Go Pro Accessories - What do you need to film a hunt?

Hey folks. Will be picking up a go pro this year to film a hunt. For those that have used them what accessories work best to capture trip? I want to avoid taking anything unnecessary.

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
Billy Molls has a couple of videos on you tube that go into detail what he uses to video his hunts, including Go Pro.
wmd

If you plan on using a go pro as your primary camera to film a hunt, you will be disappointed in the final product... they have their place, but not as a primary camera for hunting

OP
O
If you plan on using a go pro as your primary camera to film a hunt, you will be disappointed in the final product... they have their place, but not as a primary camera for hunting
Can you expand on that a little? I am not looking to become the next youtube sensation with 697 views if that matters. I just want to capture more than I can right now with my iphone.

CB4

WKR
Can you expand on that a little? I am not looking to become the next youtube sensation with 697 views if that matters. I just want to capture more than I can right now with my iphone.
Go pros are great for wide angle shots. If you want good video of animals in the distance a standard camera is better. On a go pro a deer 30 yards away will look more like 80 yards.

Also my go pro failed when the temp dropped below freezing.

like CB4 mentioned, they make everything seem way further away than it is, what you capture will do the encounters NO justice at all. gopros are awesome little cameras, but for hunting, they are very niche, and never a good choice for a primary means of filming. you would be better off with a sony handycam or similar, or even something like the nikon coolpix, 4x zoom is a lot better than wide angle and no zoom.

i used to film a lot of fishing (salmon and steelhead) a gopro wasn't even a good option for that... they are great for supplementation shots, like mounting one on the rod just ahead of the reel on trolling bites, but i liked my waterproof coolpix much better. for hunting i have used several cameras, and without spending a bunch of money, those handycam style cameras with a cheap vanguard tripod are the best option for just documenting hunts, i like a camera with at least 30x zoom, that will give you a lot more content when the season is over, which you will understand the importance of when you start editing and making your video.

when you are filming stuff, you get excited about everything you get on film, but where the rubber meets the road is when you start watching video back and editing it, you will see that you really have to cherry pick the footage to make a video that's not boring or too drawn out.... you need lots of good footage to depict your hunt well, and make it flow.... a gopro won't do any of that, it's not worth the effort of editing it if you only use a gopro.

i have used gopros a bunch, i used to make a living on the bottom of the ocean, and they were great for that, small enough to always be there, but good enough to capture some cool shots. average water clarity in the ocean here in oregon is 10-ish ft, that is right in the wheelhouse of the gopros capability.... perfect camera for that stuff.

i assume you know someone who owns a gopro..... go to their house or borrow it, and film yourself shooting targets at 20-30yds, then watch the video on a computer or TV screen and you will see what i'm trying to convey.....