Glock VS. Springfield XDM in 10mm?

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't shot an XD, but I have a G20 and I love it. Its got surprising light recoil. The palm safety could be an issue with heavier gloves or if you're being charged by a bear. I would get whatever feels best and shoot the hell out of it, so you get used to it.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I am not really getting the issue with the palm safety? If you grip the gun it is depressed.

I rarely wear a heavy glove. I will handle each and see what fits.

I am not really getting the issue with the palm safety? If you grip the gun it is depressed.

It was something I was concerned about .. I think the concept is if you are rolling around in the ground or shooting one handed etc it may be an issue... In practice, for me, it's not an issue ... Any reasonable grip that allows for you to pull the trigger depresses the safety. I was worried about my wife's small hands and covering it... But in her couple range sessions with it, it hasn't been an issue. I suppose if one was really concerned some grips tape or electrical tape would fix it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider

The issue with the palm safety is, in the heat of the moment, are you going to have a good grip or may your hand be cocked to one side or too low. I’m sure if you shoot it enough, it won’t be much of an issue, but if you’re not well versed with that gun, you may not get that safety pressed down enough to fire, as where a Glocks trigger safety is almost impossible to not hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd recommend the Springfield for two reasons.

The first and primary is that they can shoot +P loads whereas the Glock (of any model) cannot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Are you sure about that?? My S.O. transitioned from the S&W M&P .45 to the Glock 9 (34, 17, &19) and the Salesman and Armorer that came to demo the weapons recommended the Winchester Ranger 127 +P+, which is what we issue and carry now. This was about 4 years ago, has Glock changed their opinion on the use of the +P round in their pistols?

Reactions: DMG

eamyrick

WKR
Yeh nonsense that Glocks can’t or won’t shoot +p ammo. +p is almost all any Department issues including mine. I have shot thousands of +p rounds through glocks with zero issues. Also if you go to Buffalo Bores page he clears up the misconception that his ammo isn’t safe in stock glocks. It’s fine.

FLAK

WKR
Have a Glock 27 and 30SF which has a KKM barrel and heavier spring for shooting .45 Super. This is my bear protection gun. I preferred the heavier bullets out of a .45. Love both guns.
I do not have a Springfield to compare to though.
Like others have said, put both in your hands.

Last edited:

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
+P ammunition is not a problem with Glocks. Firearms manufacturers are reluctant to definitively comment on +P+ because it is not an official SAAMI recognized pressure-velocity standard. The issue with the XD grip safety is that it will deactivate the pistol unless a near perfect grip is established.....which is not always the way it works in a stressful situation. This is typically revealed quickly during serious defensive/CQB type pistol training. Note that Springfield skipped this “feature” on their newest Hellcat XD pistols for this reason. Regardless of which cal Glock you run, change the factory recoil spring proactively every 5,000 rounds and you’ll never have an issue. Skip the aftermarket parts and put your money into ammo and training.

Boy I have to say, I have an XDS (9MM) and my buddy has an XDM (.45) and neither of them shoot consistent groups no matter what modifying we've tried over the years. I'm looking at a Canik, Staccato, or Glock.

The Glock advantage is you can find parts for them just about anywhere, which is something to consider if you travel far and wide on your hunts. Never know what can go wrong...

Anyone have a comparison? I used to sell both firearms but it has been a while ago, never fired either in a 10.

Looking for a backcountry carry gun, figured the 10mm is solid and If I ever get into grizz country I am good to go, black bears seem attracted to me, so I either need to hunt them I carry something!

Not interested in the 10mm as a proper bear round debate!
I hunt regularly in grizzly country and carry a glock 29. I love it. I rotate between a couple different glocks for EDC, so it just made sense to go with the glock in 10mm for backcountry carry.

Beendare

WKR
Go shoot them both is goos advice especially if its for someone with small hands...BUT its worth noting;

Its been my experience; There are many first timers and or inexperienced pistol shooters that don't like Glocks on the first glance.

I take a lot of first timers and non gun folks out to a buddies ranch shooting and almost none like the Glocks the first time they shoot them.

<I'm trying to convert the "why does anyone need a gun crowd" one person at a time here in CA >

After some instruction on grip, and getting them up higher on the gun.....THEN its like a light goes off and they start to like Glocks. My guess is the LEO's here would concur.

Re Springer vs Glock. Both good.

____

Additional info, the Gen 5 Glocks (maybe not ALL models) barrel have traditional rifling as opposed to the original poly type rifling. I found my issued Gen 5 model 17 with the rifled barrel shoots half the group size as my older Gen 3 17 with the original barrel. I suppose too the Gen 5 barrels allow shooting lead or cast bullets without concern, although I never have done so.

Sobrbiker

WKR
If you prefer 1911 grip angle, XD.
If you shoot Glocks well, Glock.

The grip safety is a non issue, even in defensive situations. I’ve been shooting XD’s since before they were XD’s and have never had an issue.
Every sidearm that is to be carried in defense needs to be trained with, and training with a pistol includes gripping the gun properly. Remember that in a gunfight (be it against a bear or a human) only hits count, and making hits is a tough proposition if you are holding the pistol in a manner where the grip safety is not deployed.
The grip safety on XD’s is not the same as on a 1911, and even on 1991’s they get a bad rep from being poorly or improperly fitted.
Many will gripe about the grip safety, and lots of them will in the same breath tout a double action revolver of some huge caliber for the bear woods-news flash: ever try to limp wrist in a bad hold firing a Ruger Alaskan? The grip safety is way easier to not mess up and put rounds where you want them.

All that said, bottom line is it’s worth it to shoot both and invest in what you can make better hits with (even shooting same size models of different calibers, because finding 10mm of each you can shoot may be harder).

Sorry for the long post, but the anti-grip safety topic is usually knee jerk regurgitation. And if it’s that huge of a deal, grip safeties can be pinned (been done for decades).

Sobrbiker

WKR
Awesome post, thank you for taking the time!

Ok here's some comparison pics if it's helpful.

My sum up:

in hand ergos = XDM
shooting control-ability = Glock (feels like it handles recoil better I think due to lower bore axis)
after market = glock (but no issues getting holsters etc with the XDM)
disassembly = tie
heavy bullets = XDM (handles 220s factory, glock seems to handle 200s ok factory)
hardcast = XDM (tho keeping a clean barrel I have had 0 issues with hardcasts with the glock)
Trigger = glock - to be fair I have an after market spring, but even factory, I am not a big fan of the XDM trigger... it was much mushier

If you have newish to handguns or NOT a known glock guy - I would say XDM
If you have other glocks and know you can shoot them - I would say glock

my .02

Sadler

WKR
I prefer the grip on a Glock so I’d go that route. I’m not sure about the XD but I know that there is a LOT of aftermarket support for the Glock so you can really customize it to have it be exactly what you want. Trigger, sights, slide serrations, trimming weight off the slide, etc.

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Just take a look at what law enforcement and serious Mil/Govt customers use, especially at the Federal LE level. Those choices are made after incredible amounts of testing for durability, reliability, ease of maintenance, shooter performance etc. That should be your start point for a gun you may have to bet your life on. I’ve been in the middle of that for 20 years and run all the destructive, armorers and range testing. Plenty of good choices other than Glock, but none of them have a grip safety. Put some steel night sights on a G20 or G29 and you’re set. Then go train with it.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425