Glock 10mm questions

Looking at a bear defense pistol and staying within the glock platform based on a number of years of familiarity.

1 - 20 or 29?
2 - Carry a spare mag and how / where?
3 - What barrel?
4 - Other mods?
5 - Preferred ammo for bear and practice.

I am inclined toward a 20, no spare mag, with a kkm barrel, 22# spring, night sites, maybe a light and Underwood or buffalo bore and something cheaper for practice. Have shot both 20 and 29 a little but not enough to say which I like and could shoot better.

Thanks - DJ

I haven't dug very deep into them. I have a g40 on order. I have a g29 SF. Probably should just have a g20. I'm not a fan of the 29 sf. Ordered it and the grip doesn't fit my hand very well. But I can still shoot it decent for what it is. I had ordered it thinking small frame meant lighter, not smaller grip and everything. I carried it last year some and do like the weight. My girlfriend likes the way it fits her hand so it's kinda becoming her's and I might borrow it back if I want to for a hunt.

I don't carry a spare mag. Infact I only carried I think 8 rounds. Just to keep weight down. I tried the extended mag release. Didn't like it. So it's completely factory. Except for the mag grip extensions. Definitely recommend those.

Only carrying in black bear country. I would re-evaluate if around grizzly.

Fullfan

WKR
I have the g20 and only carry one mag with 180gn hard casts. More than the weapon of choice, you have to be able to hit what you are shooting at. I was a State Trooper for 25 years and a fire arms instructor for 16 years. Shooting at a paper target is an easy task. Shooting under pressure in another story. Being able to draw weak handed and shoot accurate is a task many never think about. Try it sometime and see how difficult it can be, but in a situation where it could save your life it can be useful.

What ever you carry, shoot it and shoot it often, run through jam clearing drills, and shooting with a flash light when it is dark. Good luck and keep it simple with the mods and rounds you choose.

cowboy300

WKR
G20, no extra loaded mag, keep everything factory for reliability and XS big dots. My G20 with factory barrel didnt like heavy cast loads BUT it was more reliable feeding (never had a jam) than the tighter aftermarket chambered barrel I used for handloaded cast loads.

I would highly recommend the DoubleTap 200 WFNGC because that is THE best factory ammo available bullet design. Do some research on what is important In a hardcast bullet and this one will separate itself. It’s designed based on the Beartooth and used to be loaded with that bullet originally. As a little cheaper practice option look into 406 Ammunition 200 gr hardcast. The bullet has a slightly smaller meplat but chronos about 10 fps under the doubletap from my G20. DT won’t hit box flap velocity but it’s accurate and the best bullet. I’ll take that over Underwood’s extra velocity. I get 1170 fps from my G20. I would also recommend sticking with a stock barrel based on another members recent experience. I’ve never had feeding problems with mine. I took a picture of all the different bullet options I have for that thread and never got It posted. I’ll see if I can remember when I’m on the computer. I don’t carry a spare mag as I feel 15 shots should end any scenario. By the time you should be shooting when you have determined that is necessary I don’t know if anyone can get off 15 shots even relatively accurate.

I have a stock Glock 20 with night sites, use a diamond d leather holster when in Alaska for it and Love it.

Here is a long thread McSeal2 has post on his Glock 20 he bought this spring.

Glock 20 modifications for backcountry carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
G20, no extra loaded mag, keep everything factory for reliability and XS big dots. My G20 with factory barrel didnt like heavy cast loads BUT it was more reliable feeding (never had a jam) than the tighter aftermarket chambered barrel I used for handloaded cast loads.

Same same with factory reliability, I carry one mag, my ammo is factory "good" stuff.. Depends on your situation, but mine was: don't want to test, test, re-test with custom barrels and ammo loaded to the limit. Just don't have the time, wish I did. The time I do have I use practicing with "factory" stuff. I want confidence that everything's going to function well in the unlikely event that something happens.

When time's not a factor I look forward to pimping out my g20, then making sure it's very reliable.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I carry a g20 almost daily, I use a Kim barrel and the stock spring. I never saw a reason to bother with a special spring because most of the ammo that gets shot out of the gun is standard practice stuff, no reason to buy a spring for the 20-50 rounds of Bear Ammo you use to function check the gun.

I use trijicon night sights but ameriglo is awesome as well. I carry mine in a gunfighters inc Keanu chest holster, that’s a perfect combo imo.

I’ve used the Glock 20 platform for several years, u have 3 of them, 2 gen4 and a gen3. Never had an issue with them or the kkm barrels.

I have a Glock 20 with stock spring and KKM barrel. Runs anything i feed it without issue. Check out the Underwood ammo...great stuff and runs hot. Their velocities are true to the listing (verified with my Magnetospeed).

Clint from Thunder Ranch is a wealth of knowledge concerning gunfights. He is super blunt and entertaining, and I recommend everyone watch his YouTube videos.

He has one about carrying a spare magazine.

Even if it isn’t topped off, it can be a very good idea, to replace one that is damaged, accidentally lost, or the plastic endplate pops off and the spring and Ammo vanish into the water.

To answer the OP questions, 20, two mags, 10 rounds each.

No mods, still working on perfect Ammo, but high quality JHPs in black bear country and 2 legged predator country

Totoro

WKR
For me, G20SF Gen3 with Bowie grip reduction and Heinie Ledge S8 glow in the darks.

Factory barrel and spring with 3.5lb Ghost disconnector.

Underwood 200gr XTP and spare mag.

JeepG20

FNG
Glock 20
I put a full spare mag in my pack.
Lone Wolf barrel, 22.5 lb spring

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rmauch20

WKR
The only modification of made any of my Glock’s is 3.5 disconnecter. As far as the recoil spring I would leave it stock. If you can afford enough 10 mm ammo to wear it out it’s a pretty cheap and easy placement.
Leave the barrel stock as well. I don’t think most people can shoot a handgun well enough to really notice the difference in replacement barrel.
As far as the 10 mm it’ll get the job done but I’m just not a huge fan of the large framed Glocks(45,10mm).

rope

FNG
G20 factory here, spare mag full load shooting barnes handloads. A word of caution I have seen 2 almost brand new 10mm when shooting buffalo bore, it pulled the polygonal rifling out, looked like black spaghetti hanging 2-3 inches out of the barrel. The gun store that sold and sent them back to Glock is waiting for glocks response.

Word is that it was the first mag; 7-10 rounds IIRC.

Haven't taken it into the backcountry yet but it will be replacing my Alaskan 454 in Alaska this fall. G29, gen 4, 4.6 inch Kkm barrel, 22# springs. So far, with limited shooting, not a single hiccup with Underwood hardcast 200s or 220s. FWIW I don't the recoil is bad at all - a pussycat compared to my Alaskan (which isn't that bad) or my hunting partner's Taurus tracker 44 with hot loads. Course it doesn't have near the power of either for that matter. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Totoro

WKR
Polygonal rifling and LHC do not play well together.

If you plan on shooting LHC dump in a LW, KKM, SL, BarSto and have it.

If the situation gets to the point where I have to draw and shoot, I am of the opinion to get the rounds to and on target as fast as I can. I not going to shoot 1/2/3 rounds of the heaviest of the heavies because frankly, under distress, the heavies and high velocity will cause a fair amount of muzzle rise.

Thus loss of sight picture, trigger control and accurate shot placement. The argument can be made that practice can help to cope. But lets be frank, how can one induce such stress to practice in case of a situation?

YMMV