Stolen Jeep need a truck

Well. The title says it all. Some thug from thugvillle stole our 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee last week. They found it totaled in the ghetto with a nice red sash hanging from it and the drivers seat in gangster position. What blows is it has been paid for since we bought it in 2014 and have not had a single problem I couldn’t fix in my own garage. Once a year I replaced something in half a day and was back on the road. It pulled my Honda pioneer 1000-5 (albeit pretty rough) and it would get to our remote cabin where my family’s full size trucks couldn’t/wouldn’t. The kick in the nuts, the truck market today. I was going to make it last one or two more years. I only got 5k for the totaled out insurance.

Trucks I like for different reasons.

Ford Ranger tremor. Nimble and very off road capable. Pulls more than the Jeep so should handle my side by side well. I would chose it over the ZR2 for this reason bc the Chevy has a 5k tow capacity, which sucks because I really like the looks of that truck and you can get the diesel. Fair gas mileage for the first at 19. Looks good. Cons are I am afraid it would be like a tapas dinner, leaving me wanting more as a midsize truck and leave me with buyers regret. If the size is right, this seems like a winner. Anyone think the size is a handicap?

GMC Sierra 1500 AT4. My uncle and friend have one and love them. Both diesel 3.0l. Get upper 20’s gas mileage. and the price of this engine upgrade is very reasonable compared to other diesels. I have heard reliability issues though. Won’t be as nimble but I do have a side by side I could always take to the cabin instead of being the only one who can drive in.

Silverado ZR2 that is coming out. Too soon to see if it is good. Also unsure of the price but I assume similar to the tremor F150.

F150 Tremor. Looks awesome. Doesn’t quite have the off road goodies the ranger tremor has, but probably fine. Quite expensive. So I am not sure this package is worth it over an FX4. A plus, my wife likes the looks of the F150 over other brands.

Ram. Love the looks but I have yet to see one in my area not rusted out after a few years. I think someone would have to do some serious arm twisting to change my mind on this one.

Tundra. Everyone who has one loves it. I don’t love the looks. Hate the gas mileage but seems they may have fixed it but will need to get a new generation which may have issues. The first iteration of any new vehicle makes me a bit nervous about the kinks.

New vs used. I see used trucks with 40k miles that are being sold over brand new prices for the same model/package. I said I would never pay full price for a truck, but the price gouging on used ones leaves me sour. Definitely not going to pay over dealer prices for someone’s dirty laundry. I can pay cash for any of them. But I have never paid over 39K for a vehicle and it seems the newer and costlier, the more it needs repaired and the fewer repairs I can actually do out of my garage. So much electronic bs trinkets in these vehicles. My wife’s power steering module went out and come to find out it’s electronic and costs almost 2k just for the part.

Needs: 4x4. Some form of off road package as I have friends get stuck in light mud in their full size where my Jeep would handle with no problem. 4 door as I have a 6 and 7 year old. Can tow my side by side so I would prefer 7k or higher tow capacity. That would be a big improvement over my Jeep.

Wants but not deal breaker: leather, electric start.

Don’t care: screens and interior etc. I drove my 2005 and had zero problems. My truck before that was a 1992 F150 with manual transmission, roll up windows, no ac. That my friends was a truck. Diesel vs gas, I see pros and cons of both. Not sure I would disregard either.

Timing: I would prefer to get one soon. I drive a mustang GT as my daily driver. Not great in the winter if you can imagine. I can trade this in or keep it. It only has 75000 miles and runs great. That said, I can always limp along and get one when the truck I want pops up. I am not sure when that will be though.

Thoughts from anyone with newer trucks?

Thanks

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ryjack70ss
94c806c8dd752cd2f448370ffb66b7a3.jpg

c6e59a80ff073c23138e461263c6e7ef.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
I have a 2021 GMC SLT with the 3.0, already put 20k on it and it hasn’t even been a year, feels like I hardly pay for fuel, i get 22mpg in town and have been as high as 31mpg on the hwy. it isn’t a speed demon but man that engine pulls awesome especially in the mountains.

I’ve hauled my 1000-5 to CO and back to KS 3 times this year, don’t even know it’s there and for mileage pulling the 1000-5 on my 6x12 trailer i get around 17mpg.

It sips def fluid when not towing and drinks it fast when towing, def is cheap though, in 20k miles i maybe have spent $80 on def. I usually fill up the def at truck stops.

I had an egr starting to fail and a def injector fail, both didn’t require I not drive it and both repairs were done in half a day. Overall it’s been an amazing pickup and I would 100% buy it again.

I added a Rough Country 3.5” lift and it really makes a diff in ground clearance for an slt, the at4 has a 2” lift over what my stock slt had.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Dang- just hear to say thats a major bummer- the used truck market is killer right now- I was lucky to find mine and still think I overpaid lol 05 tundra with 189k for 9k

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have a 2021 Silverado RST Z71 with the 3.0 diesel. I wouldn’t buy another engine. My best is 32.9mpg, average is 26.6-27 around town! It’s ridiculous.

dtrkyman

WKR
I like a smaller vehicle for trails, looking at the Ranger myself, tremor or fx4 and add my own off road options? Saw a few reviews that had the Ranger most comfortable cabin over Chevy and Taco. Makes a difference for me I drive cross country often.

go_deep

WKR
Find comparable vehicles for sale in your area like the one that got totaled and provide that info to insurance, they should be able to make up the difference.

I bought a Nissan Titan 10 years ago, and would buy one again in a second. Never fix anything on it, get low 20's for mpg.

P.S. - argue with insurance. Their $5k offer was the sucker's offer. Make them prove you can get the same vehicle for $5k. Do some research to back up your number.
Original post says 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would say $5,000 was pretty good from an insurance company. But if he feels money was left on the table, then by all means argue away. My son has a 2004 and it is all fixed up and $5k would be a good price for it, in my opinion

OP
ryjack70ss
Rubicon Gladiator?

P.S. - argue with insurance. Their $5k offer was the sucker's offer. Make them prove you can get the same vehicle for $5k. Do some research to back up your number.

That would be an awesome vehicle but I think it can only tow 3500 lbs. deal breaker. Same with bronco. They actually cavalier just over 6k but I have a 1k deductible.

OP
ryjack70ss
I like a smaller vehicle for trails, looking at the Ranger myself, tremor or fx4 and add my own off road options? Saw a few reviews that had the Ranger most comfortable cabin over Chevy and Taco. Makes a difference for me I drive cross country often.

I agree. I may test drive it soon if I can find one. I dont see any near St. Louis right now.

OP
ryjack70ss
I have a 2021 Silverado RST Z71 with the 3.0 diesel. I wouldn’t buy another engine. My best is 32.9mpg, average is 26.6-27 around town! It’s ridiculous.

Awesome to hear. Why the z71 over the sierra at4?

svivian

WKR
I have a 2021 GMC SLT with the 3.0, already put 20k on it and it hasn’t even been a year, feels like I hardly pay for fuel, i get 22mpg in town and have been as high as 31mpg on the hwy. it isn’t a speed demon but man that engine pulls awesome especially in the mountains.

I’ve hauled my 1000-5 to CO and back to KS 3 times this year, don’t even know it’s there and for mileage pulling the 1000-5 on my 6x12 trailer i get around 17mpg.

It sips def fluid when not towing and drinks it fast when towing, def is cheap though, in 20k miles i maybe have spent $80 on def. I usually fill up the def at truck stops.

I had an egr starting to fail and a def injector fail, both didn’t require I not drive it and both repairs were done in half a day. Overall it’s been an amazing pickup and I would 100% buy it again.

I added a Rough Country 3.5” lift and it really makes a diff in ground clearance for an slt, the at4 has a 2” lift over what my stock slt had.
whats the tow capacity on that rig?

tdhanses

WKR
Awesome to hear. Why the z71 over the sierra at4?

I would say only reason for chevy over gmc would be if you found a better deal or if you prefer the look of one over the other, I prefer the gmc look and like the multi function tailgate but i believe the chevy has that option now.

I would say only reason for chevy over gmc would be if you found a better deal or if you prefer the look of one over the other, I prefer the gmc look and like the multi function tailgate but i believe the chevy has that option now.
Yeah I would agree. The AT4 and Z71 are the same. Pick what you like best.

Vandy321

WKR
Caveat this with I didn't see a price range?

Midsized - Ranger Tremor or Colorado ZR2

Full-size- (why would anyone buy a 1/2 ton full sized?) Get a 3/4 ton Powerwagon or if towing heavy is in the plans, but still been a capable truck on trail, the F250 tremor.