Gohunt draw odds UT

soyshaun

FNG
Well looks like the UDWR has screwd things up again. If you thought point creep was bad before now you can maybe draw LE when your 60. I was looking at getting any archery elk tag and some decent Muzzy or late season elk this next year but not now. I wish it wasn't all about the money with them!

Well looks like the UDWR has screwd things up again. If you thought point creep was bad before now you can maybe draw LE when your 60. I was looking at getting any archery elk tag and some decent Muzzy or late season elk this next year but not now. I wish it wasn't all about the money with them!
How so? They have reduced the age target and added hunts to issue more tags in most units. Or at least that's what I thought.

Seeing that you are frustrated about low odds to draw, doesn't that mean less tags and less money?
There has been a significant reduction of general deer tags recently at least

OP
S

soyshaun

FNG
How so? They have reduced the age target and added hunts to issue more tags in most units. Or at least that's what I thought.
Well according to Gohunt however accurate they, are I went from being able to draw any archery hunt, most muzzleloader hunts and a few good late season to pretty much having to wait another two to three years to get a decent tag and that's if I am lucky with point creep. With all the changes that they keep making "for the good" everyone keeps jumping around on what hunts the feel they can draw. I don't know it just seems like it is not getting any better.

OP
S

soyshaun

FNG
Would also be curious how they screwed it up again. LE tags have been hard to get for the last 27 years. It’s not anything new.

Would also be curious how they screwed it up again. LE tags have been hard to get for the last 27 years. It’s not anything new.

Corbland you're definitely right, it would just be nice to see it go the other way for a change and maybe just possibly get a little better!

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
I'm waiting for the day gohunt shows me what my odds are, versus what my odds were.
Ah yes, the much anticipated predict the future feature. You can take an educated guess at future draw odds with past point creep and applications. But it is impossible to tell how many people will apply for a certain unit, jump out of the "just buy a point" crowd, or switch what unit they apply for.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
With all the changes that they keep making "for the good" everyone keeps jumping around on what hunts the feel they can draw. I don't know it just seems like it is not getting any better.
If people are jumping around it means they feel like there is a tag they can finally draw and ultimately getting them out of the point pool is a good thing. That's part of the reason they have opened up different late season archery hunts and mid season rifle hunts. More tags, lower success rates = more people leaving the point pool with out additional strain on the resource. At least in theory. But it won't halt point creep, just slow it down a bit. I've seen the math worked out and unless your tag takes 3 points or less to draw point creep is an inevitability.

I don't want to spot burn or anything but I'll send you a pm, there is more opportunity out there than many people realize. Even on LE hunts. I'll send you a pm

CorbLand

WKR
Ii just gets discouraging when your odds continually get worse each new year, and well they are the ones that are supposed to be managing it so how is it not?
Their job is to manage wildlife for the people of their state. If the people of their state continually want less and less tags to increase quality, then they are doing their job.

DWR is not perfect, they make many mistakes but the vast majority of the blame should fall on the hunters in Utah. They have made it clear that they want to continue to cut tags and raise quality.

Because they aren't magic. They can't wave a wand and change the fact that demand is outpacing supply at an unprecedented rate. The DWR can do a few things to help populations, but even best case that would never match increasing demand for tags.
Want better draw odds? End the social media age of hunting. Keep it quiet, keep it a secret, and make the attention seeking losers go get real jobs.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
S

soyshaun

FNG
Their job is to manage wildlife for the people of their state. If the people of their state continually want less and less tags to increase quality, then they are doing their job.

DWR is not perfect, they make many mistakes but the vast majority of the blame should fall on the hunters in Utah. They have made it clear that they want to continue to cut tags and raise quality.
Hmmm that must be why they added the mid rifle and late season archery for elk to decrease tag numbers.

CorbLand

WKR
Hmmm that must be why they added the mid rifle and late season archery for elk to decrease tag numbers.
So you complain that your odds are horrible and its DWR fault while simultaneously saying that they increased hunts and tags?

Sense this makes not.

Yes, DWR has started to add more hunts because more and more people are starting to realize that waiting 40 years to draw a tag sucks. But those voices still havent out weighed those wanting to continually cut tags or stay the same.

I dont know where you are in the points scale but if you want to hunt, PM me and I can point you to a couple units that dont take max points to draw and are a decent hunt.

Last edited:
OP
S

soyshaun

FNG
So you complain that your odds are horrible and its DWR fault while simultaneously saying that they increased hunts and tags?

Sense this makes not.
That's what I'm trying to say, which one is it? You can't go in both directions and be successful in management of wildlife. Yes they increased tags but it didn't seem to do anything, maybe its to soon to tell but you look at past actions and nothing has improved for UT. If you can tell me one instance where the quality and number of big game animals has improved I will eat my words and be done with it. Maybe they aren't the reason hunting keeps going down it is all the hunters in the state but it doesn't seem like they are doing anything major to improve it...just keep kicking the rock down the road hoping something just might maybe possibly help out.

CorbLand

WKR
That's what I'm trying to say, which one is it? You can't go in both directions and be successful in management of wildlife. Yes they increased tags but it didn't seem to do anything, maybe its to soon to tell but you look at past actions and nothing has improved for UT. If you can tell me one instance where the quality and number of big game animals has improved I will eat my words and be done with it. Maybe they aren't the reason hunting keeps going down it is all the hunters in the state but it doesn't seem like they are doing anything major to improve it...just keep kicking the rock down the road hoping something just might maybe possibly help out.
They cant raise tag allocation enough to offset the raise in demand. Utah has seen an average of 7% increase in applications for the last couple of years. You would have to basically double tag allocations to offset that. There is nothing DWR can do about that. More and more people want to hunt.

There is a unit in the north that they cut tags. Quality and the number of elk has increased but due to the cut in tags, your odds of drawing it basically decreased by half. This was done fully at the request of hunters in the state of Utah.

If you are trying to say that continually cutting tags has not improved herd quality or quantity, you are preaching to the choir. I have been pounding that drum for years. I would also say go back and watch/read the DWR recommendations and then go and see what the wildlife board has voted to allow. Remember, the wildlife board is what controls hunting in Utah, not the DWR.

I do not disagree with you but I do disagree on who is to blame. What could the DWR do to fix this issue?

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I'm waiting for the day gohunt shows me what my odds are, versus what my odds were.

Ah yes, the much anticipated predict the future feature. You can take an educated guess at future draw odds with past point creep and applications. But it is impossible to tell how many people will apply for a certain unit, jump out of the "just buy a point" crowd, or switch what unit they apply for.
You forgot the annual point holder mortality equation worked into the matrix. You know, like the folks I plan on beating in Colorado when I draw a coveted unit 201 elk tag when I’m 105. Then I’ll achieve my ultimate goal of shooting a 370+ bull and sh** myself in a wheelchair at the same time.

Last edited:
OP
S

soyshaun

FNG
They cant raise tag allocation enough to offset the raise in demand. Utah has seen an average of 7% increase in applications for the last couple of years. You would have to basically double tag allocations to offset that. There is nothing DWR can do about that. More and more people want to hunt.

There is a unit in the north that they cut tags. Quality and the number of elk has increased but due to the cut in tags, your odds of drawing it basically decreased by half. This was done fully at the request of hunters in the state of Utah.

If you are trying to say that continually cutting tags has not improved herd quality or quantity, you are preaching to the choir. I have been pounding that drum for years. I would also say go back and watch/read the DWR recommendations and then go and see what the wildlife board has voted to allow. Remember, the wildlife board is what controls hunting in Utah, not the DWR.

I do not disagree with you but I do disagree on who is to blame. What could the DWR do to fix this issue?
Okay I'll give you that, I see that the DWR probably isn't the one to point the finger at.