Glassing for Mule deer

PaCR

FNG
What’s your thoughts on just bringing Binos 10x50’s no spotting scope? First rifle season?!

Big difference between hand holding bargin price 10x50s and alpha glass 10x50 off a tripod.
Either way put those binos on a tripod.

nphunter

WKR
I wouldn't hunt mule deer without a spotter unless your still hunting heavy timber. It really depends on where you are hunting. When looking for bucks I will glass and if I think there are bucks in the area I will only move a few feet and set up and glass again. I mostly hunt canyon/sage country for deer but would do the same thing in the high country. Glass, Glass, and Glass, check shaded pockets, look for movement, etc. hard to do with binos, not impossible but you will miss a lot without a spotter. IMO it would be a huge mistake deer hunting to only glass an area with binos and then move into it, you will be busting out deer you never even knew were there.

If you are in heavy timber still hunting you won't need a spotter, just move a few feet, glass, then move again and repeat. It also depends on what your expectations of the outcome are if you're just wanting to shoot the first buck you see then covering country until you bump deer and then stalking in on them can be very effective on smaller bucks because a lot of times they will bound off then turn back and look. This tactic rarely works on older deer, big bucks will run and never look back until they are in the next drainage.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have no doubt lots of guys get it done that way. Personally I pull everything out 15’s and 95mm. I think that’s one of the toughest seasons to locate deer.
My.kinda guy rt there lol you can't see what you can't see I even use Kowa big eyes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Spotter for sure if there’s any way. Judging and glassing over 2 miles is valuable unless it’s all heavy timber, especially for mule deer.

Lawnboi

WKR
If I’m hunting mulies I bring a spotter.

Might not be needed some of the time depending on how you hunt but other times all you see is white ass, especially if all underbrush is brown

I prefer a spotter but you can definitely get by with binos. If it looks big from a mile or so away, hike closer and relocate with your binos.

In the same boat. I’m thinking of doing either 12s or 15s and leaving the spotter. In my experience the spotter is there for photos. Or, like others stated to determine size.

fatrascal

WKR
I don't hunt unless I have a spotter. Too many times I've found deer that the bino's cannot see. Too many times I've spotted deer with bino's then look with the spotter and decide I do not want to pursue that group of bucks. If you see something with the bino's but have no spotter then you have to get closer which causes more walking and more times than not you find out its a small buck that your not interested in. Like the old saying goes, let your eyes do the walking. :oops:

Wassid82

WKR
I started packing a spotting scope on every trip. Yes it’s more weight but saves miles of tread on your boots and allows me to hunt harder longer. Out west it’s invaluable desert, high alpine, intermittent timber. I never leave home with out it.

dtrkyman

WKR
I run 10x42s on a tripod...I only archery hunt and it’s not crazy open country where I’ve hunted so no need for me to run spotters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshh

FNG
Anyone’s thoughts on 18’s instead of a spotter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lytro

WKR
if you're just looking for bucks then no, but if you are trying to determine a bucks size then yes

I second this thought. If you're just out to shoot anything with a fork horn though, leave the spotter at home. I personally like to scan with 10x42's until I locate something, and then take a closer look through the spotter.

I was planning on just bringing my 10x50s but my buddy offered to let me borrow his swaro spotter. I'm tempted but I'm also not super concerned with size... I'm sure I'd be fine with the 10x

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk