Glassing Tripod for Bino's - Money no object - priorities in order: durability, lightweight, compact

Wapiti151

WKR
Just went through a very similar exercise, getting my one and done tripod after going through just about all of the lower cost brands out there. All have worked, and all have been good to me...but wanted something I could use and not have to think about upgrading for years to come.

I ended up going with the Outdoorsman's gen 2 (tall) tripod and their Panhead. 3 lbs 15oz total for this set up with their aluminum version, their carbon version would be about 11 oz less and if you did standard or compact...even less than that. Went aluminum for the proven durability, all made in the US and all of their products are proven to last decades. Killer customer service and almost entirely user serviceable is a huge plus for me.

I'd at least give them a hard look. Their carbon innegra material sounds interesting, just couldn't justify the cost personally when I know how durable and stable their aluminum tripods are and 11 oz doesn't really make any difference to me, I'd rather cut weight somewhere else. Given that durability is your first priority, I don't think their is a tripod out there that has proven to be even remotely as durable as Outdoorsman's.

Just for binos? Even if money is not a consideration you could lighten up a decent bit for a bino tripod. It’ll change if you’re throwing a large obj spotter on there from time to time though.

OP
U

USMC22

WKR
Just for binos? Even if money is not a consideration you could lighten up a decent bit for a bino tripod. It’ll change if you’re throwing a large obj spotter on there from time to time though.
I never say never. It will likely hold a spotter from time to time along with a tac table for matches, not rifle but certainly range finder, Bino's and kestrel station

BBob

WKR
I ended up going with the Outdoorsman's gen 2 (tall) tripod and their Panhead. 3 lbs 15oz total for this set up with their aluminum version, their carbon version would be about 11 oz less and if you did standard or compact...even less than that. Went aluminum for the proven durability, all made in the US and all of their products are proven to last decades. Killer customer service and almost entirely user serviceable is a huge plus for me.
^^^ Agreed :) Outdoorsmans offers a great compromise between weight and stability. I have an original Gen1 green OD tripod with an OD panhead. I've tried lighter but don't like less stability than what the OD offers. For heavier optics I have the RRS Ascend compact you have listed with an OD Fluid head. IMO those two tripods are for different purposes. For just binoculars and a spotter I'll use the OD, for big heavy optics like BTX and Twins I'll use the Ascend.

I glass a lot. It is my preferred method of hunting. I rarely hike blindly through the woods. I hike to a glassing point and glass. My tripod of choice at this point in my life is the RRS TVC-34L/TFC-34L as I have both. Heavy but I deal with it.

I can tell you that I HATE when an ARCA clamp has a thumb knob versus a lever. I had two Tricer LP heads and sold them both due to this fact. I will gladly take the weight penalty for a lever. When I want my optic to go on and off I WANT it to go on and off fast. But I use a spotter in my glassing.

Now that Outdoorsmans has made ARCA clamps on the GEN 2 heads I will likely give them a try. Might also pick up an RRS 22i compact

MTN HNTR SS tripod and fluid head is impressive so far. Would be curious about the mtn hntr tripod with tricer head.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just under 4 lbs is heavy to me for bino only tripod; Aziak is 20 oz, small ball head 3-5 oz, small pan head 4-6 oz. Well under two pounds.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I still haven’t found anything I like as much as my gitzo gto531 with the outdoorsman micro pan head on top. It’s discontinued now but I believe they make essentially the same thing now but with 5 sections so it should be even more compact

Kurts86

WKR
If I’m only glassing with binoculars there is no reason to pack a tripod weighing over 2 lbs and most of those tripods cost less than $500 with a lightweight head.

If spotting scopes or rifles are in the mix the minimum weight quickly doubles to 3.5-4.5 lbs and cost goes up as well.

I really haven’t seen durability factor into tripods. I don’t think outdoorsman’s durability justifies the weight and cost anymore. You can get lighter and cheaper tripods all over the place and why someone would buy the outdoorsman’s carbon tripod over Really Right Stuff I have no idea. Outdoorsman’s is barely clinging onto relevance by just now acknowledging ARCA has won the format war and aluminum tripods are not the future for hunting or shooting.

Really right stuff is the buy once cry alpha brand here by a long shot. You just have to wade through their massive catalog of niche tripods for the one that applies to you.

OP
U

USMC22

WKR
Ordered the really right stuff scout pt with the sc-arc lock jury is still out on the tripod