GMU 48 New Mexico

jmillr1

WKR
I recently drew GMU 48 for rifle in October. I'm just hoping someone can tell me how they fared in the unit and how the road system was and how you approached it going in. I've spotted a few road systems that look useable on onx and gohunt but just wanted a first hand look. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TexasMoose

FNG
Classified Approved
I recently drew GMU 48 for rifle in October. I'm just hoping someone can tell me how they fared in the unit and how the road system was and how you approached it going in. I've spotted a few road systems that look useable on onx and gohunt but just wanted a first hand look. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I’m hunting unit 48 in two weeks. Have you been yet? Any luck? I’m Scouting next week. I’m also interested in access information. We have a cabin on the northwest side just outside Angel fire. Curious if we should hike in or find a good access road.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
I'd recommend making some calls to NMSLO. That's what I ended up doing.

TexasMoose

FNG
Classified Approved
Thank you. I received some information from the state. Via email today. They have maps with good info about hunting access, camps sites etc.

Rockytop

FNG
I’m hunting unit 48 in two weeks. Have you been yet? Any luck? I’m Scouting next week. I’m also interested in access information. We have a cabin on the northwest side just outside Angel fire. Curious if we should hike in or find a good access road.
Curious how you guys did. We have a cabin in Black Lake and I’m wanting to learn about public land deer hunting in the area.

TexasMoose

FNG
Classified Approved
We received some maps prior to hunting, which was helpful. I ended up bringing an OHV (Mule). We registered it with the state and were able to travel through the state land to get to better hunting spots.

We saw one 5 x 5 but it was unfortunately on private property so we didn’t shoot it. Definitely keep your maps handy so you know where you are. We hunted hard up near Spruce Hill, but didn’t see any elk there. I’m not sure if the elk moved or if we spooked them. We tried, but no luck.

At Black Lake there’s an easy access road onto the state land. We saw a couple nice bucks not far from the entrance point onto the state land. Just remember that everybody else can access that location easily too so I recommend scouting before you hunt. We saw the most deer closer to Angel Fire on the northwest side of unit 48. Good luck!

Rockytop

FNG
Good Luck you'll need it! I did see tons of mule deer doe while looking for Bulls
Were the access roads dry for your trip? I’m familiar with that area, but I haven’t been on those trails with mud or snow. Not wanting to haul a UTV from TN if I don’t have to.