GMC 6.2L vs Chevy 5.3L

more frequet oil changes than gm recomends really helps. As does a tune to shut off cylender deavtivation permanently. We put combined over a bunch of trucks a few million miles on gm v8s with cylender activation with only 1 lifter failure. 2 months after buying a used truck so no maintance history is known. You will notice the guys who follow the gm rediclous recomended oil change interval have more lifter issues, but its not a cure all.

Ive done oil analisis on our trucks to help figure out when they should be changed. A good rule of thumb seems to be 1000 km not miles per liter of oil capasity. 14+ trucks have 8l while the older ones have less than 6l oil capasity.

my personal truck has 425,000 km, 09 silverado, afm deleted with tune at 300,000 km. only thing ever done to the engine is sparkplugs every 160,000 like recomended and 1 pcv valve. Runs like it always has. Parked outside its whole life cold starts every day, not an easy life, especially since we have like 6 months of winter.

Work truck is a 2017 6.2, afm delete with tune around 200,000 km, has 250,000 now no issues.

lets not pretend the other guys have no engine issue either, i have a knocking ford 5.0 right now with 430,000 km on it. heads done at 300,000 like so many of the 5.0s and now the bottom end is going.

Stay on top of an ecoboosts oil changes, again far less km than fords recomended intervals and they go a long time otherwide you will be doing phasers and timing chain.

OP
MOA Zach

MOA Zach

FNG
more frequet oil changes than gm recomends really helps. As does a tune to shut off cylender deavtivation permanently. We put combined over a bunch of trucks a few million miles on gm v8s with cylender activation with only 1 lifter failure. 2 months after buying a used truck so no maintance history is known. You will notice the guys who follow the gm rediclous recomended oil change interval have more lifter issues, but its not a cure all.

Ive done oil analisis on our trucks to help figure out when they should be changed. A good rule of thumb seems to be 1000 km not miles per liter of oil capasity. 14+ trucks have 8l while the older ones have less than 6l oil capasity.

my personal truck has 425,000 km, 09 silverado, afm deleted with tune at 300,000 km. only thing ever done to the engine is sparkplugs every 160,000 like recomended and 1 pcv valve. Runs like it always has. Parked outside its whole life cold starts every day, not an easy life, especially since we have like 6 months of winter.

Work truck is a 2017 6.2, afm delete with tune around 200,000 km, has 250,000 now no issues.

lets not pretend the other guys have no engine issue either, i have a knocking ford 5.0 right now with 430,000 km on it. heads done at 300,000 like so many of the 5.0s and now the bottom end is going.

Stay on top of an ecoboosts oil changes, again far less km than fords recomended intervals and they go a long time otherwide you will be doing phasers and timing chain.
Thank you for all the recommendations on how to keep it on the road longer. i have an ecoboost as well so the knowledge on that helps.