Glacier National Park in May

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning a road trip home with my daughter from Bozeman around May 12 this year and was thinking of trying to check out Glacier. Is that too early to make it worth going, or is the park even open then? I looked online and it shows reservations required beginning May24, but not sure if that is just related to Memorial Day or not. We always try to go see something new on trips, so this was appealing because I thought maybe we could avoid some of the crowds. Thanks for any info.

I haven’t looked at the snow pack in that area but I know several years ago I was in that area in first week of June and basically the only thing that was open the visitor center. Most of the park was still under significant amounts of snow.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
That is pretty early for Glacier unless you enjoy snow shoes and mixed snow/ice hiking. Many of the higher elevation trails, lakes and views that Glacier is known for will not be accessible yet. Lower elevation trails should be accessible and fewer people in the park.

Your trip back to Bozeman in August (I assume your daughter is at MSU) would be a better time to see Glacier. Make reservations now, it fills up quickly.

Consider stopping by Lewis and Clark Caverns in your way home. It is only a 1/2 day stop but very cool.

MT_Archer

FNG
Early June is the time to hit Glacier. My wife and I visited early June two years ago and if you time it right, the Road to the Sun will only be open to bicycles while still closed to cars.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting this; I am headed to Bozeman for graduation at the same time and was planning to hit Glacier. Guess I need to rethink my plans and would appreciate suggestions for a 3 day rented RV trip out of Bozeman.