Glasses

Pgohil

WKR
Started wearing glasses just after last bow season. I'm 20/30 without correction. Not horrible but enough to make a difference at distance.

Can't see worth a damn through my peep. Pins are blurry and the peep is fuzzy... Then I'm shooting about 6" left at 50
Remove the glasses and pins/peep are clear. Arrows back to center.

What gives???
Any glasses wearers experience this?

I went through this many years ago. Tried verifiers and clarifiers, which did not work for me. They may work for you. After several months, I just had to find frames that fit me just right for when I shoot my bow. I'm working on getting PRK so I don't have to struggle with this issue any longer.

BTW, contacts may be an option as well.
Good luck.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I should have mentioned that I grew up with glasses. Wore contacts for about 15 years. Had LASIK in 2005 And loved it. But now almost 20 years later I need a little help.
My doctor says that contacts are an iffy option right now. I did a lot of damage to my eyes when I wore contacts before because I never took my contacts out. Ended up starving my eyeballs of oxygen and scarring them pretty nadly. And where my eyes have already been lasered it's a concern.

timstl

FNG
I wear these prescription safety glasses. My normal frames tend to get in the way. The wraparound style helps avoid that problem.

Not sure if they would help your issue or not. What you’re describing sounds like what I experience on the computer- I often have to take my glasses off to see better close up. But for whatever reason that hasn’t been an issue with pins for me.

My local archery shop did mention they make peeps with lenses in them, but they didn’t have any so I didn’t get much info on those. There’s also the ARD sight system which is marketed to people who have difficulty with pins.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I have worn both glasses and contacts in the last 5 years while shooting. I'm near sighted as all get out, and so this may not be applicable for you, but I found that larger lenses/frames make it infinitely better to shoot with glasses. Depending on your eyes and the focal point of your lens, you may try anchoring with the string on the side of your nose vs the tip. For me that seemed to help a ton. Randy Newberg did a podcast a while back with an optometrist (who also hunts/shoots) that had some good info.
https://podtail.com/podcast/hunt-ta...-144-eyes-of-a-hunter-with-doctor-tom-sather/

rclouse79

WKR
I was having a problem with my rimless glasses. I figured out when I was looking through the peep the bridge on the frame would be right next to my peep and sometimes it would get in the way. I adjusted the glasses so they fit further down on my nose and problem solved for now.

I dealt with glasses forever while shooting. Had to have my string on the side of my nose or the frame got in the way. Being as farsighted as I am, I am actually able to shoot without them fairly well. The pin naturally blurs and I can see the target fine, so I just started shooting without them. Depending on your prescription, you may try that.

Fatcamp

WKR
I wear these prescription safety glasses. My normal frames tend to get in the way. The wraparound style helps avoid that problem.

Not sure if they would help your issue or not. What you’re describing sounds like what I experience on the computer- I often have to take my glasses off to see better close up. But for whatever reason that hasn’t been an issue with pins for me.

My local archery shop did mention they make peeps with lenses in them, but they didn’t have any so I didn’t get much info on those. There’s also the ARD sight system which is marketed to people who have difficulty with pins.

I use similar. My regular glasses are horrible.

I’ve shot with glasses the last 4-5 years. Like the video, I specifically get glasses that sit really close to my nose so there isn’t an issue.
Something that did happen last year on an antelope hunt though I’ve never heard mentioned. If you are in a hot environment and sweating/covering country, the corner of the lenses closest to your nose will fog up/get dirty/sweaty. You won’t notice it until you draw on an animal and go to look through your peep to find you cannot see. There is no easy way to strip glasses while on your knees at full draw. Since then, I suffer contacts on hunts.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Appreciate everybody's reply. I think I'm going to end up just shooting without my glasses and when I get into a situation where I shot might be coming near I'll just have to take them off.

Good luck this fall to all those with and without glasses!!