I helped as well. Toward the end I made it clear that I'd work as hard as needed to get the job done, but I'm not dealing with the hunter, then things were pretty fun. We did hound hunts, if the boss pulled me aside before packing up the mountain after the dogs and whispered "make sure this guy pukes by the end of the day" it gave me a good indication how things were going at camp Lol. I'm guessing every guide has had those hunters that they wish would be in someone else's camp, my boss always said their money was the same color as anyone elses, but for me ethically I had a tough time with some being able to get glory for a trophy harvest knowing they were total jack wagons.

I had fun most of the time, but couldn't imagine trying to make a living at it. These days my guiding/outfitting is just a hobby through a non profit and only for kids and first time hunters, quite honestly it's the most fun I ever had.

WCB

WKR
I guided out west and you are correct on guide schools from my estimate. I did not go to one but a couple guys I know did and if you already hunt they are pretty much a packer school. Seems one guys school did a good job on teaching how to properly skin, flesh, and generally care for capes/hides. But, that to me is not worth a few thousand bucks.

Just realize if you are guiding you aint hunting. So realistically if you like hunting for yourself don't be a guide or guide when seasons don't overlap for your personal hunts.

There maybe be some outfitters on here but no harm in calling a few reputable ones and talk to them about what they look for or their requirements. I got my guide job that way and had a great time every year.

kickemall

WKR
I've worked with an outfitter friend on and off for lion, bear and other predator hunts. I met some great people that I was happy to give 110% to work for them to achieve a successful hunt, and others that don't realize how close they came to a good old fashioned a$$ kicking and watching them harvest a trophy they didn't deserve was tough. Depending on your hunt, many times you end up with the hunter that feels they are the boss because they are paying and will remind you of that fact the entire trip, for me it was tough to bottle things up for a week while you essentially live with these people. The flip side was that I have made lifelong friends with many hunters I helped as well. Toward the end I made it clear that I'd work as hard as needed to get the job done, but I'm not dealing with the hunter, then things were pretty fun. We did hound hunts, if the boss pulled me aside before packing up the mountain after the dogs and whispered "make sure this guy pukes by the end of the day" it gave me a good indication how things were going at camp Lol. I'm guessing every guide has had those hunters that they wish would be in someone else's camp, my boss always said their money was the same color as anyone elses, but for me ethically I had a tough time with some being able to get glory for a trophy harvest knowing they were total jack wagons.

I had fun most of the time, but couldn't imagine trying to make a living at it. These days my guiding/outfitting is just a hobby through a non profit and only for kids and first time hunters, quite honestly it's the most fun I ever had.
I think this is spot on from my experience. You definitely need the right personality and frame of mind or you'll hate it. Sometimes taking something you love then twist and bend it to make money takes the joy out of it. Only one way to find out. Good Luck!

Coldtrail

WKR
I have to agree with kickemall, there is huge stress in guiding, weather, equipment, limitations of your hunter, etc that can zap the fun fast

I don't recall much sitting around the fire, even on the best days it's hard work but bad conditions with a high maintenance hunter..ugh.

Deadfall

WKR
Thanks for the input and help Josh! I actually have encountered that a bit. I wasn’t sure if it was just me being wary, but now that you say that I suspect it wasn’t. I was speaking with an outfit back in March or April. He then kind of just ghosted me and I never heard back from him and he wouldn’t respond to anything. From my understanding COVID impacted the spring bear season, so maybe that was why, but I think giving a response would have been a bit more professional lol. Did you go to a guide school? I’ve looked into those a bit, but they don’t really seem worth it to me for Alaska. All of the ones I’ve seen are in western states, and the guide I spoke to last week said he went to one but it was mostly just how to work with and handle horses/mules etc.

Guideschools are a good way to throw away good money. Go hire on somewhere and learn on fly.

As many have pointed out, guiding is not always glamourous. While I love my job, and 99% percent of my clients have been great, there is always the 1%. That 1% can quickly take the joy out of guiding.

With that said, it isn't a great way to make money, but if money isn't your main motivation it is a very rewarding career. The feeling I get from helping someone accomplish a life long dream is something I will always cherish.

OP
NomadHunter603

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I should add I work for family doing automotive. I’m not sure it’s something I want to do forever, but what I’m getting at is I have something to fall back on, I have work I could do in the off seasons that would greatly supplement income. I think guiding could break that work up and give me a break from being around family. I really appreciate everyone’s input and I think most of you confirmed my thoughts on it and what I’ve gathered from the bit of information I can find on guiding. It’s definitely not hunting for yourself, but I think it’s all your mindset on it. Like one of the guides I talked to said you get little to no time to hunt for yourself and little to no meat. But if you look at them as also kind of your hunts with the exception of pulling the trigger, it’s not so bad.