Hunting guide as a career ?

WCB

WKR
I guided and at the time didn't realize guys could actually do it as a "living". They make pretty damn good money but they are gone all the time. Think starting in AK, down to MT/WY, then to say NM/AZ. Then come spring either back up to AK or head over seas to Africa, NZ or both. I'd say while you are young do it for a couple years just for the experience. In the summer either be a fishing guide (has to be way worse than being a hunting guide) or take up a trade.

As others have said you get very little to no time to hunt for yourself. Just liking/loving to hunt isn't going to cut it. You have to be fine with people being shitty shots, hunters, and outdoorsman. And in general be ok with some of them just being shitty human beings. Do it with a smile and act like you give a damn if those clients are successful. However, There are a good number of great people I met and some of my favorite memories were with clients (most the time in shitty situations).

But I have a hard time wrapping my head around you not having any idea of what you are going to do and getting married. Just doesn't compute. Also, what does your Fiance do? What are her thoughts/goals? Can she find work out west? or are you banking on her staying back east?

But I have a hard time wrapping my head around you not having any idea of what you are going to do and getting married. Just doesn't compute. Also, what does your Fiance do? What are her thoughts/goals? Can she find work out west? or are you banking on her staying back east?

This was my first thought. Heck of a commitment to make before one has a clue what life has in store.

MThuntr

WKR
Not hunting and I don't guide but I own a boat that I'm constantly babysitting friends on....gotta stop so they can tie up a fly they lost in 30 seconds...gotta stop because they snagged the bottom...gotta stop to pee...miss a hit because they were messing with their reel...gotta stop because they tangled....gotta stop because they caught boat...gotta stop to pee again...gotta stop because I need a beer. I'm exhausted when we're done and my rod didn't get used because they don't know how to row.

Fly guide friends either love their client or hate them. Most are pretty burned out by the end of the season because they didn't get in any fishing for themselves. Most work everyday from about April to mid September and since they don't own the company (local rivers are a permitted days based system that is expensive to get in) they don't make a lot of money without offseason gigs.

One hunting guide friend works in Alaska for the season. He loves it because the type of client is usually pretty serious and understands "the suck". They are often wealthy so tips are great. His only gripe is the average hunter has no business away from home because they're either inept, out of shape, or both. Lucky for him when he comes back to Montana he gets hunting season to himself before going south for desert animals.

Lytro

WKR
If you're unsure of what you want to do in life, I can't recommend a 4-year stint in the military enough.
This is what I did. Although I was dumb enough to enlist for 6, and then stay in, I could've gotten out at 4 and been highly competitive for hiring opportunities within the same career field as a civilian. Just make sure your wife is 100% on board with it if you do go that route. There's a reason the military divorce rate is about 60% or something absurd.

I started out with a 2 year assignment overseas, but the last 11 have been spent in New Mexico, Colorado, and South Dakota. I just found out I'll be spending the next 3 in Montana. Being able to move around the west with immediate resident hunting privileges has been pretty awesome. The pay isn't too bad either once you get past the first handful of ranks.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to guide I would recommend finding a job that is flexible, transferable, or seasonal. Make enough money so you are not reliant on guiding. Makes it way more enjoyable. Also to make guiding a career you’re likely going to be doing hunts you don’t want to do and you will start to hate it.

Reactions: WCB

mntnguide

WKR
I guided for 10 years, all wilderness horseback type stuff. I dont regret a single day about it, but I did not make shit for money. Snowmobile guide in winter, pack trips in summer, hunts in fall. Rarely a day off, never could have even considered buying a home. Finally got tired of jumping around and always living paycheck to paycheck. Went to trade school, became a Journeyman lineman, make more money than I ever thought I would in my life now, and hunt for myself as much as I dang well please. Spent 30 days in the backcountry with my horses this fall alone.

If you want to try it out, dont expect much for pay. But its a good time living in the mountains. But as stated, tough clients can really wear down the enjoyment of it. I thankfully only have a few through all those years that stick out to me, but nonetheless, they can make a great time miserable. Also, unless your wife plans to work with you, you're gonna see her less than you would in the coast guard if you truly try to make a living doing it. If you want to give it a go via the school route as posted earlier, the only one of those you should consider is Cody and LeRee at Royal Tine. Great people and been teaching for well over 20 years, Swan mountain is a joke owned by a rich guy from vegas who wanted to play cowboy.

Idaboy

WKR
I’m 21 years old and trying to figure out what I want to do in life, I’m looking into the coast guard but I’m a little bit apprehensive about enlisting with being married soon and potentially being underway on a ship/cutter for over half of the year… but my dream is to guide hunts/ fishing trips… I travel out to Wyoming, sd, and out west in general every year just to hike, explore and hunt predators… I live on the east coast and we have some good deer hunting but it’s not the same world over here. Those of you that guide, how did you get into it? I’m a young guy and I’m getting married soon so I need to get things moving one way or another
No offense, we have all been there in finding our path, but you are describing two very distinct and somewhat opposite lifestyles...I can't comment on military directly but have close friends and family serve, but I never associate military with "autonomy"...I may be ways off... Yes, as a guide you have a boss and clients but alot more autonomy about how you hunt, where you fish, method of take....days start and end when you want them to....,anyways, follow your heart and gut, and have reasonable expectations.....But it seems that regardless of pay/benefit etc, people who are following their passion or doing what they love, are much more resilient in their careers...but as others have stated, distill down the worst case and how bad that will bother you.

Some of the best advice I got was was from a role model who said if you can live with the bad, then go for it. But even if that bad is only 5% of the time, but it eats at you and drives you nuts, then rethink your choice.

Poser

WKR
Let me just go ahead and point out the obvious.

Getting married at 21 years old will be the single biggest mistake you will ever make in your life. Now shut up, break up and join the Coast Guard tomorrow before one of use has to smack some sense into you.

OP
Joshuajosh
Make sure your new soon-to-be-spouse has an occupation that provides insurance (dental, health, etc) because you won't be able to provide that as a guide.

Also, a life insurance policy could be costly as well if guiding in the outdoors is considered a semi-high risk occupation.

If you're thinking a militant type of occupation instead, join a local Sheriff's department where you want to live, do 25 yrs and call it...
I’ve thought very seriously about this as well, I would enjoy law enforcement, that’s why I originally wanted to go coast guard

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the Alaska Troopers site? They have wildlife trooper roles and they have a strong starting payscale. And you get to live in Alaska and working with wildlife you will know where the honey holes for hunting are.

I am not sure what guides get paid - but making something you love your job is often a way to burnout.

OP
Joshuajosh

Getting married at 21 years old will be the single biggest mistake you will ever make in your life. Now shut up, break up and join the Coast Guard tomorrow before one of use has to smack some sense into you.
Shit well it’s been 5 years, time was coming sooner or later

OP
Joshuajosh
I guided and at the time didn't realize guys could actually do it as a "living". They make pretty damn good money but they are gone all the time. Think starting in AK, down to MT/WY, then to say NM/AZ. Then come spring either back up to AK or head over seas to Africa, NZ or both. I'd say while you are young do it for a couple years just for the experience. In the summer either be a fishing guide (has to be way worse than being a hunting guide) or take up a trade.

As others have said you get very little to no time to hunt for yourself. Just liking/loving to hunt isn't going to cut it. You have to be fine with people being shitty shots, hunters, and outdoorsman. And in general be ok with some of them just being shitty human beings. Do it with a smile and act like you give a damn if those clients are successful. However, There are a good number of great people I met and some of my favorite memories were with clients (most the time in shitty situations).

She is finishing school up in may and is certified to teach in a couple states, she has been dabbling with the online teaching thing as well

woods89

WKR

I got married at 21 and it was one of the best decisions I ever made......

TaperPin

WKR
Guess what the old guys told me when I was your age getting married and obsessed with hunting - they said look at something that can be a career, and you’ll have plenty of time and money for toys and hunting.

I know a half dozen linemen and none of them make under $150k with all the overtime and benefits - it’s a lot of work.

Commercial electricians make good money - it’s a lot of work.

Pipe fitters make good money - it’s a lot of work.

Welders can make good money - it’s a lot of work.

I won’t recommend any of the trades if it’s not union and they can’t keep their guys busy.

Military is a great move - it will suck at times, but make the most of it and get as much training out of it as you can.

That’s the good news.

The bad news is it’s not easy being 20 - whoever is telling young guys to follow their dreams because happiness is dependent on doing a hobby you love, even if it’s for peanuts, is full of crap. I hope you have some hustle - find a way to move out west and get a career - it will be a lot of work, but it all takes a lot of effort.

Life gets harder the longer you avoid a career. It’s a lot of work being broke, so don’t think the easy path is actually easy - no matter what your path, it will be nonstop work so choose a direction with a future. That direction won’t come out of the help wanted classified section or postings at the unemployment office.

The really bad news is you need to get a productive life figured out, or life will come at you quick. Being young and in love lasts for about 5 years and then every person in a relationship begins to notice more what is happening in their friends lives - being emotionally and financially stable looks better all the time if someone doesn‘t have that. By year 7 if all you want to do is be gone and spend money on hunting, she might get tired of driving old cars and find a better deal somewhere else. Kids won’t change how long a relationship lasts. People change a lot in their 20’s - neither of you will be the same as you are now. Staying happily married is a lot of work, being broke makes it harder, being gone makes it harder.

That’s exactly what I needed to hear at your age.

I also know most 20 year olds could care less what old guys tell ‘em.

40 years from now you’ll be able to respond to a young guy just about to get married who loves to hunt and tell him what you learned.

If I was in your shoes I would definitely go coast guard, sheriff, or fire department. I was all set to join the Army when I was 18 but went a different path as you can tell by my handle. lol trades are hard, hard work but some of them pay extremely well. Being a butcher doesn’t really pay well unless you own your plant and it’s USDA or at least State inspected. This will allow you to make and sell specialty products which is a lot easier to do and makes way more profit.